General Discussion Race Reports! » River Cities Triathlon - 25th Anniversary Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

River Cities Triathlon - 25th Anniversary - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Shreveport, LA
United States
Sportspectrum
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 28s
Overall Rank = 642/1161
Age Group = Clyde 1- 39
Age Group Rank = 24/47
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 5:30 after a good night sleep. Packed up the hotel room and headed out to the race site. Stopped to get the Wife a latte at starbucks so I went ahead and got a large bottle of water there and drank it. Also had a cliff bar. Drove out to wait in the LOONG line to get into the park where the race was. (Start was delayed maybe 10 - 15 minutes becuase it took a while to get everyone admitted to the park. Walked from the car to the T area and setup transition. I would have liked to take the bike for a little spin to warm up but I was worried that they would close the transition area before I got back. .. soooo..
Event warmup:

No real warm up.. I swam maybe 100 yards just to get a feel for the lake.
Swim
  • 14m 27s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ok.. so I learned really one thing at my last tri.. Don't go out so freakin hard. and I didn't.. I learned another thing at this tri.. you can fit 135 people in a small space comfortably if they are standing straight up. Once they swim.. all new story. I was in the second line of swimmers in our wave and ended up having to push my way through to open water.. After I did that It was really only up to me to screw things up :)

The first leg felt pretty good and I navigated pretty well out to the turn bouy. I tried not to sight too much as it really destroys my stroke and momentum. Rounded the first bouy pretty close and headed down the back stretch having to dodge some folks from the previous two waves. ok.. not so bad.. now.. here is where I screw things up. I rated my navagation bad because when I rounded the second bouy to head home I ended up swinging kinda wide (not too bad though) and heading back in as If the course was square.. This side of the triangular course headed back over towards where we started.. Anyway.. the next thing I know I breathe over to my left and this lady on a motor boat is looking at me and pointing in a direction that I'm not going.. so I veer off to the right and start sighting less on the bouys and more on the big huge red chute at the swim exit. Aside for my poor navigation I'm really pretty pleased with my swim. I kept my rythym for most of the leg and had a good strong finish. I really have no idea how far I swam..
What would you do differently?:

Swim the swim course and not go sight seeing around the freakin lake! I'm also gonna make a point to get in the front of the swim starts from now on. I think it would probably be less painful to be swum over than to try and swim through people.

Also, I think next time I'm going topless and getting a gel flask. I think my top is slowing me down. It felt kinda baggy in the back.
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

The transition area was HUGE! there were two sides to it. The Swim entrance was at one end. facing away from that the bike in and out were on the right side (kinda crappy) and the run out was on the left. There were some nice kiddy pools full of water that we used to wash off our feet since we'd just run up the "beach". That was nice and my feet stayed clean till i got to my bike which was at the other end of the T-area. socks went on pretty quickly, shoes on.. helmet on.. get outta there. I was maybe 40 feet from the bike out which was perfect cause I didn't have to run in my shoes. The only crappy part about it was that the lane where folks were biking in was on the left side of the in/out exit space so I had to cross a lane of traffic to get to the bike out.. kinda screwy. jogged up to the mount line and headed out. The space for the mounting and dismounting was pretty limited so things got a little crowded at that spot. (I was 15th in my division at this.. not bad)

I think that this is about as quick as I'm gonna be able to do this unless the T-area is smaller or I learn to ride with out socks.
Bike
  • 56m 23s
  • 18.2 miles
  • 19.37 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't get my legs warmed up at all before the bike so the first couple of miles were kinda stiff. Once I got warm things went great. I got passed by many folks but most of them were real cyclists with disc wheels and just plain fast. The first quarter of the course didn't really have any real hills to it but the second and third had some pretty good ones. I was pretty intimidated after the ride through seeing some of the climbs but I guess I used my momentum really really well because I actually ended up passing like 5 and 6 people at a time on the climbs. No body was more suprised than me. (I do however think they knew something that I didn't. More on this later) I felt great on the back coming in and just really had fun on this leg. I also think I did a pretty good job keeping my cadence up which probably help lots with the hills.

Well.. Nothing other that probably not leave so much out on the bike course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Everything went well here except they made us run the same direction around the transition area so I actually had to run the entire loop. I guess this made it fair but it was a little confusing because I don't think that it was mentioned to us ahead of time. (or i wasn't paying attention :) )

WOW.. I just calculated my time for T2 in my division and I was the 3rd fastest.. can't complain there.. :)

try and learn to run without socks. but really at this point the extra 10 seconds to put them on is not a big deal.
Run
  • 32m 19s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh my.. this was horribly painful the majority of the way. I rode the bike pretty hard and really didn't have much gas left for the run. I felt OK right off the bike but it didn't take long for me to break down.. I think I had too much gatorade in my belly from the end of the bike (gotta fix that next time) so I didn't drink at most of the water stations. I was just pouring the water on my head. I walked a little bit of the way.. at a few of the water stations and just after this hill on the course that pretty much ate me up. Lots of work to do here.

