BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay's HIM & IM focused Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2011-03-29 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3415653

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: JohnnyKay's HIM & IM focused Group - CLOSED

Hope everyone had a good weekend.  My 5k didn't work out this week, but I'm hoping to try for another one soon (or maybe a 10k).  I am finally getting back to the pool.  I've taken some swimming time off before, but maybe not this long and I had already skimped on my swim some last year.  It's tough seeing the drop in fitness, but at least I know what it takes to get it back.

Every weekend, I keep hoping "this will be the one" when I get back outside for a ride.  Hasn't happened yet.  Maybe this week. 

Keep up the consistency of your training the best you can!

2011-03-29 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3282504

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Swimming question: What's the deal with fins? 

My master's team always uses them, so I finally gave in and bought a pair. After using them for the first time today, I found myself wondering what the actual benefits might be. 

BTW, I also had a good training weekend. On Thursday I traveled to the place where my June HIM will be held. I did a 65k/2k brick on the race course on Friday, rode 80k on Saturday and then ran an easy 10k (longest post-injury run!) and rode another 30km on Sunday. 

Now I'm back home, fiddling around with my training plan.  Have a good training week everyone.

Félix 
2011-03-29 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3419492

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

dragoman - 2011-03-29 10:17 AM Swimming question: What's the deal with fins? 

My master's team always uses them, so I finally gave in and bought a pair. After using them for the first time today, I found myself wondering what the actual benefits might be. 

BTW, I also had a good training weekend. On Thursday I traveled to the place where my June HIM will be held. I did a 65k/2k brick on the race course on Friday, rode 80k on Saturday and then ran an easy 10k (longest post-injury run!) and rode another 30km on Sunday. 

Now I'm back home, fiddling around with my training plan.  Have a good training week everyone.

Félix 

Well, I don't use fins so take this for what it's worth.  They can be used to help with some drills.  For example, if you are not taking many strokes or not taking full ones, you may hit "stall" speed and have trouble maintaining body position.  If the focus of the drill is maybe something to do with the catch or recovery, then you may want to use fins so that you aren't struggling with your body position and missing the focal point of the drill.  They can be used for kick sets--some fins can help strengthen and strech the muscles you are using there.  They can be used simply to get a "feel" for swimming faster.  I still wouldn't use them for a significant portion of your swimming, but they could be useful at times.

Nice job this past weekend.  And congrats on the run! 

2011-03-29 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3419575

User image

Expert

Jimmy- Good to know I'm not the only one to fall off the trainer! Very glad to see you do some excellent training with the medication you are taking.

John- Too bad about the 5K, but there will be plenty more. Always hard to fit things in to a busy life. It does get easier when the kids get older, but then you miss all the fun stuff you did when they were little.

Felix- Nice weekend of training! Especially good to see you run 10K

I had a very nice weekend of training. Sunday I went for a 30 mile ride outside. Normally I ride early on Sundays to avoid too much traffic, but it was cold so I waited until afternoon when it warmed up all the way into the 30's. I tried to stay on back roads, but I'm really lucky to have great roads without a lot of traffic. In the 5 miles or so that I spent on "main roads", I doubt I saw more than 20 cars.

On Saturday I had one of those runs where I just felt really great. I did one of my favorite routes that goes to the top of the highest hill within running distance. I get to the top after about 2 miles so I am nicely warmed up, the view is great, so I really get a feeling like life is good and it's a beautiful world. Here's a picture that I took last Summer. It's hard to do the view justice in a photo, but this one isn't bad:

John, the hills in the background are the Shawangunks, where American Zofingen takes place, so you will be seeing them in a couple of months.

I'm doing something a little different in my training and am wondering what you think. I have always trained 6 days a week taking Mondays off because I also do not work on Mondays so it gives me the whole day free. The last couple of weeks I have run 3 miles easy on Monday just to up the running frequency and volume. Feels good so far, but I'm wondering if there are any possible drawbacks to no day off.

Anthony

2011-03-30 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3419575

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
JohnnyKay - 2011-03-29 10:54 AM

Well, I don't use fins so take this for what it's worth.  They can be used to help with some drills.  For example, if you are not taking many strokes or not taking full ones, you may hit "stall" speed and have trouble maintaining body position.  If the focus of the drill is maybe something to do with the catch or recovery, then you may want to use fins so that you aren't struggling with your body position and missing the focal point of the drill.  They can be used for kick sets--some fins can help strengthen and strech the muscles you are using there.  They can be used simply to get a "feel" for swimming faster.  I still wouldn't use them for a significant portion of your swimming, but they could be useful at times.

