BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Holt's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2011-06-19 9:20 PM
in reply to: #3556752

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Holt's Mentor Group - CLOSED

Wesley12 - 2011-06-19 5:18 PM Race was great.  Did the same race back on May 22nd.  Don't have the exact time for my race report but I knocked off 10+ minutes from the May 22nd race.  1st race was around 1:33.  Today I finished around 1:22 - 1:23.  Swim was way better, bike was better, probably made up at least 3 minutes on transitions but the run was still terrible.  The run is my least favorite and I don't train it like I should.  So if I ever want to really compete then I am going to have to buckle down and work hard on the run.  Had a great weekend with a good Beaufort River Swim on Saturday and then the Charleston Tri today.

Sounds like the secret to your success is doing two per weekend! 

That's a huge improvement.  Congratulations!  Do you know what the finishing times are for the rest of your AG?  1:22 ought to be getting pretty close to a podium, no?

2011-06-20 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3282419

User image

Sarnia

Do I need to just suck it up or is my concern legit

Hey everyone, seeking just a bit of your opinions, there is a local race here in July that is an OLY distance and a Sprint distance.  I am a little nervous about the swim portion because it is in Lake Huron and I know that there is some current there.  Looks like most of the swim is cross current with a very short swim out and then another short return to shore and transition.  Not sure if I am stressing because the swim is the least fav of all 3 for me, or what is going on.  I have some people that I trust telling me that I will be fine and that the swim is not that bad (they have done it before) and part of me believes them but I am just still not sure.  Do I focus, get in some open water practice before then (which I have NOT done this year as the water temp has been mid 50s) and then go for it knowing that ultimately I will survive the swim....OR do I just register for the Sprint as this will be my first event of the year.  Thoughts and smarten ups are more than welcome...

2011-06-20 11:06 AM

New user

I also need some help/advice ;-)  I want to do an event on July 9th, (sprint distance) and I have a kunundrum.  My bike training is not where it should be and the ride is 16m.  The max I have done so far is 10.5.  Now I think I might be able to suck it up for the race cause let's face it, if I don't do this one I will never get this party started (this would be my first tri ever).   I know the golden rule is 10% but I am wondering if I push this week and see if I can even do 16 or something closer to it than 10.  I am not talking a full out, just as easy ride to find out what my limits are? 

I will leave it at that and see what you guys have to say.

2011-06-20 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3557879

User image

Sarnia
peteacher - 2011-06-20 12:06 PM

I also need some help/advice ;-)  I want to do an event on July 9th, (sprint distance) and I have a kunundrum.  My bike training is not where it should be and the ride is 16m.  The max I have done so far is 10.5.  Now I think I might be able to suck it up for the race cause let's face it, if I don't do this one I will never get this party started (this would be my first tri ever).   I know the golden rule is 10% but I am wondering if I push this week and see if I can even do 16 or something closer to it than 10.  I am not talking a full out, just as easy ride to find out what my limits are? 

I would say that if your swim and run are o.k then you will be fine.  and extra 6mi on a bike is not going to be a problem unless after 10mi you are completely spent and don't feel that you could get off the bike and run.  I'm guessing that the run is likely a 3mi run?  Have you done any Brick workouts?  How did they go?  If you can pull off a 12mi bike, 2 mile run brick you should be more than ok for the event.  IMHO

2011-06-20 3:16 PM
in reply to: #3557819

User image

Extreme Veteran

bmeere - 2011-06-20 10:41 AMDo I focus, get in some open water practice before then (which I have NOT done this year as the water temp has been mid 50s) and then go for it knowing that ultimately I will survive the swim....OR do I just register for the Sprint as this will be my first event of the year.

Since you've done oly before, you're capable of the distances.  The swim will be a new challenge but not an impossible stretch.  As you said, get some OWS practice - do you have a wetsuit?

peteacher - I want to do an event on July 9th, (sprint distance) and I have a kunundrum.  My bike training is not where it should be and the ride is 16m.  The max I have done so far is 10.5.

When do you have to decide?  Can you try a couple longer bike rides and see how you feel?  Bmeere had a great suggestion about doing a couple of brick workouts beforehand.  IMO, go ahead, get the party started, and if you're not that comfortable with the distance on race day, you can always take the bike very easy.

2011-06-20 3:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I'm finding my goal of running every day is not realistic.  I do strength training twice a week and the sessions leave me too tired to run.  So I've taken the Oly 20-week run focused plan and modified it so I run at least a little 5 days/week.  Scott and group, if anyone cared to look at my plan, I'd be interested in your comments.

