Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any "mature" students on here? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-01-17 12:07 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: Any "mature" students on here?
I know MaggyRuth is also taking college classes, and she and I have talked about the joys of being a "mature" student.

I went to college right after high school, but dropped out for stupid reasons. I wound up having a decent career anyway, and never went back. But after getting laid off for the third time, I could see the writing on the wall, and decided it was time to look into other careers. I've been taking classes off and on for the last couple of years, but finally got serious about getting some kind of certificate or degree and starting a new career path.

I'm starting yet another semester at my local junior college, with the goal of finally transferring to the local university to get a BA in Sustainability, with a focus on Education. I just finished an Early Childhood Ed assist. teacher certificate that I probably won't use. It was interesting to take the classes, but I decided to quit at that lower certificate rather than continue on to the teachers certificate or even the AA. It no longer feels right, and I don't want to waste any more time on it.

I suspect there are other non-traditional students on here. What's your story? How is it going for you?

2011-01-17 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3304364

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Any "mature" students on here?
Oh, yeah! I'm 29 and will be just turning 30 for my last final exam ever (assuming I don't fail something!) this semester. I've had a very non-traditional path...moved after I started college and had no credits transfer, had to make up for classes that I never took in high school, kids, triathlon, life, business all taking up my life with the end result that I will graduate 10 years after I started!

It's rough a lot of the time. I can't compete with these kids with my schedule. It's the reason that I wasn't accepted into my preferred program; I can't hold down a 3.75-3.8 with a family. Some can, I'm not one of those "some." I'm blessed with a baby face, so they don't realize that I'm 8-10 years older than the majority of them, but I cannot relate to these kids at all anymore. They're in a different world, operating on a different schedule and it makes it hard to navigate. Just stick to your goals and ignore the hardships. Nothing that's good ever comes easy!
2011-01-17 2:20 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
My wife teaches part time at a local community college and she swears that she would rather have the "mature" student over the traditional ones. She says that the "mature" stidents are defiantely there for a reason and not to just make their parents happy. She has far more issues with traditional students.
2011-01-17 2:28 PM

Expert
I'm a pretty traditional student...but im curious what a BA in sustainability is? Environment/development?  
2011-01-17 2:39 PM
in reply to: #3304651

User image

Master
Ohio
jford2309 - 2011-01-17 3:20 PM My wife teaches part time at a local community college and she swears that she would rather have the "mature" student over the traditional ones. She says that the "mature" stidents are defiantely there for a reason and not to just make their parents happy. She has far more issues with traditional students.

Of that I have no doubt. Look at the caliber of traditional age student you have at a local community college (CC). By and large they are scraping the bottom of the barrel academic-wise. Now, before anyone jumps down my throat, let me explain a few things:
1. I've only ever attended community colleges.
2. I'm including myself in this sweeping generalization. I went to CC right out of HS and didn't take it seriously.
3. Now, in my mid-30's, I'm back at the local CC and taking it much more seriously.
4. There are many acceptions. Many of my fellow traditional age students (Mostly the ones trying to get into nursing school) are very serious about their studies.

Anyway, I have 4-5 more classes at my CC before I move on to a traditional 4 year school. I'll be doing that in the fall. I'm getting much more out of my education now that I have some serious life experience under my belt. But I do find myself asking "when am I going to use this in real life?" regarding some of my required classes-and pretty much knowing that the answer is never.
2011-01-17 2:55 PM

User image

Elite
At age 49, I was way older than most grad student when I went back to Georgia Teck for a PhD.  I felt a bit awkward about being older than most professors and old enough to be a parent to most of the other students.  It worked out ok.  I got along well with the other grad students.  It helped that I always had homework the problems solved.  Conversations were limited schoolwork, food (I hosted a dinner and restaurant club), and sports.  I did start triathlon training there.  I got to train with a couple of people who eventually became pretty good triathletes.

