Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2011-06-15 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3261680

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
Subject: RE: Mav's mentor group - CLOSED

Two days of NADA !! Little hectic at home this week. Going to try to either get out for a run or hit the gym at lunch today. Finally sunny again, so hoping to get to the trail for some outside time.

Nice Cycling Marianne & Mark !!
Happy to hear the knee is feeling good Mav!

Mark - sounds like the saddle tweak is working out great.
I would think those details become very important in the longer races.
Best of Luck!!

2011-06-15 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3550128

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
I wish I had switched seat posts months ago.  The forward position allows me to generate power with ease.  That sounds like a contradiction, but it's what I have been searching for, balance. 

Last weekends 70miler was a great ride.  I was able to crush the ride and stay in z2.  Average 20.5 pace.  Thats what happens when i target 18.5 as the zone.  Started easy and stayed in that efficiency mode.  Without a specific target I tend to go faster and faster until the legs are shredded.  Mental focus on easy pace and staying in great form.  I think I have the good idea now of pacing for HIM.

Hydration good but Nutrition still need some work.  3 hours on the bike. 5 24oz bottles of nuun, with salt stix each hour.  Hydration seems good.  But nutrition was weak.  I only consumed 2 gu and 2 half bananas.   Thats way low on the number calories consumed.  I finished the ride with a bar, coookie and gel in my jersey pockets.

Still three weeks to tweak the nutro plan.

Cheers.
2011-06-16 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3550275

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens

There is nothing I would change about my bike.  I can't believe I'm saying this.

I'm experimenting with a new electrolyte drink, Gatoraid Pro Endurance formula.  This is the on course beverage for the upcoming HIM.  So far I'm not a big fan.  I've tried the beverage diluted 50 percent, on ice and straight from the bottle.  Each mix was tested drinking 20oz total over 1 hour.  Sipping every 5 minutes with bigger gulps near the end of the testing session.  The taste is ok.  It's a bit rough on the gut.  It tastes salty but I'm feeling a bit crampy in the calves, quads and hammies after an hour of hard training.   Hard training means 3x10min in z3-4 and 4x3 minutes in z5a-b.  This is an effort above race pace but a typical F!T training session.

If I cannot tolerate G.Pro I'll need to carry my own electrolyte.  If I decide to go with 50/50 that complicates race planning but is doable.

Cheers,

2011-06-17 6:48 AM

Uxbridge

That Gatorade mix was very rough on my gut too. I have a stomach of steel and I can use it. Try infinit. Most people have pretty good luck with it and you can adjust the calories to meet your needs.

I have my HIM aquabike tomorrow. Busy day today

2011-06-18 9:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Superior

hey everyone, looks like you are all having great times. I picked up my packet for the 5430 Tri Sprint in Boulder. Tomorrow is race day. Hoping to just finish, I've been on my bike and running, not to much swim just resting the shoulders as much as possible. Talked with a physical therapist and have been doing mostly stretches, so tomorrow we will see. Good luck to all for the rest of the race season.

Mav and all thanks so much for the information and support.Laughing

2011-06-29 5:57 PM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA

I'm alive

It's quiet...did everyone leave?

Here goes the update for me...I am starting to get back on the horse and unfortunately I have a long, long way to go before I will be completely back in the saddle. Ok enough of the references...I am starting from the absolute bottom and building my way up so that I don't kill myself - or get injured in the process I have my co workers thinking about starting a team up for next years ski to sea. Some of them are really active and others, well not so much but it would be fun if I can actually get it together

Everyone else needs to fill me in!!!!

2011-06-29 6:42 PM
in reply to: #3573709

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
Alive is good.

My A race of all time is coming up in less than 2 weeks.  So I'm taking it easy and staying healthy.  This will be the first race I've ever entered where I have not had any nagging injuries at the start line.  I'm going to have fun, and thats that.  70.3 is a long way to go, but just half of next years goal.  I'm having a blast training and racing short courses, but part of me wants to start preparing for long course.  So make a goal, catch your breath and enjoy the journey.

