Clark County Running Club
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 22m 20s
Overall Rank = 21/349
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/28
Pre-race routine:

Flew into Portland the day before and ran a quick couple of miles with my buddy Jake. Quick trip to Trader Joe's for the morning breakfast of Panda Puffs. Got up, had my cereal, and a small piece of dark chocolate. Mixed up my First Endurance drinks and headed up to Vancover, WA.
Event warmup:

Pretty cold out so I bundled up and jogged a mile with a few pickups to race pace. Pounded my EFS/Pre-race 30 minutes out from race start. Stripped all the layers off and ran in just shorts, singlet, and gloves.
Run
  • 1h 22m 20s
  • 13.17 miles
  • 06m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I really wanted a PR so I geared the previous 8 weeks of training specifically for that. For some reason it's really important to me to get a good off season half-marathon before I start working towards long course triathlon training. I feel like it sets up the whole year for me mentally. Anyways, onto the race. Ran with my Garmin 310xt, which I don't normally do, but I wanted to pace as evenly as possible. First mile was a little quick for me. Went 6:05 so I immediately pulled back in the 2nd to 6:15. The rest of the race was staying between 6:10 and 6:20. I've noticed running a half takes a great deal of focus for me. I can let my mind wander and as soon as that happens my pace drops. So I just put my head down and concentrated on turn-over, breathing, arm swing, and anything that results in forward propulsion. It seems to work for me and probably why I can't run with music. Took about half of a Crank Sports E-Gel just before the mile 6 aid station and chased it with water. At mile 10 my left quadricep really tightened up and got progressively worse with each mile. Didn't affect my pace but was definitely uncomfortable. I tried to run the tangent but with the abrupt u-turns it was nearly impossible.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I'm happy with my time and it's nearly a 2 minute PR for me. My last PR at this distance was at Canyonlands in Moab, which is a much quicker course with a net overall elevation loss and few turns. I was absolutely wrecked after this race. Delayed onset muscle soreness lasted a few days longer than normal, but I really pushed it.
Post race
Warm down:

I tried to get a cool down jog in but after a couple of hundred meters my legs said no more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No limiting factors. I was rested. The temps were cool with only a mild wind in some directions. Everything just sorta came together.

Event comments:

Now that's outta the way I'm really looking forward to some hard bike and swim training (maintenance mode since the end of last tri season). I'm gonna cut a little run mileage but keep the key workouts. I feel like I've found a balance between new fatherhood, work, and triathlon. So I'm really looking forward to this race season. Ideally I'd like to get 3-4 half irons, some Oly's, and a few sprints in there. I think I'll wait till 2012 for another full iron, although I have been approached about Vineman Full. I'm still on the fence with that one though.

Last updated: 2011-01-21 12:00 AM
Running
01:22:20 | 13.17 miles | 06m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/28
Overall: 21/349
Performance: Good
Course: Flat course with some out and backs. A few hard U-turns just to make you shift gears.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-01-30 8:14 AM

User image

Colorado Springs
Subject: CCRC Vancouver Lake Half Marathon

2011-01-31 9:22 AM
in reply to: #3329188

User image

Subject: RE: CCRC Vancouver Lake Half Marathon
You killed it!

You are still young, come retire in Portland.

2011-01-31 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3329188

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: CCRC Vancouver Lake Half Marathon
Huge PR Dave...smoking fast too!  Congrats...that's awesome!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CCRC Vancouver Lake Half Marathon Rss Feed