TBF Racing
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 48m 9s
Overall Rank = 40/77
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 10/16
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, ate a banana, an apple and some granola bar thing on the way over to the race. I was there pretty early, got set up on the end of a rack, and picked up registration. Getting ready and setting up transition was a breeze since there's no swimming! Just a pair of shoes, and my helmet. Seemed too easy. I ran out of HEED last week, and didn't get any ordered yet, so I decided to just use Gatorade for the day.
Event warmup:

I wore my Zoot's with thin socks, and jogged easy for about 10-15 minutes before the race. Hit the potties about 5 times this morning too, I do not recommend a large Chineese food dinner the night before a race...
Run
  • 17m 30s
  • 2.1 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to run around an 8:15 pace, and see how it went. About 1/4 mile into the run, I noticed I was at about 7:30, and pushing 170bpm (my LT is 165...). oops, a little caught up in the moment of competition! I slowed it down and came through the first mile right at 8:10 and feeling good. There were some little hills, but they were a bit steeper than I expected and I slowed a bit on the second mile. I did not sprint it into transition, just ran steady and came in with a second mile of 8:30, with my HR just under my LT. overall, I averaged 163bpm, with a high of 170 just after the start.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe push a little harder up the 'hills'? Not sure though, I think I ran it pretty well.
Transition 1
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

I was pretty winded from the run, just tried to stay calm and smooth. I was wearing thin gloves already from the start which made it a tiny bit harder to fasten the velcro on my shoes, but not a problem. Overall it was a smooth and pretty quick transition. Helmet on, shoes off, shoes on, GO! This time is from my watch, I can't really say how accurate it is, or if I hit the lap button a little early, or late on either end of the transition, I just don't remember.

nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 11s
  • 12.27 miles
  • 10.49 mile/hr
Comments:

Fun! I rode pretty conservatively, in the sense that I never felt close to crashing at any time. I'm pretty strong on the technical skills, so that's where I'd make up my time on people I was following. I did make one wrong turn near the end, when I accidentally followed someone who was warming up for the mtb race that was starting after our race finished. Probably cost me less than 30 seconds, but one person did pass me here.

average HR for the bike was 152bpm, with a max of 162bpm. Good solid effort for me.

fueling!!! I'm used to HEED, I like it, and it works. I ran out last week and I didn't have a chance to get any, so I just used Gatorade in my water bottle that I bought on the way to the race. Horrible! It was nasty, made my mouth feel all chalky, and I actually threw up a little in my mouth at one point... Because of the bad taste I didn't drink nearly what I should have, only about 1/2 bottle for the whole ride. Not doing that again. Since it's such a short overall race I don't think this really affected my outcome, as I felt strong the whole way. Still a stupid thing to do though (trying a drink I've not used during training).

oh, and not follow someone off the course... doh!
Transition 2
  • 00m 15s
Comments:

I don't specifically recall, but I'm guessing I hit the lap button a little late here, as 15 seconds seems awfully fast for T2! It was a quick one though, just rack the bike, dump the helmet and swap shoes (velcro only mtb shoes, and Zoot's with elastic laces so they are both quick). I wore my race belt the whole way, so I never had to put that on.

nothing.
Run
  • 19m 24s
  • 2.15 miles
  • 09m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Right off the bike my legs were hurting a bit. For the first mile I was struggling to keep my legs turning over quick, and my first mile split was 9:17 with a 152bpm HR. I could tell my HR was a bit low, I tried to up the pace but just had a real hard time getting my legs to generate the power. Just outrunning my cycling fitness I guess...

Around the second mile, right when the little 'hills' started appearing, my legs started to come around a bit better. Maybe it was the hills themselves, forcing a bit of a different muscle set to be used, or maybe it just took a mile to loosen up again, but I felt much better on the second mile. I was able to get the HR up, and my pace down. my second mile split was 9:00 with a 155bpm HR. Still had a little HR left, but no legs... I sprinted to the line, felt good, and ALMOST got under 9 minute miles, but not quite.

tough to say on a run this short. I think I did fine, not sure if there's anything I can do to get my legs to come around any quicker.
Post race
Warm down:

walking around, eating and drinking a little bit. I felt fine, except for the God awful taste that was still in my mouth from the stupid Gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just gotta keep getting in the miles!

Event comments:

I'll be back.

Last updated: 2011-01-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:30 | 02.1 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/77
Performance:
Course: mostly flat, some surprising little hills at the start of the second mile.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 00:49
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
01:10:11 | 12.27 miles | 10.49 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: fun course, mostly singletrack, a few short road connectors, a few mudholes, and 5-6 short rocky technical bits. A few short hills, but nothing too tough.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:15
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:24 | 02.15 miles | 09m 01s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: same as first 2 miles.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-02-07 1:01 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Chanoko Mountain Bike Duathlon #2

2011-02-07 7:21 AM
in reply to: #3342427

User image

Sunderland
Subject: RE: Chanoko Mountain Bike Duathlon #2
It looks like you had a great race. Congrats.
2011-02-07 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Really solid job - you have inspired me to check out HEED. What is your regiment with it?  Again - well done, those legs did wake up in the end!
2011-02-07 6:38 PM

User image

New user

Greenville, SC
Great race! Keep up the good work.
2011-02-07 7:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran