BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Holt's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2011-06-12 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3282419

New user
Walterboro
Subject: RE: Holt's Mentor Group - CLOSED
Great job on the race sdejan.  Keep training, 30 July is not far away.

2011-06-12 10:09 PM
in reply to: #3544733

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
sdejan - 2011-06-12 11:05 AM

First, thanks for all the support last night!  What a case of nerves!

Today's sprint was awesome!  750m swim, 14.25m bike, 5k.  It was an all-women's event.  There were about 2000 women there, roughly half of whom were doing their first tri.  The weather was perfect - overcast and a little chilly for the swim, but that just made the water feel warm, and 60ish and sunny for the bike/run.  It was incredibly well organized and smoothly run.  It was a SheROX event for ovarian cancer.

The swim was good.  I was a little worried because when I did my practice swim in the wetsuit, my arms felt very heavy.  But I didn't notice that at all today.  I had to go more slowly than usual because there were a lot of bodies in a small space (serpentine swim), and that probably helped.  Time 13:49.

The bike was fine.  I might have been able to go faster, but my legs certainly felt it and I did pretty well IMHO.  It was basically like a training ride, only this time instead of picturing myself in a race, I was actually in one!  Time 53:13.

The run, well, I definitely need more training.  I did a fair amount of walking in the first half.  One goal I had was not to walk, but it's ok.  I didn't walk the second half and finished with a sprint.  Kind of a sprint.  Time 34:29.

Transitions were slow.  I wasn't rushing any.  Overall time 1:50:23, rank 87/149 in my division, 828/1468 overall.  They did say it was about 2000 athletes, so I'm not sure where the other 600 went.  Anyway, I'm happy.

Thank you to everyone in this group!  You have been a huge support through my initial training!  My next race is 7/30 and it will be a true OWS in Lake Michigan.  I'm bitten by the bug!!!

GOOD FOR YOU!! You did it. You rock! Nice job. It sounds like you had a great attitude for the race.
2011-06-12 11:12 PM

New user

The run, well, I definitely need more training.  I did a fair amount of walking in the first half.  One goal I had was not to walk, but it's ok.  I didn't walk the second half and finished with a sprint.  Kind of a sprint.  Time 34:29.

Transitions were slow.  I wasn't rushing any.  Overall time 1:50:23, rank 87/149 in my division, 828/1468 overall.  They did say it was about 2000 athletes, so I'm not sure where the other 600 went.  Anyway, I'm happy.

Thank you to everyone in this group!  You have been a huge support through my initial training!  My next race is 7/30 and it will be a true OWS in Lake Michigan.  I'm bitten by the bug!!!

Sounds awesome, so proud of you for overcoming your fear!!

Gotta ask though, why did you think you need more run training, what do you think specifically wasn't on track (not running regularly, no running far enough?)  Did you walk due to fatigue off the bike?  I am so curious cause every time people can share I want to hear!  I have my first in about 3 weeks so i am in super soak mode!

Got any one big tip for us first timers?

And congrats again, you rocked it!

2011-06-13 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3545434

User image

Extreme Veteran
peteacher - 2011-06-12 11:12 PM

Sounds awesome, so proud of you for overcoming your fear!!

Gotta ask though, why did you think you need more run training, what do you think specifically wasn't on track (not running regularly, no running far enough?)  Did you walk due to fatigue off the bike?  I am so curious cause every time people can share I want to hear!  I have my first in about 3 weeks so i am in super soak mode!

Got any one big tip for us first timers?

And congrats again, you rocked it!

I have not run either regularly enough or far enough.  I had lost some motivation recently and just let myself slide.  I also didn't do enough bricks.  Yes, I was pretty gassed after the bike.  Maybe I could have eased up on the bike, but I really think it's a running fitness issue.  I need to make much better friends with running and will renew my resolve to run at least a little every day.  I didn't even run up to T1.  I need better running legs.

Tips.  Hard to say.  The waves for the swim were divided by age group, not times.  I started pretty far back of the pack and should have started farther up - there were a lot of people who were very slow and I had to pass them.  Since it was a serpentine swim, that was hard.  Bike - I would practice hills and intervals more. I forgot to bring the GU I'd planned to take in T2, and that may have been a factor in the fatigue.

I really made it a point to look around and enjoy the beautiful day and pretty neighborhoods.  Be conscious that this was my goal and I had made it here.  Also that I was "just" doing the same things I'd been doing in training since January.  The women were friendly and I chatted with a couple during the run.  I'd say "I hate hills" and they'd say "I hate running."  In other words, I tried not to pressure myself.

Two nights before the race I went to bed early, and the night before the race I was in bed by 9.  I took melatonin, which works well for me, and didn't have too much trouble getting up at 4:30 am, ugh.  I didn't feel the effects of getting up so early until long after the race.  Slept well in the afternoon, though. 

So my "tips" are mostly training related - bricks, hills and intervals.  Race day, relax and try to soak it all in.  Your training worked, you're where you belong, and you're just out to do your thing.

2011-06-13 9:07 PM

New user
Walterboro
I have my second race in a series of 5 for the summer.  All 5 races are the same course.  It's the Charleston Series.  I feel like my training has been going very well the last few weeks.  My first race in the series was my second in two days.  So, I'm hoping with the increased training and the fact that I won't be doing a tri on Saturday maybe I can have a better performance.  I know it's only Monday but I'm not sure if I'm getting nervous, excited or both.  The good thing about running the same course 5 times is that it will be very easy to measure progress.  45 minutes with the swim coach in the morning, short run Wed and short bike Thur and then waiting on Sun morning.
2011-06-14 8:01 AM

Stamford

Congrats SDEJAN!!! That sounds like an awesome race and is a great accomplishment!

Glad to hear you are looking forward to your July 30th race.

2011-06-14 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3547489

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Wesley12 - 2011-06-13 7:07 PM

I have my second race in a series of 5 for the summer.  All 5 races are the same course.  It's the Charleston Series.  I feel like my training has been going very well the last few weeks.  My first race in the series was my second in two days.  So, I'm hoping with the increased training and the fact that I won't be doing a tri on Saturday maybe I can have a better performance.  I know it's only Monday but I'm not sure if I'm getting nervous, excited or both.  The good thing about running the same course 5 times is that it will be very easy to measure progress.  45 minutes with the swim coach in the morning, short run Wed and short bike Thur and then waiting on Sun morning.

Glad you are enjoying the excitement. It will be interesting to compare performance with th elast one. Two races in one weekend must have been tough.
2011-06-14 10:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
For the group:

Are there any other areas you would like to discuss or have questions about? Does everyone feel comfortable with where they are at in their training and progress (If we all say yes then I'll bet someone isn't being truthful ) Is there anything inparticular that you feel is a weak area. Some questions about intervals early on. Have people tried them? What did you think?

Lots of questions but if there is anything I can help with let me know.

Scott
2011-06-14 12:32 PM

New user
Walterboro
I've got a tri in Charleston this Sunday and there is OWS in Beaufort this Saturday.  My very first tri was followed up by my second tri on the next day.  I was tired when I got finished but it didn't kill me.  My swim coach has been really involved in the OWS event.  I'm thinking of doing the swim on Sat and then the tri on Sun.  It's a three mile swim with the current.  I've spent a lot of time in Beaufort river over the years and the current will be a big plus.  I've never swam anything close to that distance but I think I can do it without drowning.(which is always a plus)  I guess I'm just looking for someone to give me a good excuse to either swim sat or not. 
2011-06-14 1:43 PM
in reply to: #3548360

User image

Extreme Veteran

holt1997 - 2011-06-14 10:52 AM For the group: Are there any other areas you would like to discuss or have questions about? Does everyone feel comfortable with where they are at in their training and progress (If we all say yes then I'll bet someone isn't being truthful ) Is there anything inparticular that you feel is a weak area. Some questions about intervals early on. Have people tried them? What did you think? Lots of questions but if there is anything I can help with let me know. Scott

Running is still my big sticking point.  My hip (well, butt actually) is a problem since my glute muscles have shortened due to the running.  I'm stretching and seeing a sports doc about that, but in the meantime it's a PIA .  I wanted to re-start my "run every day" regimen today but don't think I'll be able to.  I jogged across the street today to get out of the way of traffic and it really hurt.  I'll be getting home late today so it might not be possible to do a bike workout either - life, sigh.

Otherwise I think my main obstacle to progress is simply not enough training.  I switched to an oly training plan although I only plan to do sprints this year.  Hopefully that will force me to extend myself.  And I will definitely include interval training this time in all three disciplines - especially running as I'm able.  Question: if you bike in a city/suburb, how do you do intervals on a ride?  Do I need to drive out to more rural roads where there is less traffic?  Multi-use paths and suburban streets seem too dangerous.

2011-06-14 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3547489

User image

Extreme Veteran

Wesley12 - 2011-06-13 9:07 PM I have my second race in a series of 5 for the summer.  All 5 races are the same course.  It's the Charleston Series.  I feel like my training has been going very well the last few weeks.  My first race in the series was my second in two days.  So, I'm hoping with the increased training and the fact that I won't be doing a tri on Saturday maybe I can have a better performance.  I know it's only Monday but I'm not sure if I'm getting nervous, excited or both.  The good thing about running the same course 5 times is that it will be very easy to measure progress.  45 minutes with the swim coach in the morning, short run Wed and short bike Thur and then waiting on Sun morning.

Be sure to post a report!  I'm sure since you will be fresher this time you'll improve, although your first times were pretty impressive to start with.

2011-06-14 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3548621

User image

Extreme Veteran

Wesley12 - 2011-06-14 12:32 PM I've got a tri in Charleston this Sunday and there is OWS in Beaufort this Saturday.  My very first tri was followed up by my second tri on the next day.  I was tired when I got finished but it didn't kill me.  My swim coach has been really involved in the OWS event.  I'm thinking of doing the swim on Sat and then the tri on Sun.  It's a three mile swim with the current.  I've spent a lot of time in Beaufort river over the years and the current will be a big plus.  I've never swam anything close to that distance but I think I can do it without drowning.(which is always a plus)  I guess I'm just looking for someone to give me a good excuse to either swim sat or not. 

You're nuts.  Laughing  But then, you're the one who did two tris in two days.  If you want to compare times on Sun with your last tri, doing that long a swim Sat could impact your performance.  If you could treat Sat as just for fun, not go for time and not push it too hard (and not drown), then what the heck - go for it.  How long is the swim distance for the tri?

Written by someone who has NO inclination to swim 3 miles, with or against a current.  Laughing  Let me know how it went; I'll be lounging on the couch admiring your courage.

2011-06-14 8:44 PM

New user
Walterboro
Well, just signed up for the swim on Sat.  Wish me luck!  Just going to take it easy and enjoy the scenery and try to leave plenty in the tank for the tri on Sunday.  At least Sat is for a good cause.  I've been reading one the best way to improve your swim is to get out and put the time in the water. 
2011-06-14 9:36 PM
in reply to: #3548789

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
sdejan - 2011-06-14 11:43 AM

holt1997 - 2011-06-14 10:52 AM For the group: Are there any other areas you would like to discuss or have questions about? Does everyone feel comfortable with where they are at in their training and progress (If we all say yes then I'll bet someone isn't being truthful ) Is there anything inparticular that you feel is a weak area. Some questions about intervals early on. Have people tried them? What did you think? Lots of questions but if there is anything I can help with let me know. Scott

Running is still my big sticking point.  My hip (well, butt actually) is a problem since my glute muscles have shortened due to the running.  I'm stretching and seeing a sports doc about that, but in the meantime it's a PIA .  I wanted to re-start my "run every day" regimen today but don't think I'll be able to.  I jogged across the street today to get out of the way of traffic and it really hurt.  I'll be getting home late today so it might not be possible to do a bike workout either - life, sigh.

Otherwise I think my main obstacle to progress is simply not enough training.  I switched to an oly training plan although I only plan to do sprints this year.  Hopefully that will force me to extend myself.  And I will definitely include interval training this time in all three disciplines - especially running as I'm able.  Question: if you bike in a city/suburb, how do you do intervals on a ride?  Do I need to drive out to more rural roads where there is less traffic?  Multi-use paths and suburban streets seem too dangerous.

For the intervals is it possible to use obstacles that are already there? Like distance between stop signs or city blocks or something like that?
2011-06-14 10:07 PM
in reply to: #3548360

New user

I am really growing a distaste for biking.  I don't have the option of a road/tri bike but ride a hybrid (trying not to let that be a big issue).  I know the bike isn't 100% fitted and I can't possibly get a professional fit done so I am trying to figure out the in's and out's on my own by reading and surfing the net.  I am still tweaking with the hopes of figuring it out.  I have found a great route/road to ride that is low traffic, etc so I am truly encouraged by that.  It is just my weakest link right now and feel very discouraged by the lack of training I have based on so many factors.