That was back when you lived in Atlanta, Madkat

TW

2011-01-17 3:09 PM
in reply to: #3304730

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
tech_geezer - 2011-01-17 12:55 PM

TW

Ha! Are you channeling my alter-ego? I never lived in Atlanta, but threatened to move there a couple of years ago, after the first layoff.

I did three years of college and was probably pretty close to finishing up, except that I changed my major about as often as I changed my hairstyle. *sigh*

Sonoma State University has a Sustainability program that offers both a BA and a BS, and has several different sub-programs for environmental issues relating to engineering, design, agriculture, landscaping, and education. I'm interested in the education program in the hope that it will help me toward my goals of setting up a program/organization that teaches people how to grow and/or prepare a wider variety of foods. It would also give me the experience to become a docent or steward working at several of the local parks and nature preserves.
2011-01-17 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3304651

User image

Veteran
SE TX
jford2309 - 2011-01-17 2:20 PM My wife teaches part time at a local community college and she swears that she would rather have the "mature" student over the traditional ones. She says that the "mature" stidents are defiantely there for a reason and not to just make their parents happy. She has far more issues with traditional students.

From another part-timer, I will echo this sentiment, x1000.
2011-01-17 3:39 PM
in reply to: #3304834

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
CKTX - 2011-01-17 4:34 PM

jford2309 - 2011-01-17 2:20 PM My wife teaches part time at a local community college and she swears that she would rather have the "mature" student over the traditional ones. She says that the "mature" stidents are defiantely there for a reason and not to just make their parents happy. She has far more issues with traditional students.

Well, I should hope they'd be more mature. Most continuing students are well over 18, whereas traditional students are just 18 year old kids...
2011-01-17 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3304846

User image

Veteran
SE TX

I love hearing, "I want to graduate before my kid graduates." BTW I especially enjoy having a parent/"child" pair in the classroom, though it's not often.

2011-01-17 4:24 PM

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah
I'm 29 and started back up this past fall.  I went the traditional route and went to college straight out of highschool and finished my bachelors.  Problem was that I decided Theatre sounded like a great idea for a major and then the economy went to crap.  So now I'm going back.  Trying to get into nursing school but if that doesn't happen I'll probably go the sports med/sports management route.

2011-01-17 5:41 PM
in reply to: #3304697

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
David tri's - 2011-01-17 3:39 PM
jford2309 - 2011-01-17 3:20 PM My wife teaches part time at a local community college and she swears that she would rather have the "mature" student over the traditional ones. She says that the "mature" stidents are defiantely there for a reason and not to just make their parents happy. She has far more issues with traditional students.

Of that I have no doubt. Look at the caliber of traditional age student you have at a local community college (CC). By and large they are scraping the bottom of the barrel academic-wise. Now, before anyone jumps down my throat, let me explain a few things:
1. I've only ever attended community colleges.
2. I'm including myself in this sweeping generalization. I went to CC right out of HS and didn't take it seriously.
3. Now, in my mid-30's, I'm back at the local CC and taking it much more seriously.
4. There are many acceptions. Many of my fellow traditional age students (Mostly the ones trying to get into nursing school) are very serious about their studies.

Anyway, I have 4-5 more classes at my CC before I move on to a traditional 4 year school. I'll be doing that in the fall. I'm getting much more out of my education now that I have some serious life experience under my belt. But I do find myself asking "when am I going to use this in real life?" regarding some of my required classes-and pretty much knowing that the answer is never.

A friend of mine just retired from the police department to teach criminal investigation at the local community program.  He was told by the guy that hired him to remember that the 18 year old students he will be teaching "didn't have Penn as their second choice".
2011-01-17 5:45 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
CKTX - 2011-01-17 1:34 PM

I'm in a grad program this year but spent last spring finishing one pre req needed for my program. The class was cheaper to take at a community college (60 dollars a course vs. 600 dollars at a 4 year university) so I signed up. I found this ^^^ to be the case for the most part. The "mature" full time students tended do their work, show up to class and pass exams. The class I took started out with 60 (plus or minus) students on day one of the semester and 20 (plus or minus) students made it to the final exam, all of the "mature" students were at the final. There were very focused traditional students in the class but they weren't the norm.