Nice job this past weekend.  And congrats on the run! 

JohnnyKay, great reply as usual. I'll keep using them, just to keep up with the people at Master's and not disrupt the drills of those everyday swimmers.  Initially, I thought my stroke count would be lower using fins, but it wasn't. I did get to the end of the pool about 5 seconds faster and with less upperbody effort. Fortunately, even though the team uses them every training session, it's only for specific drills. 

Anthony, beautiful views from your run. Makes me miss trail running.

When I was training for ultramarathons, I would take two days off each week: Mondays, to recover from my back-to-back long runs/hikes over the weekend; and Fridays, to make the most of those B2B long runs/hikes over the weekend. My running benefitted from it, and I got into the best shape of my life. I don't apply the 2-day rest protocol to triathlon training, however, because in my case tri training doesn't beat me up as badly as ultra training (no crosstraining) did. But a single rest day a week (usually Mondays) is great for mental and physical recovery and to reap the benefits of those hard workouts over the weekend. Of course, having found ways to get injured repeatedly, any advice I may offer is to be taken with a grain pinch of salt, LOL.

Félix
2011-03-30 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3420526

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Tust me, as much as I complain about being too busy to do all the workouts I want, I am truly enjoying all the business that my kids create.  I could skip some of their games, etc. and go running or riding but I will be able to run & ride later.  Their games will end. 

As far as not taking a day off, it really depends.  Generally, I don't plan rest days and just let them happen because I need one (or because the busy schedule requires it!).  As long as it feels good and its not causing you any problems with other workouts, then it's probably good.  I often find it's actually added stress from somewhere else in my life that forces me to rest versus doing a little extra training.  But, again, it's really an individual thing.  Many people feel they need a full day of rest just to stay mentally fresh week-to-week.  I prefer an easy training day when I can manage it.

Oh, and that view is both exciting and frightening.  May is coming fast! 

2011-03-30 6:26 PM
in reply to: #3421428

User image

Expert
JohnnyKay - 2011-03-30 11:33 AM

Tust me, as much as I complain about being too busy to do all the workouts I want, I am truly enjoying all the business that my kids create.  I could skip some of their games, etc. and go running or riding but I will be able to run & ride later.  Their games will end. 

Very nice, your kids are lucky. That will lead to a closeness that will extend into their adulthood, and is very rewarding

As far as not taking a day off, it really depends.  Generally, I don't plan rest days and just let them happen because I need one (or because the busy schedule requires it!).  As long as it feels good and its not causing you any problems with other workouts, then it's probably good.  I often find it's actually added stress from somewhere else in my life that forces me to rest versus doing a little extra training.  But, again, it's really an individual thing.  Many people feel they need a full day of rest just to stay mentally fresh week-to-week.  I prefer an easy training day when I can manage it.

Makes sense. A good workout is not really good if you can't do the next days workout like you want. I always feel very good after a 3 mile run both physically and mentally, so I'm hoping it will work out for me.

Oh, and that view is both exciting and frightening.  May is coming fast! 

I was thinking the exact same thing! Starting next week, all my rides will be on my hilliest routes.

2011-03-31 9:49 AM

User image

Regular
Grand Blanc, MI
It is with deep regrets that I must inform you all that I will be gone for a week, starting tomorrow, enjoying the sun in Florida! Taking my running shoes/bike shorts/swim goggles to get in some workouts. I'll keep all of you in the cold weather states in my thoughts!
Have a great week of training.
2011-03-31 9:22 PM

User image

Expert

John, I hope you have an awesome time in Florida!  It's been a tough Michigan winter...

Well, March is done and I just finished a short run to cap it off.  I like to try to get in even a little bit of running after a bike ride.  I believe it will help me in bike to run transitions if I already know what to expect.  Overall I'm pleased with my training this month with the exception of still needing to get to the pool.  I was very bike heavy and plan to continue to do so until I leave for Vegas in the 2nd week of April.  I won't have my bike with me so then I will focus on run and hopefully swim. 

This month I battled with atrial fibrillation including a few days with many hours of heart rates in 200's and then the opposite end of the spectrum when I take flecainide and Beta Blocker.  I prefer the feeling of afib over the medication any day!  I tried to run and swim with the medication but just could not get up any decent speed without getting winded.  I'm going to do my best to hold off on the ablation procedure until after my 2 IM's this year.  My cardiologist/EP doctor is OK with this. In retrospect, I have had this rhythm issue for many years, it is just more frequent, or at least I'm noticing it more with heart rate monitor training.