Not bike so hard. I think my endurance here is acutally getting much better but my strength and speed is still pretty poor. I'm gonna have to start working some speed and strengh work into my shorter runs.
Post race
Warm down:

uh.. bend over.. try not to hurl.. go stand under the beautiful misting fans.. drank lots of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My run.. I'm still not sure that If I would have held off on the bike some that I would have had enough in me to turn out a good enough run to make up the time that I would have given away on the bike. Oh.. and staying on the swim course would have been nice too.. :)

Event comments:

The race was AWESOME! Great SWAG, chance to win a car.. (now that is some super swag!!) the staff and volunteers were great.. I'd recommend this race to everyone in the area.. I have no doubt it will become a gathing place for lots of BTers in the future.. next time we need to get more of the group together though.

It was great to meet everyone in person! I'm proud to know all of you!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-06-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:27 | 880 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/47
Overall: 99/1161
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Tri Top
Course: Trangular shaped course. swim pretty much straight out.. two right turns later you are headed back to shore
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:59
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:56:23 | 18.2 miles | 19.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 29/47
Overall: 725/1161
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: an 18 mile loop around the camp ground and lake. Rolling hills (that looked worse on the ride through preview that they ended up being) Some pretty fun downhills too..
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:19 | 03.1 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/47
Overall: 929/1161
Performance: Below average
Course: Fairly flat weaving course through the park. A few spots that took us on some trails and a few small hills.. (I hate hills.. big or small)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-08-08 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
Subject: River Cities Triathlon - 25th Anniversary

2005-08-08 9:53 AM
in reply to: #219149

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: River Cities Triathlon - 25th Anniversary
Great job Will! Super fast transitions, here I am whining about how far We had to run, both with and without the bike, yet you beat me by nearly a minute in each one. I think this is a great event, possibly both the biggest and best triathlon I've done to date. Really great to meet you and Mrs. Will, looking forward to seeing you guys again next month.
2005-08-08 10:03 AM

Master
Shreveport, LA
Great race Will! Was nice to meet you. Maybe next race, I will actually have a chance to talk with you. Between being on the end of the table for dinner and me leaving early to go my Fantasy Football draft, I didn't really get a chance to talk to you or your wife.

2005-08-08 10:10 AM

Expert
New Orleans, LA
Great race and Great Report!
2005-08-08 10:21 AM
in reply to: #219206

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
the bear - 2005-08-08 9:53 AM

Great job Will! Super fast transitions, here I am whining about how far We had to run, both with and without the bike, yet you beat me by nearly a minute in each one. I think this is a great event, possibly both the biggest and best triathlon I've done to date. Really great to meet you and Mrs. Will, looking forward to seeing you guys again next month.

Thanks!! Now If I only could have managed to draft you the whole race I might have made my 1:40 goal (well not counting the scores of penalties I would have gotten)

I've been working on those transitions (mostly with new equipment) and it really did pay off. I also get really excited when I get to the T area so I tend to move quickly. Plus it just seems to me like free time for the taking.

I agree.. no doubt the best one I've done so far.. of any event. I wish we could have hung around some more and visited. The dog was getting kinda hot and we had to drive back. I guess that was the bad part about having the sunday Tri. The wife and I really enjoyed meeting you and Mrs. Bear. And thanks for the chew thingy for the dog. She's quite greatful..

See ya'll next month!
2005-08-08 10:23 AM
in reply to: #219219

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
mnewton - 2005-08-08 10:03 AM

Great race Will! Was nice to meet you. Maybe next race, I will actually have a chance to talk with you. Between being on the end of the table for dinner and me leaving early to go my Fantasy Football draft, I didn't really get a chance to talk to you or your wife.

It was great to meet you and your wife as well!
You gonna be at Cajunman?
I do wish we could have chatted some more.. Sorry about the bad luck on the bike course. No doubt there is nothing worse that working hard for a race only to DNF because of equipment.. especially tires.

ws

2005-08-08 10:55 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Will,

Awesome job, I didn't know you were an olympic type swimmer. Also, fantastic T2, unbelievable. Hope to meet you at cajun man.

Ken
2005-08-08 6:24 PM

User image

Great race Will!
2005-08-08 7:33 PM

Elite Veteran
Great job!!! You really are a fish. Not too shabby in the other legs either.

Your dog was a trooper. Wish I could have made the dinner and/or spent time post-race with y'all but I couldn't find my family. That should be T3 at these bigger races.

Are you sore? I'm looking to rent an aero walker.
2005-08-08 8:10 PM
in reply to: #219908

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
lynda - 2005-08-08 7:33 PM
Are you sore? I'm looking to rent an aero walker.

LOL..

Yeah.. my legs were pretty much Jello on the whole ride home and I've been pretty tight today.

I just got back from about a 5.5 mile easy bike over some of my running routes to loosen things up.. seems to have done the trick.

Great to meet you! See you soon.
2005-08-09 8:12 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
awesome job, will! you did great!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » River Cities Triathlon - 25th Anniversary Rss Feed