Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any "mature" students on here? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-01-18 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3307142

User image

Master
PNW
Subject: RE: Any "mature" students on here?
madkat - 2011-01-18 1:27 PM I went to a very highly-ranked public high school, and I can probably list the kids in my class who didn't go on to college on one hand. It was expected, and the school did an excellent job preparing us to be able to make the transition. I have seen work being turned in here that I would have been ashamed to turn in as a 9th grader. The JC is doing that now -- preparing these kids to transfer to 4-year colleges and universities in 2 years.

I noticed that too.  Every single member of my public high school graduating class went on to college (not everyone graduated, but at least they started it), so it was a shocker to me to have to explain why my original college transcript had no basic writing classes.  I took those in HS...doesn't everyone?  The experience opened my eyes, for sure!

I also badly burnt my arm/wrist with boiling water while I was at the CC.  The 18-year old girls in my class were mortified "OMG, that's going to scar!".  Me: "Yeah, so?  It'll be a great conversation starter!".  They looked at me like I was insane.

2011-01-18 4:25 PM
in reply to: #3304364

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Mid-40's here.  Went to traditional university straight out of high school for a year then decided on the Navy.  I've been out for a while now and am attending CC to finally finish my engineering degree.

Frustrating part is re-taking classes because there's been too long since I took it in the first place and I haven't used enough of the material to remember for testing out.

I'm old enough to be the majority of my classmates dad.  They all want to sit in the back and not engage.  What a waste.

The most entertaining class so far was Philosophy.  They were 4 "mature" students & about 25 traditional.  It was a Saturday morning class so about half of the class got involved in the discussions.
2011-01-18 5:59 PM

User image

Expert
I'm 29, and I have been going to CC on and off.  I went to CC straight out of high school because I had no idea what I wanted to do.  After a year at CC, I ended up joining the Marine Corps.  I ended up getting hurt in the Marine Corps and got a medical discharge.  I then got married 7 months later to a Marine and we have been moving around for the last 8 years.  I have taken classes from all of the duty stations that we have been to.  I'm hoping to finish my 60 hours at the end of the year so I can transfer to a university.  Because we move a lot I have opted to go to an online university (Indiana State University). I'm so tired of not having a college degree that I am pushing myself this semester.  In the past I have only taken 6 credit hours a semester, but this semester I have decided to take 11 hours.  My husband will be gone for a part of the semester so it will be a little trying.  
2011-01-18 7:53 PM

Expert
Keep at it. Years ago I read an article about a waitress who was just entering Medical School at around age 40. The reporter commented to her about being 'fairly old' when she would receive her degree. Her response, "I could be 45 and be a waitress, or I could be 45 and be a Doctor."

If you have 20 years of experience an no degree, then that's what you have. If you have 20 years of experience, and a recent degree, then you have 20 years of experience and a degree. To most employers, the fact that you have a degree, whether it is old or recent, doesn't really matter.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any "mature" students on here? Rss Feed  

of 2