See you at the start line.
2011-07-01 11:16 PM

New user

It's been a loooong time since I've logged on but I'm back.  I had to get rid of the internet/cable for a while to cut down on my monthly spending.   If you remember I had signed up for a sprint tri and my (now) ex-husband laughed and told me I wouldn't be able to do it.  The past four months have been insanely busy with work, a new job, selling our house, moving, yadda yadda yadda.  With everything going on my training has been pretty limited and the tri is next weekend.   I've learned while training that I'm an incredibly weak swimmer and I'm very nervous.  (To the point where I want to back out of it.)  I've been teetering back and forth all week whether or not to drop out.  I want to do it for me and it will be a huge accomplishment to just finish.  But I am having a difficult time getting over this swim issue.  Any advice?  Tips? 

2011-07-02 6:13 AM
in reply to: #3577892

Uxbridge
ktaho - 2011-07-02 12:16 AM

It's been a loooong time since I've logged on but I'm back.  I had to get rid of the internet/cable for a while to cut down on my monthly spending.   If you remember I had signed up for a sprint tri and my (now) ex-husband laughed and told me I wouldn't be able to do it.  The past four months have been insanely busy with work, a new job, selling our house, moving, yadda yadda yadda.  With everything going on my training has been pretty limited and the tri is next weekend.   I've learned while training that I'm an incredibly weak swimmer and I'm very nervous.  (To the point where I want to back out of it.)  I've been teetering back and forth all week whether or not to drop out.  I want to do it for me and it will be a huge accomplishment to just finish.  But I am having a difficult time getting over this swim issue.  Any advice?  Tips? 

Welcome back. Glad life seems to be settling for you!

DO THE TRI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DO THE TRI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whats the worse that can happen???????????? My goal of my first race was not to finish last and not to puke!!! SO what if you are not a "strong swimmer". You can do the distance. Place yourself at the back of the pack, count to 10 after the start ...get in the water and swim. Make the goal to finish. You can do this.

2011-07-02 6:20 AM
in reply to: #3573751

Uxbridge

Fit4Infinity - 2011-06-29 7:42 PM Alive is good.

My A race of all time is coming up in less than 2 weeks.  So I'm taking it easy and staying healthy.  This will be the first race I've ever entered where I have not had any nagging injuries at the start line.  I'm going to have fun, and thats that.  70.3 is a long way to go, but just half of next years goal.  I'm having a blast training and racing short courses, but part of me wants to start preparing for long course.  So make a goal, catch your breath and enjoy the journey.

Getting close for you Mark!!!!!So glad you are well and made it to the start line uninjured Did you sign up to volunteer for IMAZ?

2011-07-02 6:27 AM

Uxbridge

Michelle Happy to see you are back in the game. Doesnt matter that you took time off, what matters that you are coming back to training again. Slow and steady

Sorry I have been pretty absent. My father in law died unexpectedly so we were in Florida for a week. As sad as it was, I am glad it was sudden and there was no suffering. There are still alot of loose ends to tie up but I am glad to be home.

I rode a century this week. I have a friend who is doing IMLP and he needed to do a long ride . We did the ride on Cape Cod and it was beautiful. Gorgeous beaches dunes and scenery. I would do it agin in a heartbeat. One of the prettiest rides I have ever done. At mile 95 we jumped in a lake to clean off.Awesome day!!! Still not running but my knee is improving. My swimming has improved with masters swimming. If anyone needs to improve the swim I highly suggest Masters.

Hope you all have a wonderful 4th of July!!!!

2011-07-02 11:16 AM
in reply to: #3577988

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
mav - 2011-07-02 4:20 AM

Getting close for you Mark!!!!!So glad you are well and made it to the start line uninjured Did you sign up to volunteer for IMAZ?

