General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-09 8:45 PM

Subject: Newbie
Just signed up for the Gateway to the Bay sprint on Saturday.  Nothing like a little fear of drowning to get you motivated to train.  This will be my first of hopefully many Tri's.  

P.S.  How long does it take for your family to stop thinking you are crazy?

Edited by TMay 2011-02-09 8:49 PM

2011-02-10 6:28 AM
in reply to: #3348013

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Newbie
Hahaha they'll stop thinking that. I'm the RD for Gateway (now called the Kemah Tri). Thanks for signing up! You're going to have a blast! If you have any questions about the race you can email me at [email protected] or 832-334-6362. Since it's your first one I'd be sure to make sure you make the clinic I'll be hosting at Houston Cycling Centres in March and also the pre race onsite clinic in Kemah the weekend before the race! Have fun training!
2011-02-10 12:05 PM
in reply to: #3348221

Thank you for the advice.  I need all I can get.  I will be sure to make the clinics.
2011-02-14 3:53 PM

User image

At the end of your first tri, when you are smiling and say, "That was FUN! I want to do it again!" your family will stop thinking you are crazy.

After that, they will KNOW you are crazy!

Cool

Edited by GregInAustin 2011-02-14 3:53 PM
2011-02-15 5:56 AM

User image

Tyler,
TMay - 2011-02-09 8:45 PM Just signed up for the Gateway to the Bay sprint on Saturday.  Nothing like a little fear of drowning to get you motivated to train.  This will be my first of hopefully many Tri's.  

P.S.  How long does it take for your family to stop thinking you are crazy?

Ummm...they never stop thinking that. You will have a good time at the Kemah Triathlon.
2011-02-15 7:00 AM
in reply to: #3355505

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
I'm with Ritter on this one.  My family still thinks I'm nuts.  My wife thought I was crazy when I did my first sprint three years ago.  She then thought I was more nuts to do an olympic... then it was a half Ironman... and then it was an Ironman last year.  This year I'm registered for an Ironman, three half Ironman, two olympics and one sprint.  It just gets nuttier as you go.

2011-02-15 12:10 PM
in reply to: #3355546

GMAN 19030 - 2011-02-15 7:00 AM I'm with Ritter on this one.  My family still thinks I'm nuts.  My wife thought I was crazy when I did my first sprint three years ago.  She then thought I was more nuts to do an olympic... then it was a half Ironman... and then it was an Ironman last year.  This year I'm registered for an Ironman, three half Ironman, two olympics and one sprint.  It just gets nuttier as you go.

Wow.  I hope I am able to do half of that schedule in three years.  Excitment/anxiety is building.  Training as hard as my body will let me.  Just downloaded the USA Triathlon rule book yesterday.......I had no idea.  Hopefully I can avoid the 'disqualification' penalties.
2011-02-15 8:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston/Richmond area

Last year was my first year doing Tri's and Gateway (now Kemah) was my first triathon. One year later I am doing the Olympic and my wife thinks I am nuttier this year than last. Welcome to the world of Triathlon. Tongue out

2011-02-15 9:03 PM
in reply to: #3356257

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
TMay - 2011-02-15 12:10 PM

Wow.  I hope I am able to do half of that schedule in three years.  Excitment/anxiety is building.  Training as hard as my body will let me.  Just downloaded the USA Triathlon rule book yesterday.......I had no idea.  Hopefully I can avoid the 'disqualification' penalties.

Don't concern yourself with the rules.  I'm not saying not to follow them but don't get bogged down in the minutia.  Just read your athlete guide for each race and maybe attend an athlete meeting.  You'll be fine.

I would strongly suggest finding a reputable training plan to follow.  That can take a lot of the guesswork out of training.  Some people may suggest hiring a coach.  Don't.  Bad advice.  Not that it wouldn't help but you're not at that stage yet.  Give it time.  By coach I mean a tri coach.  If you can't swim then by all means take some swim lessons.
2011-02-17 6:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston

TMay..welcome to the world of triathlon!!

you will have a blast at kemah..i would be there but i know i am working Frown

a few things about this wonderful sport...(not sure about your background...im assuming you are new to it all as i was)

-as was posted before, follow a training plan..there are some very good one's here on BT...i highly reccomend one with the "detailed workouts"...if im not mistaken, i think you have to be a silver member or above to get those...

-swim as much as you can to get used to the water, and when 288 Lake warms up head on down(if you live in the houston area) and do some open water swims...a few open water swims will go a long way...check this forum for times when groups head down there...

-as for the bike...well it kinda speaks for itself..spending time in the saddle is the best way to become a better cyclist

-as for the run...slow and steady builds a good "base"...being fast in training means nothing..you can throw in a few intervals here and there(this is where the detailed training plans are very effective..they pretty much tell you exactly what to do) i never swam nor cycled but i have pretty much did some running in the past but i did not know how important it was to build a good base for these endurance races...sounds to me like you are just like everyone else and want to keep moving up in distances..so building a good base and doing it right will take you a long way...

dont hesitate to ask questions about anything here..you will get many responses and most people on here were in the same position you are in now and we all learned alot from this site....

most of all....HAVE FUN!

hope to see you out there some day!

oh yea....they will always think you are crazy!...invite them to every race you do..they will love it!

good luck!

Jb

2011-02-17 8:34 PM
in reply to: #3360813

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
jasonwb - 2011-02-17 6:43 PM

-as for the bike...well it kinda speaks for itself..spending time in the saddle is the best way to become a better cyclist

Spending "quality" time in the saddle is the best way to become a better cyclist.  Tooling around at Z1/Z2 doesn't do much for you.  It's better than nothing but it won't make you better.

I know he's just getting started but I'm a firm believer in metric analysis when it comes to cycling.  It's the hardest of the three sports to gauge perceived effort because the elements/course profile throw a ton of variables into the mix, IMO.

I'm not saying a newbie should go out and buy a $2,000 power meter (although it is by far the best tool for bike training/racing if used properly).  A computer with cadence and heart rate is not that expensive and provides a better measuring stick than a computer that only measures speed.  Speed is way too dependent on factors outside the riders control (wind, elevation, temperature).  Pacing yourself on speed alone can be disastrous.  Riding 20mph in a calm wind on a flat course is far different than 20mph in a 15mph headwind or 20mph on rolling hills.  Cadence and heart rate also have a ton of variables to deal with but gives you a better gauge on perceived effort.  The ultimate is a power meter. There's more or less nothing variable in a watt.  Knowing your threshold power (FTP) number and the percentage of FTP to train and race with is invaluable and takes away a lot of the guesswork of "How am I doing?"

2011-02-18 2:01 PM

Thank you all for the advice.  I really do appreciate your input.  I am taking every bit of it in.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie Rss Feed