Good luck everyone and have a great Spring Semester/Quarter.
2011-01-17 9:06 PM

User image

Took my first class at the college level at age 28. Six years later graduated with a 4 year degree. Best decision I made in a number of years. Go for it!
2011-01-18 6:07 AM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Add me to the list!  I got my associate's right out of high school but then took some time off to "figure out what I wanted to do with my life."  That translated into getting married and having three kids over the next few years. 

I decided that since my kids are now all in school full time that it was time for me to go back and finish what I started.  My first semester at UCONN (go Huskies!) was Fall '10 and I had a full time course load (15 credits).  It was quite an adjustment for everyone but we got into a routine.  I think it's important for my kids to see me doing homework and taking exams.  Lead by example.

Today is the first day of classes for the Spring semester and my kids have a snow day.  So, I am still working to find a balance between mom and student.  If I can't make it to class, rest assured, I will be working on my assignments all day today.  It's been fun, yet challenging, to go back to school.  It is very different than when I went the first time.  Kids with computers surfing the net and playing on Facebook took some getting used to. 
2011-01-18 7:09 AM

User image

Master
I was 27 the first time iwent back to college to get 2 Bachelors degree's (Dual Major)

I am now 5o working on my third Masters, and teaching part time at a junior college.
I would rather have the "mature studetnws any day of the week.
They do there work and they don't whine about, "When will I need this?"
They know that they will need it tomorrow when they go into the job.

2011-01-18 9:01 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Not one myself, but I do work with them through our college, which specializes in degrees (graduate and undergraduate), professional education, and personal enrichment learning for adults. (We also have traditional-age undergraduate and grad students, but adults are our primary market)

Yay for you for going back to school!
2011-01-18 10:32 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Yea for you! 

If being a student were profitable, I'd still be in school (and I'm 46).  I did the "traditional" student gig, getting my BSEE when I was 22.  Worked full time for 3 years during which time I had my second child and my wife finished her associates degree.  Continued working and started taking classes part-time towards my MSEE.  Had my remaining two sons before graduating as a 30-year-old.  Decided a PhD wasn't in the cards then, so I've done the full-time-work gig since. 

My wife went back and finished her BA (English) a few years ago.  She's BAMBAM66 here on BT and can lend some perspective. 

2011-01-18 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3306265

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
I'm 30 now but started back at college about two years ago for nursing. I've only been taking one class at a time so it's going slowly but I should be in the nursing program in a year. I really can't wait to finish mainly because I work for the airlines and I can't stand it, but it's stable and my schedule is flexible. I do find it much easier to focus now since there is so much more urgency than when I first went to college straight out of high school....straight A's so far!
2011-01-18 11:47 AM
in reply to: #3304769

User image

Elite
madkat - 2011-01-17 4:09 PM
tech_geezer - 2011-01-17 12:55 PM

TW

Ha! Are you channeling my alter-ego? I never lived in Atlanta, but threatened to move there a couple of years ago, after the first layoff.

I did three years of college and was probably pretty close to finishing up, except that I changed my major about as often as I changed my hairstyle. *sigh*

Sonoma State University has a Sustainability program that offers both a BA and a BS, and has several different sub-programs for environmental issues relating to engineering, design, agriculture, landscaping, and education. I'm interested in the education program in the hope that it will help me toward my goals of setting up a program/organization that teaches people how to grow and/or prepare a wider variety of foods. It would also give me the experience to become a docent or steward working at several of the local parks and nature preserves.