Please ignore the first half of June since I really messed up that planning and didn't stick to it at all.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-monthly.asp?type=train&year=2011&month=6&day=20&memberid=232283&setstrength=0&setplanned=1&setnutrition=0

2011-06-20 3:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I'm finding my goal of running every day is not realistic.  I do strength training twice a week (usually M/F) and the sessions leave me too tired to run.  So I've taken the Oly 20-week run focused plan and modified it so I run at least a little 5 days/week.  Scott and group, if anyone cared to look at my plan, I'd be interested in your comments.

Please ignore the first half of June since I really messed up that planning and didn't stick to it at all.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-monthly.asp?type=train&year=2011&month=6&day=20&memberid=232283&setstrength=0&setplanned=1&setnutrition=0

2011-06-21 12:10 AM
in reply to: #3558536

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
sdejan - 2011-06-20 1:24 PM

I'm finding my goal of running every day is not realistic.  I do strength training twice a week (usually M/F) and the sessions leave me too tired to run.  So I've taken the Oly 20-week run focused plan and modified it so I run at least a little 5 days/week.  Scott and group, if anyone cared to look at my plan, I'd be interested in your comments.

If triathlon is your primary goal, are you sure that weight training is really the most beneficial for you? I used to weight train a bit and still do some because my job requires it but when it comes to triathlon training, the most important work I can do is swim, bike and run. Everything else is secondary. If weight training is costing you run time and triathlons are your primary goal then I would drop the weights like a hot potato. I think weights have their place, don't get me wrong but what I hear you saying is that they are actually taking away from your training not helping you. I will also look at your plan and leave comments for you there unless I think it is pertinant to the group.
One last thought is how are your weight workouts set up? WHat do you do? Maybe we can just modify what you do if you want to incorporate the gym.

Just my thoughts,
Scott
2011-06-21 12:15 AM
in reply to: #3557879

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
peteacher - 2011-06-20 9:06 AM

If it were me I would up the bike 2 miles this week and 2 next. If you can ride 14 then you can ride 16 but you also won't over do it before the race and make sure you allow yourself recovery time before the big day. That is my recommendation. You will do great on July ninth. The golden rule is 10% but you can also listen carefully to your body and push that limit a bit. Have Fun!!

Scott
2011-06-21 12:20 AM
in reply to: #3557819

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
bmeere - 2011-06-20 8:41 AM

Do I need to just suck it up or is my concern legit

Hey everyone, seeking just a bit of your opinions, there is a local race here in July that is an OLY distance and a Sprint distance.  I am a little nervous about the swim portion because it is in Lake Huron and I know that there is some current there.  Looks like most of the swim is cross current with a very short swim out and then another short return to shore and transition.  Not sure if I am stressing because the swim is the least fav of all 3 for me, or what is going on.  I have some people that I trust telling me that I will be fine and that the swim is not that bad (they have done it before) and part of me believes them but I am just still not sure.  Do I focus, get in some open water practice before then (which I have NOT done this year as the water temp has been mid 50s) and then go for it knowing that ultimately I will survive the swim....OR do I just register for the Sprint as this will be my first event of the year.  Thoughts and smarten ups are more than welcome...

Ultimately, you will finish. That is the bottom line. You will get it done. I would recommend getting in some open water swims. Also I would say that if you enter the sprint instead...you will find things to worry about there too. Its our nature to worry about the unknown. I just say you can over come your fear and you can beat the oly course. And when you finish...which you will, you will be proud that you did it. More proud because you over came your fear and went for the tougher route. Listen to your friends about the swim. They have experienced it and they wouldn't steer you wrong. You can do it.

Scott
2011-06-21 12:22 AM
in reply to: #3556752

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Wesley12 - 2011-06-19 3:18 PM

Race was great.  Did the same race back on May 22nd.  Don't have the exact time for my race report but I knocked off 10+ minutes from the May 22nd race.  1st race was around 1:33.  Today I finished around 1:22 - 1:23.  Swim was way better, bike was better, probably made up at least 3 minutes on transitions but the run was still terrible.  The run is my least favorite and I don't train it like I should.  So if I ever want to really compete then I am going to have to buckle down and work hard on the run.  Had a great weekend with a good Beaufort River Swim on Saturday and then the Charleston Tri today.

You are an animal! Your improvements are amazing. Way to go. Is there anything we can help you with for your run? Just let us know.

Scott

2011-06-21 12:24 AM
in reply to: #3555117

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
sdejan - 2011-06-17 7:03 PM

Scott, I started out to do intervals last night.  What I discovered is that when I lengthen my stride somewhat and pick up my knees more (to go faster), my normal pace is easier to maintain and feels better overall.  So I spent the rest of the run trying to focus on that.  I'm not doing intervals tonight because I'm going to try for a good time tomorrow morning, but will for Sunday's run at least.

Perfect. Intervals are good about once or twice a week. Too much is not so good. I'm excited that you found something that works for you. Keep me posted.

