General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newton Running Shoes ROCK! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-01-17 7:11 PM

Subject: Newton Running Shoes ROCK!
Recently hurt my foot training for a January Marathon.  Was running on Asic gels which I liked, but was getting into 16-17mi runs and feeling a lot of pain....Went to the running store in frustration at having to stop and heal, and the guy looked at my form.  I lean forward slightly and take shorter strides.  

The guy pulled out some Newton running shoes and explained the theory behind the seemingly weird soles, and how it eliminates heal strike by encouraging you to run on your mid foot.  So I bought a pair just to see if it would work.

THESE THINGS ARE AWESOME!  I am running faster, lighter, and smoother than I ever have.  My foot feels great, and I will never look back.  I highly recommend these for anyone looking for a good shoe.  Be warned that they are different though. 

2011-01-17 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3305239

User image

South Florida
Subject: RE: Newton Running Shoes ROCK!
aaaaaaand nother one drank the coolaid Laughing

They are great shoes and transformed me from a heal striker to a mid/forfoot stiker. BE CAREFUL with your mileage.  Take it easy for the first few weeks. Hopefully the running store explained it to you
2011-01-17 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3305254

User image

Veteran
Boston
I'm a neutral mid-foot striker (from what the running store told me after watching me run).  I tried the Newtons there out of curiosity and they were simply painful for me (and I've run short distances in my Five Fingers).

Then again, I'm fairly new to distance running so I think as I get better it may be different.  From what I understand, they don't transform your running style, yet are simply more favorable to a forefoot strike since the heel is much lower than standard shoes...

Seems to be one of those hit or miss shoes.  Good luck with them!
2011-01-17 8:25 PM

Expert
I have the gravity's and have run on them maybe like 10 times for 40 miles.  I think I'll continue to mix in runs with them, but I really do prefer to run on my Kinvara's.  I think the Newtons helped me a lot though and are the only reason I'm running on the Kinvara's.  I think I'm going to aim for one day a week in them now.  People were warning me of calf soreness after, and even after a 9mi run I didnt experience this.  I do feel tightness in the calf while i'm running in them, which is why I haven't done so much of it.
2011-01-18 6:49 AM

User image

Veteran
East Greenbush
I have used Newton's for about 2 years now.  Make sure you listen to what they say about the break in period.  You do not break the shoes in......they break you in.  My 1st couple of runs in them and my calves were screaming at me.
2011-01-18 7:46 AM

User image

I attended a Natural Running Seminar put on by Newton shoes and won a pair as the door prize. I ran two miles in them the first day, using the stride technique taught at the seminar, and the shoes felt great.  I am not an experienced runner, usually doing about 10 miles a week, and I do have some minor calf pain but I know I will work through it.

2011-01-18 6:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overlea/Fullerton Maryland
Bought a pair today. Ill let you know what I think
2011-01-18 6:40 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Just set my 1/2 marathon PR in a pair of Newtons... beat it by almost 5min.

Yes, I do love my shoes to the point that I have a few pairs already (incl. a pair of trail runners for the winter)
2011-01-18 7:10 PM

User image

Champion
MA
I was an early cool aid drinker...started wearing the in July 2007.

I tried some Mizunos for a few months in 2009 and went back to Newtons and felt so much better.
2011-01-18 9:35 PM

User image

Tampa
Completely switched over to Newtons after discovering how much less trashed my legs were after a 20 miler than in the Brooks & Asics I was wearing at the time.  Just bought pair #5 this weekend.
2011-01-19 11:27 AM
in reply to: #3307793

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I want them! I run in Kinvaras and have no complaints. Do you think running in Newtons will only exacerbate my sometimes sore calves if I'm already a fore foot runner (attempting to run with a midfoot strike?) Or is the sore calf issue mainly for heal strikers?

2011-02-01 10:23 AM

Regular

Just bought a pair last month but have been sick and ran very little over the past 30 days. Does anyone else experience an air escaping sound when they are walking in them? I only notice it on my left foot.

2011-02-01 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I really like mine but be careful with the mileage buildup.

I have over 50 miles in mine but I still ended up with shin splints this last week. I am pretty sure it was due to me increasing my mileage too much too soon and not so much to do with the shoe. But wanted to echo a warning anyway because being sidelined from running just plain sucks!

2011-02-01 10:54 AM

I do believe mid to forward foot striking is more than likely more efficient and firmly believe it is better from an impact perspective.  I've tried on Newton's and they do in fact encourage this style of running, although IMO they are overpriced and unnecessary.  If you want to mid\forward foot strike, just do it.  You don't need special shoes for this.  

It does take conscious effort to change your gait in this manner but focusing on your form is something you should be doing anyways.  The majority of my runs consist of mainly mid\forward striking until I feel a twinge in my Achilles or calves and then I will heel strike for the next few minutes.  Rotate back.  Now I don't have to swap shoes during each one of my runs if I want to go longer.  You can land how you want.  Your shoes don't need to make this decision for you.

Alternatively you can tape a penny or something else uncomfortable\easy to notice in the heel to remind you to not land there.  This trick has been around for ages.  I for one think you should rather just take the earbuds out of yours ears once in a while and be mindful of your form. Focus on the activitey at hand.  Not a bash on listening to music while running, sometimes improving form just takes all your focus.

