General Discussion Triathlon Talk » foot strike change, should I change shoes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-28 6:43 PM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: foot strike change, should I change shoes?
This fall I started running more on grass hoping to ease some of the pounding to my joints and knees. For some reason I started to run more off the balls of my feet while doing this. I was not really aware of it at first but as I would switch between grass and road my foot strike would change. So I started trying it on all surfaces and it turns out I like running this way better. I have eased into it and everything seems to be going fine besides a sore bunion but it gets sore anyway.

So, I'm due for new shoes and going shopping tomorrow. What to do? Stick with my same old Mizuno wave inspires (been wearing this series for about 3 years) or try out something different?

2010-12-28 6:52 PM
in reply to: #3265181

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: foot strike change, should I change shoes?
I stayed with the same shoes for training and have had no problems. I use other shoes for racing though.
2010-12-28 7:20 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
If you've been using them for 3 years -- including running on grass this fall -- with no issues, then don't change.
2010-12-28 8:04 PM

Expert
I also have Wave Inspire and just had similar issue.  It's not just if it ain't broke don't fix it--if you really want to improve and become faster and more efficient then you may want to consider it.  Newton makes some pretty good forefoot/midfoot shoes--just bought a pair and great results so far, and people really like the saucony kinvara.  Try something new at the running shop!
2010-12-28 9:28 PM
in reply to: #3265305

User image

Champion
JG_GreenCoast - 2010-12-28 7:04 PM

I also have Wave Inspire and just had similar issue. It's not just if it ain't broke don't fix it--if you really want to improve and become faster and more efficient then you may want to consider it. Newton makes some pretty good forefoot/midfoot shoes--just bought a pair and great results so far, and people really like the saucony kinvara. Try something new at the running shop!

personally, if you don't have a good reason to switch, i would not, especially for a training shoe. race shoe possibly, but if things are going well, you can afford them, you are not getting hurt, i'd hold onto them. there is zero reason to change and a whole host of reasons not too.
2010-12-28 10:00 PM

User image

Bronze member
Ok! Sounds like I'll stick with what my foot knows best!

2010-12-28 10:57 PM

User image

Pro
I've found that going with a less cushioned, less supportive shoe- encourages me to run more fore-foot.  When I wear my stability shoes, I naturally heal strike more.  So, you may want to try 'less' of a shoe, now that you've changed your stride.

2010-12-29 6:23 AM
in reply to: #3265305

User image

Bronze member
JG_GreenCoast - 2010-12-28 8:04 PM I also have Wave Inspire and just had similar issue.  It's not just if it ain't broke don't fix it--if you really want to improve and become faster and more efficient then you may want to consider it.  Newton makes some pretty good forefoot/midfoot shoes--just bought a pair and great results so far, and people really like the saucony kinvara.  Try something new at the running shop!

Missed this last night! Interesting since you wore the wave inspire too. I don't think our shop carries Newton shoes although I don't really know. I'm hoping the shop can work with me a little today, maybe check out my gait on the video analysis. We'll see, my kids will be along so this is questionable and also the reason I always buy the same shoes. No time to shop for anything else
2010-12-29 7:11 AM

Expert
They'll prob be right to stick with the wave inspire still.  Just a thought if you are interested but obviously someone who's never met you (me) doesn't know best.
2010-12-29 7:49 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Another vote for sticking with what works.

Shane
2010-12-29 9:59 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I'll go ahead and be the odd one here and suggest that you should consider it. Here's why: Those Wave Inspires have a 12mm heel drop, meaning that, at rest, the heel sits 12mm higher off the ground than the forefoot. Now imagine running along trying to get your forefoot down first -- you'll have to plantar-flex your foot 12mm MORE just to get past the heel cushion of the shoe just to make that happen. And that's when the shoes are new -- add the compression of the forefoot (which usually is more than the heel), and it just gets worse. Along with the plantar-flexion comes the angle that your metatarsals take load. When that angle increases, the natural protection under the metatarsal heads isn't in the right place, and you risk a whole host of problems.