On the upside, I attended a running clinic on Saturday and the instructor implied that I am definitely on the right track!!  That felt really awesome!!  I was on a recovery week last week so back to hard stuff (running) tomorrow and can't wait to do intervals more!!  I have tried them a little without much specification of time just feeling the increase in perceived heart rate.  I like the idea of adding more challenges.

I feel 100% committed to my event but I still don't feel like I have done what I should most days.  Figure worst case scenario is I have to walk Tongue out

2011-06-14 10:32 PM
in reply to: #3549668

User image

Welllington, NZ
peteacher - 2011-06-15 5:07 PM

I am really growing a distaste for biking.  I don't have the option of a road/tri bike but ride a hybrid (trying not to let that be a big issue).  I know the bike isn't 100% fitted and I can't possibly get a professional fit done so I am trying to figure out the in's and out's on my own by reading and surfing the net.  I am still tweaking with the hopes of figuring it out.  I have found a great route/road to ride that is low traffic, etc so I am truly encouraged by that.  It is just my weakest link right now and feel very discouraged by the lack of training I have based on so many factors.

A great link for bike-fits is on slowtwitch. It goes pretty in depth - if you can use this resource together with finding some of the "how's my fit" forum threads with pictures & video you should be able to get pretty close - but just remember that it's never going to be a 1 style fits all. It will depend on your bike, your shape/size/flexibility, the stem length, the crank length etc. There are so many variables to consider but the main thing to find is where you are able to ride and be comfy. Note however that this position WILL change especially in the first few years of training as you yourself change and adapt - most noticably this can happen with improved flexibilty.

Hope that helps, give it a go and let us know how it goes, and keep with it.

Lewis.

Edited by lbishop 2011-06-14 10:33 PM

2011-06-16 9:48 AM

Veteran
sdejan - 2011-06-12 2:05 PM

First, thanks for all the support last night!  What a case of nerves!

Today's sprint was awesome!  750m swim, 14.25m bike, 5k.  It was an all-women's event.  There were about 2000 women there, roughly half of whom were doing their first tri.  The weather was perfect - overcast and a little chilly for the swim, but that just made the water feel warm, and 60ish and sunny for the bike/run.  It was incredibly well organized and smoothly run.  It was a SheROX event for ovarian cancer.

The swim was good.  I was a little worried because when I did my practice swim in the wetsuit, my arms felt very heavy.  But I didn't notice that at all today.  I had to go more slowly than usual because there were a lot of bodies in a small space (serpentine swim), and that probably helped.  Time 13:49.

The bike was fine.  I might have been able to go faster, but my legs certainly felt it and I did pretty well IMHO.  It was basically like a training ride, only this time instead of picturing myself in a race, I was actually in one!  Time 53:13.

congratulations on this milestone!!  looks like you had fun

G

2011-06-17 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3540894

User image

Sarnia
sdejan - 2011-06-09 12:24 PM

bmeere - 2011-06-08 10:20 PM Hey Everyone, just thought I would share a happy milestone with all of you.  Today I swam (as I was supposed to) but swam 2k straight...Up to this point I had not been more than 1200M and that was in intervals....swam it in 41:18.84 with an avg pace of 1:58.04/100M...my splits were pretty consistent and all were right around the 2:00 mark, have to say I came out of the pool feeling pretty good...Laughing

That's great!!!

What's the story to your Oly tri in your signature?

Well the town that it is run in is pretty hilly for this area (Southwestern Ontario). It was a 1k Swim, 42.2K bike and 10K run.  I was approx 5K into the bike and was approaching a pretty significant hill so I changed from my large chain ring, to my small on the front and up the hill I went.  As I got to the top, I went to change back to the large chain ring and it wouldn't go, tried a couple of times, actuall got off the bike and set it in manually, only to have it drop back to the small as soon as I started to pedal again, so I finished the balance of the bike leg with only the bottom gears  :-( Needless to say, this didn't have a positive affect on my overall time and when I got out on the run my legs were just a little mushy...

2011-06-17 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3554094

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
bmeere - 2011-06-17 8:17 AM

sdejan - 2011-06-09 12:24 PM

bmeere - 2011-06-08 10:20 PM Hey Everyone, just thought I would share a happy milestone with all of you.  Today I swam (as I was supposed to) but swam 2k straight...Up to this point I had not been more than 1200M and that was in intervals....swam it in 41:18.84 with an avg pace of 1:58.04/100M...my splits were pretty consistent and all were right around the 2:00 mark, have to say I came out of the pool feeling pretty good...Laughing

That's great!!!

