General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GRRRRR!!! I'm going crazy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-20 5:05 PM

Subject: GRRRRR!!! I'm going crazy
Well I have decided to start doing triathlons and have been doing research and trying to ask questions.  Now in 2 weeks I will have my cash in hand and will be buying my bike.  Initially I was thinking buying used, but not knowing what to look for I might buy a bike and have to put work in to it and end up spending as much as a new bike.  So i have decided to go new.  At first I thought I'll just get a road bike, it cheaper and can do more with it.  Then I decided to just get a tri bike im not going to do group rides and dont wanna have to spend more money a couple months down the road when i wanna get more competative.  So i found a pretty good deal on a bike with ultegra and dura ace components.  I got excited as crap i found my bike.  But now I am second guessing myself again everytime I go into a shop.  I'm having a harder time making a decision on this then i did deciding to join the Marines.  Thanks for listening to me vent.  

2011-01-20 5:24 PM
in reply to: #3312115

User image

Subject: RE: GRRRRR!!! I'm going crazy
Take your time and don't rush the decision.  Make sure the bike fits you properly first and foremost. 
2011-01-20 5:32 PM
in reply to: #3312142

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
tri808 - 2011-01-20 3:24 PM

Take your time and don't rush the decision.  Make sure the bike fits you properly first and foremost. 

Great advice about the fit. I look back at some of the stuff that I almost bought before and cringe. I've had shops try to sell me bikes that are way to big for me and stuff that I just don't need.

What distance are you going to be focused on? I love the versatility of a road bike and finally this year have a TT bike as well because I finally am ready to go for 140.6 and wanted a bit more wind cheating. You can be competitive on a road bike and keep more options open.

There are so many confusing choices for triathlon but I've seen so many races in which "fast" bikes aren't and "slow" ones are. I've also seen people looking very uncomfortable on their bikes. If you find one that is comfortable, go for it and commit.

2011-01-20 6:12 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Unless you are in a rush and need the friggin bike like NOW take your time. Get a cheap used one. I bought a new p2 sl when I started because I NEEDED it. And I sorta did, but not really. I only really used it for 18 months and now it sits in the basement and collects dust. I needed it right away because I was doing an IM in 8 months and I figured better get the bike I am going to ride. In retrospect I shouldn't have been so paranoid about it, could have gotten a used bike for less than half the price (still not cheap).

2011-01-20 6:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
Just keep in mind bikes don't make you fast nor to they win races....
2011-01-21 6:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Massachusetts
I'm a little unsure of the question.  Is it new vs. used or road vs. tri bike??

I was in your shoes last January.  I bought a road bike for more versitility.  What if I didn't like tris, I may like riding.  My A race was an HIM in August.  After my B HIM in June I was hooked and bought a tri bike.  I was not doing any group rides and I started thinking about going long.  I didn't regret the road bike as it sits in the trainer and serves as a back up.

Mentality could also be a factor in your decission.  Being a marine I don't see you not wanting to push it so maybe jumping right to tri bike will be fine.

Just make sure you get fitted properly for either.  Good luck.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GRRRRR!!! I'm going crazy Rss Feed