Enjoy the shoes, sounds like they are serving your needs well.

2011-02-01 2:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth. Texas
LOVE my Newtons!  on pair #4 now. 

Please pass the Coolaid
2011-02-01 3:48 PM

Atlanta
Newtons are not for me. I have a pair for sale with only 29 miles on them. dm me if you are interested. They are size 9.5.

2011-02-01 9:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mendenhall, MS
Just purchased a pair saturday and ready to run in them.
2011-02-02 7:39 AM
in reply to: #3334469

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Just when you do go out for your first few runs in them, start slow and keep it at a short distance. The instructions clearly states that you need to do just this to gradually build up the muscles/sinew (especially in your calfs). I think some people trying out Newtons and complaining about calf issues start out at a normal pace and normal distance, which is a mistake... start off with one or two runs per week in your Newtons (if you need longer runs, start off with your Newtons, loop back home and change to your previous shoe and continue the run).
2011-02-02 11:43 PM
in reply to: #3333133

All good points. I'm always in favor of simplicity and common sense (except for my tri habit)...
2011-02-03 5:12 AM

User image

Veteran
indiana
belangerman - 2011-01-17 8:11 PM Recently hurt my foot training for a January Marathon.  Was running on Asic gels which I liked, but was getting into 16-17mi runs and feeling a lot of pain....Went to the running store in frustration at having to stop and heal, and the guy looked at my form.  I lean forward slightly and take shorter strides.  

The guy pulled out some Newton running shoes and explained the theory behind the seemingly weird soles, and how it eliminates heal strike by encouraging you to run on your mid foot.  So I bought a pair just to see if it would work.

THESE THINGS ARE AWESOME!  I am running faster, lighter, and smoother than I ever have.  My foot feels great, and I will never look back.  I highly recommend these for anyone looking for a good shoe.  Be warned that they are different though. 

I've been ramping up the base for a may half mary, running in asics gels...I have been having a lot of lower leg pain during and after my fast (for me) tm workouts. I might have to check these things out, I am a fore/mid foot striker as is.
2011-02-03 7:35 AM

I'm new to barefoot running world and minimalist shoes and I was a bit confused as to which product of Newton Running shoes I'm going to buy. I have two choices: Newton Running Motion vs. Newton Running Gravity.  I have pics and infos found at the links below, but I want to hear some recommendations from anyone wearing these shoes. Thank you in advance.

http://barefootrunningshoes.org/newton-running-shoes/mens/newton-running-gravity
http://barefootrunningshoes.org/newton-running-shoes/mens/newton-running-motion/

2011-02-03 8:39 AM
in reply to: #3336666

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
ditchmedic - 2011-02-03 3:12 AM
belangerman - 2011-01-17 8:11 PM Recently hurt my foot training for a January Marathon.  Was running on Asic gels which I liked, but was getting into 16-17mi runs and feeling a lot of pain....Went to the running store in frustration at having to stop and heal, and the guy looked at my form.  I lean forward slightly and take shorter strides.  

The issue isn't JUST that the Newtons are geared towards a forefoot landing -- the "heel drop" (the differential between the height of the heel vs the forefoot) is MUCH less in the Newtons that in most shoes. So as your heel kisses the ground after the initial forefoot landing (as it should), your calves are working in a different range of motion (they'll be stretched out more). This will give you a lot of calf soreness, so that's what you need to transition into, not just the foot landing.

I've been ramping up the base for a may half mary, running in asics gels...I have been having a lot of lower leg pain during and after my fast (for me) tm workouts. I might have to check these things out, I am a fore/mid foot striker as is.
2011-02-03 9:57 AM

User image

New user

I'm just got my Newton neutral trainers and have about 50 miles on them .......coming from Brooks Trance ....I love them, I keep waiting for the soreness everyone talks about, but I got nothing, so far, so good...I feel less pain and discomfort in my joints during my run, and think my stride and form has improved. Not sure if that helps....I know everyone is different, but for me, I'm sold...I went to the seminar dealy, and ordered my shoes a few days later.

good luck
2011-02-03 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3336788

User image

Veteran
East Greenbush
dominicsmith_412 - 2011-02-03 8:35 AM I'm new to barefoot running world and minimalist shoes and I was a bit confused as to which product of Newton Running shoes I'm going to buy. I have two choices: Newton Running Motion vs. Newton Running Gravity.  I have pics and infos found at the links below, but I want to hear some recommendations from anyone wearing these shoes. Thank you in advance.

http://barefootrunningshoes.org/newton-running-shoes/mens/newton-running-gravity
http://barefootrunningshoes.org/newton-running-shoes/mens/newton-running-motion/

The Motions help correct over pronation when you run.  The Gravties do not.
2011-02-03 5:27 PM

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI
I am thinking of trying another pair. I started in them. I didn't like the lugs after I got on my mid-foot. They hurt the balls of my feet. I have been on my mid-foot long enough now that it has toughened up. Now I wonder if I would like them.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newton Running Shoes ROCK! Rss Feed  

of 2