What's the story to your Oly tri in your signature?

Well the town that it is run in is pretty hilly for this area (Southwestern Ontario). It was a 1k Swim, 42.2K bike and 10K run.  I was approx 5K into the bike and was approaching a pretty significant hill so I changed from my large chain ring, to my small on the front and up the hill I went.  As I got to the top, I went to change back to the large chain ring and it wouldn't go, tried a couple of times, actuall got off the bike and set it in manually, only to have it drop back to the small as soon as I started to pedal again, so I finished the balance of the bike leg with only the bottom gears  :-( Needless to say, this didn't have a positive affect on my overall time and when I got out on the run my legs were just a little mushy...

Ohhh that had to stink!!! I get frustrated with gear easily.Sounds like you handled it better than I.
2011-06-17 8:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Wesley12, you've got a big weekend ahead!  Have fun on your swim tomorrow and rock Sunday!

Anyone else racing or have plans for the weekend?  I signed up on the spur of the moment for a 5K race tomorrow.

2011-06-17 9:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scott, I started out to do intervals last night.  What I discovered is that when I lengthen my stride somewhat and pick up my knees more (to go faster), my normal pace is easier to maintain and feels better overall.  So I spent the rest of the run trying to focus on that.  I'm not doing intervals tonight because I'm going to try for a good time tomorrow morning, but will for Sunday's run at least.

2011-06-18 2:50 PM

New user
Walterboro
Beaufort River Swim was great.  There were a ton a things that worked in our favor.  Slightly overcast, so it wasn't too hot and the current was running hard our way.  I did the 3 mile swim in 1 hr 10 min 49 sec.  Yes the current was running that strong.  It was a tremendous boost for swimming confidence.  Not just because of the time but the fact that I was able to put my head down and swimm the whole time.  The only thing close to any breaks was when I would lift my head up to sight a little better than just a quick peak.  Not to mention it will certainly make tomorrow's 600 yds seem a lot shorter than it did last time.  Couple hours of work this afternoon, to bed early tonight and up early for tomorrow's tri.  Sdejan, how was the 5K?
2011-06-18 4:57 PM
in reply to: #3555671

User image

Extreme Veteran

Wesley12 - 2011-06-18 2:50 PM Beaufort River Swim was great.  There were a ton a things that worked in our favor.  Slightly overcast, so it wasn't too hot and the current was running hard our way.  I did the 3 mile swim in 1 hr 10 min 49 sec.  Yes the current was running that strong.  It was a tremendous boost for swimming confidence.  Not just because of the time but the fact that I was able to put my head down and swimm the whole time.  The only thing close to any breaks was when I would lift my head up to sight a little better than just a quick peak.  Not to mention it will certainly make tomorrow's 600 yds seem a lot shorter than it did last time.  Couple hours of work this afternoon, to bed early tonight and up early for tomorrow's tri.  Sdejan, how was the 5K?

It sounds like it was a fun event!  I can't wait for your report tomorrow!

The 5K was good.  My first two miles were each around 9:30/9:40, which I was very pleased with.  I slowed down some in the 3rd mile.  I don't have a final time.  It was supposed to be chip-timed, but they changed that to a system where the bib number had a perforated bottom piece with your name and number, and you tore that off at the finish line and handed it in.  Someone said the results would be posted online, but I can't find a site for it.  Oh well.  I was pleased with the run.  I even ran into someone I knew, but she pulled away pretty quickly because she's a better runner.  But we got to chat for a minute anyway.

2011-06-19 3:54 AM

New user
Walterboro
Going racingLaughing
2011-06-19 5:18 PM

New user
Walterboro
Race was great.  Did the same race back on May 22nd.  Don't have the exact time for my race report but I knocked off 10+ minutes from the May 22nd race.  1st race was around 1:33.  Today I finished around 1:22 - 1:23.  Swim was way better, bike was better, probably made up at least 3 minutes on transitions but the run was still terrible.  The run is my least favorite and I don't train it like I should.  So if I ever want to really compete then I am going to have to buckle down and work hard on the run.  Had a great weekend with a good Beaufort River Swim on Saturday and then the Charleston Tri today.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Holt's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 15