General Discussion Race Reports! » Connemaragh Health Systems Johnstown YMCA Triathlo Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Connemaragh Health Systems Johnstown YMCA Triathlo - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log
Johnstown, PA
United States
Johnstown YMCA
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 15m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drive from Pittsburgh to Johnstown, find the Y, sign in, get my race packet. Had the sickening realization that I had forgot my race belt..boo. Food was first on the agenda, went to Applebees and got some deliciously low-cal chicken fajitas. Back to the hotel, which had 2 double beds. Instead of sharing with a friend, I opted to sleep alone. And fie on my friend who texted me at 1:30 AM!!

Got up, checked out, ate continental breakfast, drove to the site, checked in, got marked, jumping jacks, short bike ride, stretch, nervous chater, sunscreen...race talk...
Event warmup:

nervous jumping, stretching, bike ride, stretching, kissed the boyfriend.
Swim
  • 6h 00m
  • 400 meters
  • 1h 30m / 100 meters
Comments:

Had a strong swim, ditched the flip turns after the first 200 in favor of extra breathing and counting aloud to people on-deck. My lane buddy was a guy and ridiculously in-shape minus my flabby girlieness. I still was second out of the pool to him, and had an overall solid swim. My exit left a little to be desired, but no time is given or taken for gracefullness. I wish I would have been able to warm up in the pool, but the woman in my spot in the lane took the full 10 minutes you are allowed.
What would you do differently?:

warmed up.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Had an unusually good TI because I wasn't losing clothing, I was adding. I simply exited the swim, yanked the goggles and cap off before even leaving the building, sprinted across the parking lot (ouch, by the way) Found my bike with no prob. Threw on my cycling cap and scarfed a cliff bar, got the socks and bike shoes on without fail, got the gloves and helmet on without incident, and with a yell I was gone like a bat outta hell.

Not a damn thing.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 35 kms
  • 0.00 km/hr
Comments:

I don't know what happened, maybe I had an unusually good swim and transition, but I didn't see a SOUL the whole time I was out there, save for the little punk who passed me coming into town (i'm going to find you...) and the lady on the mountain bike I passed on the first real hill. Traffic was calm, temperature was great, markings were excellent. There is, however, the issue of one particular hill. It starts with a sweet downhill out of the gorge and over a bridge- sharp climb up the bridge. Then there are some little grades, and then just one, huge, monstrous, long, climb. I chose the sit and spin route, and made it up without pushing, unline last year which sucked pretty bad for the ol' ego. After the hill though, I got a 2nd wind and threw it into the hardest gear and started moving. I swear to god this was the best 21 miles i've ever done. I felt strong, solid, and i wasn't sucking wind.

Harder gear up the long murderous hill.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Had a good T2 as well. If there was one thing I did well on this day, it was the transitions! My bike shoes come off easy, even though they're laced. I kept them on until I got into the T, and ran with them on (mountain shoes with SPD cleats). Found my spot with a little help in location by my thankfully red-headed boyfriend, felt bad that I squashed my neighbor's cliff bar in my sloppy run.

Not stepped on my neighbor's cliff bar...hope he didn't eat it later.
Run
  • 00m
  • 5 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

I suck at running. I had a bit of cramping in my stomach, my legs felt OK, shoulders were SUPER tight, strides sucked. I hate running.

Run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Due to my diabetes, I felt like crap. i have to keep the pump on, and not eat a cliff bar. My blood sugar was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up, 450+. I felt good overall, except that my eyesite was weird...everything seemed to be "white ing out" instead of "blacking" out, like when you play with the contrast filter in Photoshop. According to the wonderful medics there, my pulse rate was really high, even after I took a shower and had water and took a shot of insulin and what have you.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

High blood sugar.

Event comments:

Great for those of us just starting out. It was a good race for beginners, but there's enough challenge in it for those who are more serious. Everyone is really supportive..volunteers, racers, townsfolk.

Last updated: 2005-08-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
06:00:00 | 400 meters | 1h 30m / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: regular swim suit, Orca Tri shorts
Course: Indoor pool, 2 people per lane, split lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:00:00 | 35 kms | 0.00 km/hr
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Not really hilly per-say, but there was some grading, out and back loop, through the industrial section, then through a beautiful gorge, and then through a residential section into downtown Johnstown...great people on the course too! I love this course, I love it long time.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 05 kms |  min/km
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat as a pancake, out and back, through the residential part of Johnstown.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-10 8:46 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Subject: Connemaragh Health Systems Johnstown YMCA Triathlo
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Connemaragh Health Systems Johnstown YMCA Triathlo Rss Feed