Scott
2011-06-21 12:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
So whats everyone's goal for the week???

I am going to try to increase my workout time total by 30 minutes this week over last week. I have decided to do a 70.3 in August so I have a lot of work to do. I am very excited for the race though.

How about you?????
Scott
2011-06-21 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3559243

User image

Extreme Veteran

holt1997 - 2011-06-21 12:10 AM If triathlon is your primary goal, are you sure that weight training is really the most beneficial for you? I used to weight train a bit and still do some because my job requires it but when it comes to triathlon training, the most important work I can do is swim, bike and run. Everything else is secondary. If weight training is costing you run time and triathlons are your primary goal then I would drop the weights like a hot potato. I think weights have their place, don't get me wrong but what I hear you saying is that they are actually taking away from your training not helping you. I will also look at your plan and leave comments for you there unless I think it is pertinant to the group. One last thought is how are your weight workouts set up? WHat do you do?

It's a conflict, that's true, and at the moment it frustrates me.  My ultimate goal, though, is life fitness.  I am a 48 yo currently single female and need the strength and fitness to conduct life business, whether it be carrying 50-lb bags of garden sand, 40-lb bags of cat litter up stairs, etc.  It's not good to have to depend on others to do the "heavy lifting" chores of my life.  Triathlon is a HUGE part, even the primary part, of building and keeping that fitness.  But I do find the weight training very helpful in both building strength and managing weight.  Plus I'm stuck with it for the time being since I signed up for personal training.  And muscles look good.  Laughing  I hear you though.  Once the PT is done in July I'll probably shift to shorter workouts that concentrate on upper body, since biking and running build enough of the legs.  Then running can become part of those workouts.

Maybe we can just modify what you do if you want to incorporate the gym. Just my thoughts, Scott

I most definitely value your input!

2011-06-21 10:18 AM
in reply to: #3559253

User image

Extreme Veteran

holt1997 - 2011-06-21 12:27 AM So whats everyone's goal for the week??? I am going to try to increase my workout time total by 30 minutes this week over last week. I have decided to do a 70.3 in August so I have a lot of work to do. I am very excited for the race though. How about you????? Scott

Grrr, I was frustrated in my workout last night - my darn hip/glute problem flared up and prevented running.  (And multiple freight trains combined with nightfall prevented biking.)  My goal is to hit my plan the rest of the week, including doubles Sat and Sun.  But I don't know if I'll be physically able to or not.  Yell  I will do another OWS in Lake Michigan.  I did one last night and it was so different from the pool - I only lasted 10 minutes, lol.  Currents and choppy waves are exhausting!  I have to get used to it though since my 7/30 race will be in the lake.

2011-06-21 2:54 PM
in reply to: #3559253

Veteran

holt1997 - 2011-06-21 1:27 AM So whats everyone's goal for the week??? I am going to try to increase my workout time total by 30 minutes this week over last week. I have decided to do a 70.3 in August so I have a lot of work to do. I am very excited for the race though. How about you????? Scott

Goal for the the week is to get back to doing the 3 disciplines.  Swim is the best thing going for me since I signed up for the masters class.  I am planning on doing my first ows in a lake this saturday.  I think the course is 500 yds, the main goal is to do one lap.  If I can, i'll do more.

Bike is also improving.  finally got out for a 20+ ride.  this was a training ride for BikeMS that they'll have for the next weeks.  somehow, I missed the first rest stop out of fear of not getting dropped (we were riding in an area I did not know) and by the time I figured that one out, I had started to burn out.  The heat was on and since I still have problems riding and drinking at the same time, I did not fuel properly.  the second half of the ride was painful.  the bike fit certainly has helped me, leg is feeling fine, I continue to stretch religiously

Run, need to run a lot more.  But this heat is killing me!!!

Strength training - need to bring it down a notch.  Tried x-fit for the first time and plan on sticking with it, but at this stage, 2x/week just sucks the energy I need for S/B/R.  Anyone else tried this?  I read it was really good for triathletes, as it is high intensity.  true?

