General Discussion Race Reports! » Sergeant Preston Yukon King 6 Mile Memorial Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sergeant Preston Yukon King 6 Mile Memorial Run - RunOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Muskegon, Michigan
United States
Runner's Edge
30F / -1C
Overcast
Total Time = 39m 55s
Overall Rank = 15/154
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/12
Pre-race routine:

Decided to do this race one week before the race since it was close to home and we did not have any big new years eve plans. We went to a friends early in the night and came home pretty early. I did have quite a few whiskey drinks though :).

Event warmup:

The race did not start until 11:00 a.m. Got up at 9:00 and had some coffee and pop tarts. The weather got much colder since yesterday and really windy but luckily the roads were clear and dry.
On the way to the race..Rachael told me I smelled like whiskey..haha. My response..yeah don't expect anything special out there today! I ran a 1 mile warmup with some strides and tried to stay warm before the race.
Run
  • 39m 55s
  • 6 miles
  • 06m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Not sure what I would be able to do pace wise for this run. I have not run more than 20mpw since summer but was still running consistently 3 days a week. I should be able to hold 6:30s if I was in good shape so 6:40s seemed reasonable especially with the big hill climb thrown in there. It was also really windy so knew that might affect things a bit. I wanted to hold even splits and possibly negative split the race. I was surprised to see so many people out front after the start running ~6 min/mi. We start with a short 1 mile out and back that is fairly flat and then reach the big hill climb. I was able to pass 2 runners on the climb and felt good but they passed me again on the descent. Apparently, I cannot descend very well. Once you reach the bottom of the hill it opens up to Lake Michigan and we got slapped in the face with the wind. There were huge waves out there and the wind was howling. I passed the 2 guys back on this section and then targeted the next runner up ahead. Mile 2-3 is rolling terrain on Memorial drive and then it is fairly flat to the finish. I passed another runner at mile 3.5 and was feeling pretty good and running right at 6:40s. The womens OA winner came up on my shoulder at about mile 5 and I stayed with her. We passed another runner at mile 5.5 and then in the last 0.25 mile I turned on the jets and finished just in front of her. I probably left some time out there judging by how much I had left at the end but ok with the time.
What would you do differently?:

Cannot really be disappointed on less than 20 mi/wk of running since September.
Post race
Warm down:

It was cold! Got some chili and a water and took off right after.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not much running volume since September.

Event comments:

Good low key race!

Last updated: 2010-12-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:39:55 | 06 miles | 06m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 15/154
Performance: Average
Course: Start at Winter Sports Complex..short out and back on scenic..south to Blockhouse hill climb and loop to east - Memorial - Peterson - Fenner.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-01-03 7:34 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: Sergeant Preston Yukon King 6 Mile Memorial Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sergeant Preston Yukon King 6 Mile Memorial Run Rss Feed