I'm in - Signed up for two slots Bike-Checkin on Sat and Bike Handler on Sunday morning.  Wow, I'm really doing this. 

While I'm over the top with excitement (and a little apprehension about what I am about to do) I can feel the excitement of building towards IMAZ 2012. Yeah baby! It comes with a complete set of goosebumps.

Good Luck racers.  I'm in taper, so go swim/bike/run something fast for me.

2011-07-05 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT

Marianne - so sorry to hear about your father-in-law.??
Michelle - happy to see that you are back to training :D
ktaho - Welcome Back!! GO FOR IT !! Start in the back, just swim very relaxed, take your time and save your energy for the bike & run. The swim is the shortest part of the race. Hope you do it ! Best of Luck !!
Terry - good luck in rehabbing the shoulder.
Fit4Infinity - Sounds like your in great shape for your up coming A race !! Kill it!

ME - I'm Finally caught up on logging my workouts/races from this past weekend.
Finally put up a mini-Tri and a 5k. Mini-Tris might be all i'm going to be able to do this summer. Lots of stuff going on at home. Afraid to plunk down close to $100 on a race that i may not be able to make it to.

2011-07-05 12:36 PM
in reply to: #3573751

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA

Fit4Infinity - 2011-06-29 4:42 PM Alive is good.

God knows you've worked your arse off so i'm not surprised that you are feeling good about your race

2011-07-05 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3577892

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
ktaho - 2011-07-01 9:16 PM

I must say GO FOR IT! Just go into it to have fun and learn from it for future races...don't put any pressure on yourself and you'll do great

2011-07-05 12:41 PM
in reply to: #3577984

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
mav - 2011-07-02 4:13 AM
ktaho - 2011-07-02 12:16 AM

Welcome back. Glad life seems to be settling for you!

DO THE TRI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DO THE TRI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whats the worse that can happen???????????? My goal of my first race was not to finish last and not to puke!!! SO what if you are not a "strong swimmer". You can do the distance. Place yourself at the back of the pack, count to 10 after the start ...get in the water and swim. Make the goal to finish. You can do this.

I had to chuckle...here's a little feel good story:

My first tri was going to be the Honolulu tri. I went into it with the goal of finishing but just not last. 2 weeks before the race they changed it to a duathlon due to the dang jelly fish invasion. Crap..now I have to run/bike/run! I did it anyway and guess what?? I took first in my age division ~ funny thing is I didn't even look at the board to see where I placed since I "knew" it wouldn't be anything to brag about. Another HI BTer came up to me and was the one who told me

2011-07-05 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3577990

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
mav - 2011-07-02 4:27 AM

Michelle Happy to see you are back in the game. Doesnt matter that you took time off, what matters that you are coming back to training again. Slow and steady

Sorry I have been pretty absent. My father in law died unexpectedly so we were in Florida for a week. As sad as it was, I am glad it was sudden and there was no suffering. There are still alot of loose ends to tie up but I am glad to be home.

I rode a century this week. I have a friend who is doing IMLP and he needed to do a long ride . We did the ride on Cape Cod and it was beautiful. Gorgeous beaches dunes and scenery. I would do it agin in a heartbeat. One of the prettiest rides I have ever done. At mile 95 we jumped in a lake to clean off.Awesome day!!! Still not running but my knee is improving. My swimming has improved with masters swimming. If anyone needs to improve the swim I highly suggest Masters.

Hope you all have a wonderful 4th of July!!!!

Marianne, I am so very sorry about your father in law ~ My condolences to you and your family!!!

However, your century sounds amazing I am happy to hear your knee (and swim) is doing so much better!

2011-07-05 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3581124

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
rbriggz - 2011-07-05 8:42 AM

Marianne - so sorry to hear about your father-in-law.??
Michelle - happy to see that you are back to training :D
ktaho - Welcome Back!! GO FOR IT !! Start in the back, just swim very relaxed, take your time and save your energy for the bike & run. The swim is the shortest part of the race. Hope you do it ! Best of Luck !!
Terry - good luck in rehabbing the shoulder.
Fit4Infinity - Sounds like your in great shape for your up coming A race !! Kill it!