Here's a link to a listing of heel drop for a whole lot of shoes (http://minimalistrunningshoes.org/reviews/shoe-differentials-a-collective-summary). I'd suggest taking a look at something with less (much less, if you can swing it) heel drop. But also, CAUTION!!! This change-up is going to stress your calves in a different way, and you may experience some soreness. Introduce the new shoes into your running slowly, stretch and massage a lot.

Edited by briderdt 2010-12-29 10:00 AM

2010-12-29 10:27 AM

Expert
Cool chart, thanks for posting that.  Glad what I thought was consistent (it's not unusual for me to be totally misguided!) in suggesting Newton's (I run on the gravity) or Saucony Kinvara.  Happy running!
2010-12-29 11:06 AM

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI
Interesting spreadsheet. I train in Brook Launch and race in Kinvara. I like both of them a lot. I started in Newtons, but the strike pad irritated my foot. I have tried a ton of shoes. I need a neutral light shoe. The Launch series seems to work the best for me.

I am looking forward to trying a couple new shoes this year. Asic is bringing out the Noosa. They look fun. Saucony is bringing out the Mirage, which is a beefed up version of the Kinvara.
2010-12-29 8:53 PM

User image

Bronze member
Back from the shopping day. Ended up changing for a little more structured Mizuno. They put me on the treadmill and did a gait analysis - scary, very scary. No wonder I have so many problems: twisted ankles my entire life, bunion pain,  and knee issues. It's amazing I can even run at all after watching that. Sheesh, I need to get that video out of my head, it's messing me up. Let's just say I pronate and have no arch. My running stride looked like my ankle bone was going to touch the treadmill!!

2010-12-29 8:59 PM
in reply to: #3266042

User image

Bronze member
briderdt - 2010-12-29 9:59 AM I'll go ahead and be the odd one here and suggest that you should consider it. Here's why: Those Wave Inspires have a 12mm heel drop, meaning that, at rest, the heel sits 12mm higher off the ground than the forefoot. Now imagine running along trying to get your forefoot down first -- you'll have to plantar-flex your foot 12mm MORE just to get past the heel cushion of the shoe just to make that happen. And that's when the shoes are new -- add the compression of the forefoot (which usually is more than the heel), and it just gets worse. Along with the plantar-flexion comes the angle that your metatarsals take load. When that angle increases, the natural protection under the metatarsal heads isn't in the right place, and you risk a whole host of problems.

Here's a link to a listing of heel drop for a whole lot of shoes (http://minimalistrunningshoes.org/reviews/shoe-differentials-a-collective-summary). I'd suggest taking a look at something with less (much less, if you can swing it) heel drop. But also, CAUTION!!! This change-up is going to stress your calves in a different way, and you may experience some soreness. Introduce the new shoes into your running slowly, stretch and massage a lot.

Interesting info. Didn't see it until I got home but I'll keep this in mind if these shoes don't work out. Thank you for the link! I really love reading about all this shoe stuff for some reason.
2010-12-29 9:43 PM
in reply to: #3267232

Expert
trigal38 - 2010-12-29 8:53 PM Back from the shopping day. Ended up changing for a little more structured Mizuno. They put me on the treadmill and did a gait analysis - scary, very scary. No wonder I have so many problems: twisted ankles my entire life, bunion pain,  and knee issues. It's amazing I can even run at all after watching that. Sheesh, I need to get that video out of my head, it's messing me up. Let's just say I pronate and have no arch. My running stride looked like my ankle bone was going to touch the treadmill!!

what'd you get, wave rider?

2010-12-29 11:10 PM

User image

Bronze member
No, Alchemy I think. I'll run tomorrow so we'll see what happens.
2010-12-29 11:17 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I just read an article about a study done by the army/armed services. Thousands of recruits. 1/2 placed in "stability" shoes, 1/2 placed in shoes that "matched" their foot structure. Same injury rate in both groups.

Some limitations apply to this study and the topic of this thread, but the study seems to imply that the type of shoe does not matter in regards to prevention of injury. I'll post the link when I come across it again.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » foot strike change, should I change shoes? Rss Feed