Tomorrow I get fitted for my new 2011 P2!  I'm so excited!  I am looking at Carbon Devox base bar/Alloy aerobars, and Shimano Ultegra Crank/BB.  All my other components will be Ultegra.  Anyone used these Aerobars or crank set up?  I toyed with purchasing a P3 but am having a hard time justifying the added cost and would rather invest in the better crank and aerobars, and a disk wheel.  Also a power tap is on my list, as was recomended near the beginning of this thread.

I'm starting to feel the "pre-race" jitters as IM Texas approaches.  I know it's still 7 weeks away but it does go fast.  I have my set goal of 12:30.  So far my best IM is 13 hours 5 minutes.  My first goal is always to just have fun and finish, and I will always feel good about that.  My very first IM was 15:15, and I am ever so slowly improving. 

Hope everyone has a great April and may everyone reach their goals!!  Thanks for the inspires along the way, they really do help.  Jim

2011-04-01 1:42 PM

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
Whats up guys!!!!

So sorry i've been MIA for the last few weeks. Lifes been crazy with baseball season going and the new kid being born. Hope everyone has been doing awesome. Ive got quite a bit of training done, just havent logged any of it. Finally got a swim coach. Met with him for the first time this morning. Really glad to have someone helping me out with my weakest discipline.

First race is in 6 weeks! Time to buckle down and get after it!

2011-04-01 1:46 PM

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
Heres a picture of my boy by the way....

(easton1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
easton1.JPG (25KB - 20 downloads)

2011-04-01 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3425635

User image

Expert

rgattis - 2011-04-01 2:46 PM Heres a picture of my boy by the way....

Randy- Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy, and best wishes to you and your family!

It's good to hear from you. It would be interesting to hear about how it goes with the swim coach.

John- Have fun in Florida, but don't get too hot or sweaty or anything You know, it was snowing here whem I got up this morning, not even an inch though.

Jimmy- Your training is outstanding. Most people when they start a beta blocker have enough trouble getting out and about let alone s/b/r like you do. Whenever I need a little kick in the pants I just have to look in your log.

I have a short, 2 mile/14 mile/3mile, but hilly duathlon that I am doing on Sunday, and I am really looking forward to it. The temp is supposed to be in the 30's so getting the right clothing may be hard since I like to be cold when I run, but warm when I ride. Luckily, over the years I have collected all sorts of cold weather clothing, so I should be able to work it out.

Since it's finally time for baseball season, racing makes me think of a Yogi Berra quote: "50% of baseball is 100% mental", or something like that. Once the training is done, you have to use your mind to both execute your race well, and to squeeze everything you can out of that training.

Have a good weekend everybody!

Anthony

2011-04-01 3:00 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago

rgattis - 2011-04-01 1:46 PM Heres a picture of my boy by the way....

YEAH!!!!  Congrats my friend.  Have a cyber cigar.

Nice job to everyone getting in what they can during these past few weeks.  Winter is always tough.

I stopped logging on BT because loggin in two places kind of got to be cumbersome...sry.  Did a half marathon race last weekend then got sick from my 4 year old who just started pre-school (aka The Petri dish).  Today is the first day I feel about 80% so I'll most likely run sunday...do another 13.1 miles with a friend.  Hopefully, I'll be able to stay somewhat healthy this season with the little guy going to school on a regular basis now.  yikes.

I'm jealous of ANYONE going to Florida.  jealous, jealous, jealous!  Ride a few extra miles for me in the warmth and sun.  I can't wait for it.

2011-04-04 12:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
rgattis - 2011-04-01 2:46 PM Heres a picture of my boy by the way....

Congrats, Randy! All the best for you and your family. Smile

My HIM training plan is finally ready. Though my race is only in 10 weeks, I've been consistently cycling and swimming these past few months and have even snuck in a few runs in spite of injury. So base training hasn't been that bad.

The longest ride should be around 5hrs, but there might be a longer ride thrown in there this month during Easter as my wife, who's also doing the same race, and I will travel with the MTB's and do a few group rides that week but won't have access to a pool.