ME - I'm Finally caught up on logging my workouts/races from this past weekend.
Finally put up a mini-Tri and a 5k. Mini-Tris might be all i'm going to be able to do this summer. Lots of stuff going on at home. Afraid to plunk down close to $100 on a race that i may not be able to make it to.

Thanks Bob! I am the first to get the "stuff going on at home" thing so good for you for just taking it easy and doing what you can!!

2011-07-05 12:50 PM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA

Soooooo, how was everyone's 4th?  What'dya do?

We went camping at a lake we used to frequent last time we lived here and spent the entire weekend out on our boat ~ it was FABULOUS!!!

2011-07-07 3:26 PM
in reply to: #3581432

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
Happychick - 2011-07-05 1:50 PM

Soooooo, how was everyone's 4th?  What'dya do?

We went camping at a lake we used to frequent last time we lived here and spent the entire weekend out on our boat ~ it was FABULOUS!!!

Weekend on the boat SOUNDS fabulous !! I don't know what it was like around the rest of the US, but it seems like there were an incredible amount of home fireworks shows going on. Way more than i can ever remember. My doggy didn't like it ;(

When we finally heard sirens we first thought - the police are going to someones house.
Then - I hope no one got hurt.
Then - It's not police or ambulance, it's firetrucks!! And they are across the street !!
Turns out, it wasn't fireworks at all. My "electrician" neighbor apparently jury-rigged his water heater and it caught fire while he was away camping. Luckily, someone was watching the house and they took care of the water heater fire without any damage to the house.

2011-07-08 8:05 AM

Uxbridge

Yikes Bob...sounds scary. Good thing they had someone watching.

HOPE YOU WILL ALL JOIN ME IN WISHING FIT A GREAT RACE!!!! His HIM is this weekend As  we all know he has trained his a$$ off. Cant wait to see how much fun he has

GO MARK GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2011-07-10 10:04 PM
in reply to: #3586138

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
mav - 2011-07-08 9:05 AM

Yikes Bob...sounds scary. Good thing they had someone watching.

HOPE YOU WILL ALL JOIN ME IN WISHING FIT A GREAT RACE!!!! His HIM is this weekend As  we all know he has trained his a$$ off. Cant wait to see how much fun he has

GO MARK GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes Mr. Fit4 has been training like a madman !!

Hope it was a great experience !!

2011-07-11 11:42 AM
in reply to: #3589694

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens

Half Rev3 Portland 70.3 was a fantastic race with an emotional eruption of joy at the finish line.  I'll post a complete race report after I have a few moments to compose my thoughts.  I still get goosebumps thinking about it, wow!!

2011-07-11 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3590565

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
Yes I trained my a$$ off.  So many training miles that on race day my fuel belt keep sliding off my a$$. 

On race day, I consumed 10 bottles of gatoraid pro electrolyte drink, countless gels, countless cups of water, coke, and more cups gatoraid on the run,  a Qudoba burrito at the finishline celebration, 4 bottles of water and 32oz of MOnster protein drink on the 200 mile drive home.

When I got on the scale this morning I was 8 pounds lighter.  Wow.
I feel so good.
2011-07-12 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3590601

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens

Just stopping by to say hello and let everyone know I'm alive.  My legs are quite fried.  Working on soft stretching and pressure point massage.   The brite side is all my aches are muscle related which usually take around 2-3 days to recover.  I've been here before.  The only unusual is some soreness in my right foot.  I recall exactly when my foot complained loudly.  With just 2 miles to go my right leg cramped and locked out.  I took about three stiff legged strides before putting on the breaks on the run to work out the complete quad, hamstring, and calf cramp.   

Cheers

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mav's mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 31