If it was channeling, it must have been pretty shallow.  I guess I was remembering someone else from several years ago who moved from Atlanta to California.  Good luck.  The work you are after sounds very satisfying.  I like digging the dirt.
2011-01-18 12:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I went to college the first time to get away from my parents.  It was a good time.  After four years I decided to go to college to get a degree so I left my first school and went to a community college.  I felt like I was back in high school, but as an observer.  No one talked to me, I didn't talk to anyone else, it was perfect.  I graduated with an AA and went to a 4 year school to get a BS in Engineering.  While there I mostly ignored the traditional students.  For the most part I could no longer relate to the culture of a college student and I just wanted to get done.  I am still way better friends with the people I knew from round one of college, than with anyone associated with round 2A or 2B.  Excepting of course my wife.

2011-01-18 1:42 PM

User image

Master
Elm Grove

Not yet, but hopefully very soon.  I went to college straight out of HS and got a degree after 5.5 years.  Finally just got done to business after I met my wife and got out with a History degree.  I have been working in sales for the past 6 years and have just realized that I have much different interests and plans.  Looking to go back and get into PT or Sports Med.  I am just starting to look into what will and will not transfer in regards to Gen Ed. requirements. 

I think the biggest thing that has pushed this is I will be 30 in March and we have a 6 month old now, so I want to get this taken care of so I can get into something I really enjoy.

2011-01-18 1:56 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
CKTX - 2011-01-17 4:34 PM

This holds true even at the law-school level.  Most law students are great to teach, but those people who have had jobs and families before returning for law school are a special breed.  Law school is stressful for anyone, and the younger ones tend to be more timid, less likely to want to speak their minds or stand out in the crowd.    A percentage also surf Facebook and IM each other during class, or come to class hung over, other stupid stuff like that.  Not all of them, but some.

The older ones couldn't care less what the 22-year-olds think and will speak their minds.  They are more focused on what they are here for, and will engage more.  They have relevant experience to add to discussions. 

In conclusion: all of you "mature" students are probably super awesome. 
2011-01-18 2:27 PM

User image

Master
PNW
I have lots of 'mature' student experience.

I got my first degree at traditional age (22) as a BA in Sociology.  Pretty useless degree but I went into retail management with it.  Then I hit 29 and was getting bored with my career choice so I went back to school.  I started taking the lower level classes a CC and I kept my mouth shut for the most part.  Since I wore a baseball hat to class pretty much every day, the other students really didn't know how old I was.  When it came out during a break one time that I was born in the 60's, they all freaked out.  Funny.  When I transfered to the local state university, it was a better mix of ages.  My area had a lot of ex-navy guys getting degrees on the GI bill, so most of them were my age and we all gravitated towards each other.  I finished with a BS and an MS in electrical engineering at 34.

Now I'm almost 43 and researching my next career.  I'm thinking med school which means a few pre req classes at the local CC again.  I'm really curious as to how I'll be received now that I'm not only older, but wrinkled.   I expect that my age and experience will actually be an asset when it comes to applying to programs though, so I'm gonna milk it for all it's worth! 

"GET OFF MY LAWN!"

Edited by GLC1968 2011-01-18 2:28 PM
2011-01-18 3:27 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Santa Rosa has a good junior college, and I've learned quite a bit. But I can say that the academic standards are very very different from the University of Michigan, where I went for a year way way way back when, before transferring to be close to home.

The biggest thing that community and junior colleges do are introduce a whole group of people to the next level of standards. So many kids are being graduated from high schools around the country without even a minimum amount of knowledge about how to write a coherent paragraph, much less how to manage their time in order to be successful in their college and career-life.

I went to a very highly-ranked public high school, and I can probably list the kids in my class who didn't go on to college on one hand. It was expected, and the school did an excellent job preparing us to be able to make the transition. I have seen work being turned in here that I would have been ashamed to turn in as a 9th grader. The JC is doing that now -- preparing these kids to transfer to 4-year colleges and universities in 2 years.

On a lighter note: It is immensely hilarious to me to be in classes with barely-18 year old kids who are just as young and dumb as I never want to remember I was. Oh, the drama of their lives!

Also, best (worst?) line I heard last year, sitting in on a different session's final exam time: "Dude! I'm, like, still totally drunk!"
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any "mature" students on here? Rss Feed  

of 2