Starting this week, we'll try to get to the pool on Saturdays as well to make sure we complete 3 swims during the week instead of only 2. With regards to running, I've prepared the plan mainly for her, capping the long run at 2hrs (twice). I'll increase my own time/distance gradually and go by feel. Like I've been doing so far, I'll most likely pass on any speed work, but might attempt some of the short tempo runs. I figure that if I can get a couple of 1.5hr runs pain-free about 4 to 5 weeks out from race day, I should be able to complete the run leg on race day (my target race split for the run is around 2:05 under these circumstances). My hip/adductor injury seems to be loosening up. I keep doing my prescribed stretching on a daily basis. 

Have a great training week everyone! 
2011-04-04 7:53 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Very big congratulations on the beautiful boy!
2011-04-04 10:35 AM

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
Thanks everyone for the congrats!

Got a ride in here in West Texas yesterday. Did 25 miles of the Buffalo Springs Lake 70.3 course. Winds were sustained at 33mph and gusting up to 45. It was the craziest ride ive ever done. Literally alomost got tossed from the bike a couple times blown off the road at least 4 times. It will be good for the ol confidence if the wind is blowing on race day.

2011-04-06 6:19 PM
in reply to: #3428700

User image

Expert

Jimmy- How did it go with your bike fitting? I am unfamiliar with those components, but I do have a carbon base bar. The big thing I noticed when I switched from aluminum is I feel less road vibration, which for me means less fatigue in my arms and shoulders. Who knows, it could be all in my head, but carbon is always nice, and those Devox bars look mighty pretty and everyone knows prettier is faster

Felix- That is great that you will be training with your wife, and it is good to see you recovering and your running coming along so nicely.

Randy- That is some serious wind you were riding in! I'm not a fan of the wind. Don't like that feeling of getting blown around, and somehow the wind seems to suck the life out of me. Give me some nice big hills instead of the wind any day. That is good practice for you in case it is windy on race day which I understand is very likely in Texas.

I had a good race on Sunday. Was especially pleased with how well I biked, and how strong I felt on the second run. It's always good to feel a little spring in your legs when you get off the bike.

2011-04-07 12:40 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Blanc, MI
Randy, congrats on the baby boy! Kiss those long training rides good-bye for a while!

Back from Disney, great weather, even better time watching my 3 daughters have the time of their lives, priceless.

Refreshed, refocused and ready to get training again, 10 weeks till my HIM.

Hope training is going well for all.
2011-04-07 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3434487

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Hope you brought some of the FL sun & warmth back north with you! 

We did Universal this year, instead of Disney, and the kids really enjoyed that too.  Big Harry Potter fans. 

2011-04-07 1:05 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Blanc, MI
Great weather, and yes, I hope I brought some back north too!
No Universal, kids (11,8,7) still not interested. Major accomplishment though, finally got the chickens to ride Space Mtn!! The even better part is, now they're actually looking forward to my IM at Cedar Pt.
2011-04-07 1:40 PM
in reply to: #3434535

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Ours are 11,9,6.  We were a bit worried they might be 'disappointed' it wasn't Disney.  Helps that the two older ones (especially the 9-yo) like the 'thrill' rides.  But even the youngest who's a little more leery of some of those rides had a great time.  And since the oldest is a boy, he was never a real princess fan. 

That said, they would all go back to Disney in a second as well.  Glad you and the girls enjoyed it!

2011-04-08 10:08 AM

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
Hey guys.....

First race of the year is about 5 weeks out. I was wondering how soon should I take the bike in for a tune up. As soon as possible or cloer to race day?

I just want to make sure all the cables are good and the wheels are true and get her a good cleaning.
2011-04-08 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3436034

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
You are close enough to do it now if you want.  I actually prefer not to do something like that inside the last couple weeks.  Sometimes you might mind something needs to be 're-tweaked' or wasn't retightened properly, etc.  Better to have those things happen in training with some time get it fixed than to be rushing around right before race day (when you have plenty of other things to worry about).  So anytime in the next few weeks would be what I would do.
2011-04-08 10:52 AM

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
I have a long ride planned for Saturday. Ill try to get it in after that.

Random question for ya Johnny....How far is Media from Erie?
2011-04-08 10:54 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

You may all have noticed that our group has been 'archived'.  No worries, as I will keep checking in here as long as the thread stays active and look forward to seeing how racing goes for everybody as we get closer to the really fun part of the season.

I will also be co-mentoring a group for the Spring with Fred Doucette.  Fred is a very strong triathlete and also very knowledgable about long-course.  If some of you are interested in 're-upping' for a few more months, you can look for our group in the new forum.  And/or feel free to continue hanging out here in our smaller group.

Regardless, best of luck to all.  In this season and beyond!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay's HIM & IM focused Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 13