Need to find a structured program though.

cheers - G

2011-06-21 6:24 PM

User image

Sarnia
My goal is to push some distances.  I am pretty confident that I am going to sign up for the OLY in July, so I need to build some confidence in each area.  Ran a 10K with my daughter (9yr old) on Sunday and I know I can cover that distance, the bike (40K) won't be much of a problem either I need to build some swimming swagger and be sure that I'll be ok there.  Other than that I need to focus on each area to try and increase/build some speed to start to chip away at my time.  I laugh to myself sometimes, because I know that I should also be including stretching and possibly some yoga & meditation for that all over health thing....UNFORTUNATELY, I also have to work and chase my kid around to all her sports etc so unless someone adds a couple hours to the day or my boss is willing to pay me for showing up less, I am not sure when that will all happen....LOL
2011-06-21 9:58 PM

New user
Walterboro
My goal for the week is to really jump on my running.  Going to increase my biking distance and keep pushing on the swim.  Need some definate improvements on my run.  The swim and bike are both on the up swing but the run has gone no where.  This week I'm going to increase the distance and then some intervals next week.  I'll take all the advice everyone has; especially on the running. 
2011-06-23 7:41 PM

New user
Walterboro

This triathlon thing has really taken off for me.  My training seems to be getting better everyday.  That being said, I've always been a jump in with both feet kind of person.  I'm considering doing the Augusta 70.3 on Sept. 25.  Does anyone think this is realistic or am I biting off more than I can chew?

Edited by Wesley12 2011-06-24 9:46 AM
2011-06-24 10:47 AM
in reply to: #3564902

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Wesley12 - 2011-06-23 5:41 PM

This triathlon thing has really taken off for me.  My training seems to be getting better everyday.  That being said, I've always been a jump in with both feet kind of person.  I'm considering doing the Augusta 70.3 on Sept. 25.  Does anyone think this is realistic or am I biting off more than I can chew?

I say go for it. You have time to prepare for it and will love it. My one recommendation is to set out a plan of workouts. Don't try to shoot from the hip. Have a build up and also a taper off plan. If you need help let me know.

Scott
2011-06-24 10:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Whats everyone's plan for the weekend? Racing or training?

2011-06-24 1:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Just training.  My hip/glute's been preventing me from running this past week, so I may have to concentrate on bike and swimming.
2011-06-24 8:55 PM

New user
Walterboro
I haven't signed up for the Augusta 70.3 yet but I will.  I've been using plans from BT and will probably use another or some variation of one from here to prepare.  My biggest concern is the nutrition.  Not only my everyday diet but also what would be needed on race day.  I've heard all kinds of things from the chomps to the gels and everything in between.  Any advice on the nutrition would be greatly appreciated.
2011-06-26 10:47 AM
in reply to: #3565678

New user

holt1997 - 2011-06-24 10:51 AM Whats everyone's plan for the weekend? Racing or training?[/QUOTE

Training here.  I finally got my hardest ride in yesterday (15.4) and just a really short run in after to chip away at the brick practice.  It went better than I thought it could but no records on track for this girl, hehe.  Today will be a run, same route as earlier this week hoping to better my time a little.  We are having a beautiful weekend so I am sucking up every minute of it!!

The board has been so quiet lately, we need more chatter!! :-)

2011-06-26 10:53 PM
in reply to: #3566568

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Wesley12 - 2011-06-24 6:55 PM

I haven't signed up for the Augusta 70.3 yet but I will.  I've been using plans from BT and will probably use another or some variation of one from here to prepare.  My biggest concern is the nutrition.  Not only my everyday diet but also what would be needed on race day.  I've heard all kinds of things from the chomps to the gels and everything in between.  Any advice on the nutrition would be greatly appreciated.

ahhh nutrition. What a huge topic with so many answers. On this topic What I think works best is if we just share what works best for us and you experiment with it all and figure out what works for you.

One thing I have done in the past that works as far as hydration is weigh myself before a longer run. Then weigh myself after. Then subtract out the water I drank. The number you come up with is about how much you need to drink to keep hydrated. For example I ran for an hour and drank a quart of water (weighs about 2.1 pounds) and I weighed 210 starting and weighed 208 at the end. I would then know I need to drink about 4 pounds of water per hour to stay completely hydrated while running (FYI a gallon of water weighs about 8.4 pounds per gallon). You can do the same for the bike and swim. Knowing your body's hydration needs is very important. I think you can get by with minimal gels etc but without hydration you will crash and hard. I also know that hydrating during the swim is pretty much impossible except by accidental mouthfuls but knowing your hydration deficit when getting on the bike is helpful. You do sweat when swimming.

As far as gels etc and race day food I start about 3 days ahead of time and drink about 64 ozs per day of gatorade (or whatever works for you). The electrolytes are very important in your muscle work of your body so don't start the race behind on these. Then on race day morning I have a protein shake about 3 hours before the race starts along with a banana and some toast with peanut butter. Then 10 minutes before the race (no more or less) I have a gel. After this I won't have much more until about half way through the bike. Then I have two more gels. During the run I usually have 1 or 2 towards the start and 2 more during the middle and then drop my water bottle and give it my all for the last bit. If you think that the gels may not be enough then I recommend a few boiled potatos on the bike. They go a long way but myself I cannot digest them due to stomach issues.

Hope that makes sense. There is a lot more to this but this may be a good start.

Thoughts anyone?

Scott
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Holt's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 15