NW Running League
43F / 6C
Precipitation
Total Time = 29m 5s
Overall Rank = 42/105
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/7
Pre-race routine:

Arrived with plenty of time to spare, picked up the race packet and attached my timing chip. I ran into a woman I knew from a couple of tri's last year, so we chatted briefly.
Event warmup:

I basically just jogged around for about 7-8 minutes prior to the start.
Run
  • 29m 5s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

The 5K and 10K followed the same out and back course but the 10K people just went further before their turn-around. Because of this, it was pretty crowded until things spread out. I knew what pace I wanted to maintain and my plan was to stick to it until the turn around where I allowed myself to go faster if I was feeling good. I passed a LOT of people as we approached the half-way point. The return trip, I tried to focus on even breathing and keeping my feet fast and light. My HR was definitely getting up there by the end. I admit to watching everyone ahead of me (after the turn around) and since I didn't know ages, in my mind, my goal was to not let anyone larger than me to beat me. There was one woman who was about my size or a bit bigger ahead of me, so she was my rabbit. I'm happy to report that I was able to pass her about 50y from the finish line! Unfortunately, I forgot to stop my own watch until they were cutting the timing chip off my shoe. As it turns out, they didn't get an official time for me at all! I got contacted by the race director this evening - my chip registered a start, but no finish time. By looking at the list of finishers, I was actually able to figure it out. A couple was having some issues at the finish line and I remember passing them as I came in. I was right behind one girl, in front of another and all three of us were in front of the couple. That means my time was between 29:03 and 29:08 (the finish times of the two other women). So I am guessing my time at 29:05! Not bad for a slow girl!
What would you do differently?:

I felt damn close to totally spent by the end. I did sprint to the finish a bit and I'm sure I could have sprinted faster had it been required of me ;-). I did feel like at my pace (prior to the sprint) I could have gone further, so that makes me feel pretty confident. I do think that I need to step up the intensity of my training runs though. Enough LSD...now I need some tempo!
Post race
Warm down:

I mostly walked around a bit and then found my friends husband to chat with him as we waited for her to finish (she ran the 10K). I waited to see the posted results but they only posted 1-40 before I had to leave. I'm glad I didn't wait any longer as I wouldn't have seen my time anyway!

Event comments:

I'm a little disappointed by the lack of official time, but overall it was a well run event.

Last updated: 2011-01-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:05 | 03.11 miles | 09m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 42/105
Performance: Good
Course: The course was nice. Mostly flat with a few rises here and there. It was all paved and wet with only a few small puddles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-02-05 10:45 PM

User image

Master
PNW
Subject: Resolution Run

2011-02-06 7:14 AM
in reply to: #3341156

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: RE: Resolution Run
Looks like you had a great run!  Good effort!  Sucks about the timing chip issue but cool you could figure it all out!
2011-02-06 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3341156

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Resolution Run
Nice effort! 
That timing chip thing stinks....sounds like you have a good estimate on your time though.

Congrats on an AG podium!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Resolution Run Rss Feed