United States
Jack and Adam's Bicycles
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 10s
Overall Rank = 39/364
Age Group = Men 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/32
Pre-race routine:

Tried to keep things consistent with other races. Up at about 5:15 am and out the door a little after 5:30. Einstein Brothers wasn't open yet, so I settled for a couple of breakfast tacos and some Diet Coke from Taco Cabana. Got to the site a little later than I'd like. My first two tris I was there right when transition opened. I still got a decent spot towards the bike exit.
Event warmup:

Did about a 10-minute jog with some bounding, skips, etc. Stretched a bit after and then got in the water for a warm-up swim of about 200-250 meters.
Swim
  • 09m 31s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

Decent swim overall. There was some body bashing in the early goings, but overall, it wasn't too bad. I followed the advice given in the pre-race meeting. The bouys were pretty much right under the tow cable over the lake. This allowed me to sight less often. Instead, I just kept the cable straight overhead. I wouldn't have realized this if I hadn't listened to it.

I got held up on two of the turns because of slower people from the wave in front of me. At the second bouy, there were two guys actually holding on to the bouy itself.
What would you do differently?:

Solid swim without any mistakes I can think of. I may have went out a little hard, but I settled in to a good, hard effort.
Transition 1
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

Very good transition. I had a very small mistake getting my helmet on that cost me only a second or two. Other than that, I think I did as well as I could. Checking the standings, it looks like I had only 9 people that were faster in T1 than I was, so I guess that's pretty good.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 40m 25s
  • 14.8 miles
  • 21.97 mile/hr
Comments:

Woohoo! I knew I was going to have a solid bike performance today just based on my most recent bike training. I didn't expect that I'd be able to average 22 mph, though!

The start of the bike was solid, first time racing with my shoes already in the pedals. I got on them pretty easily even though I had forgotten rubber bands to hold the shoes in place. Getting in them went well. This is where I'm sure I saved quite a few seconds not putting my shoes on in T1.

The rest of the bike was uneventful. I think I was pretty much right at LT the whole time.

My rear wheel has a small crack in the carbon fiber. I'm not sure if had an effect on the race, but I won't have to worry about it for the 1/2 next month since I'll have my disc cover and my new PT wheel by then.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Had two guys in front of me literally stop at the dismount line, blocking the whole thing. In the meantime, I'm flying in with on foot on the pedals and feet already out of my shoes. I ended up going around them both. I did slip a bit as I got my left foot out, but I doubt it cost me anything.

The rest of the transition went well, though I missed the first time I tried to put my foot in. Overall, 27 out of the 39 people ahead of me had faster T2 times.

More practice for that one.
Run
  • 22m 54s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Typical of my other races, I lost time on the run. I was 9th in my age group on both the swim and bike, but 13th on the run. I'm not too worried about it, really. Those times will come down some with more training.

I know I had a couple of people in my age group pass me on the run, including a guy on the final stretch. By the time I realized he was in my group, he was already 10-15 feet ahead of me with only about 20 yards to go. It didn't bother me too much. It's not like it cost me a podium spot.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. Just walked around, drank water, and stretched some.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just training.

Event comments:

Another good race by Jack and Adam's. They do a good job with these short races.

Last updated: 2005-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:31 | 500 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/32
Overall: 58/364
Performance: Good
Suit: Javelin Two piece suit
Course: Counter-clockwise loop around the island of the tow lake at Texas Ski Ranch
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:35
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:25 | 14.8 miles | 21.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/32
Overall: 32/364
Wind: Little
Course: Rectangular course. Some of the roads on the back stretch were pretty rough.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:54 | 03 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/32
Overall: 89/364
Course: Out and back on single lane.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-05 2:33 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Subject: Jack's Generic Triathlon

2005-09-05 8:00 PM
in reply to: #217765

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Subject: RE: Jack's Generic Triathlon
I'm replying to my own race report to bump it on the race reports discussion.
2005-09-05 8:06 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

Great race Dennis....I'll take your run pace any day of the week!!  You looked pretty damn strong when I passed you going the other way.

Didn't see you post-race...hope to visit with you at the next one.

2005-09-05 9:03 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-09-06 12:00 AM

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Great job!  You worry about transitions too much
2005-09-06 9:00 AM