General Discussion Race Reports! » Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bossier City, Louisiana
United States
Sportspectrum
90F / 32C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 06m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 13/25
Pre-race routine:

Got up and took my endurolytes, along with an exedrine and ate some fig newtons washed down with powerade.
Event warmup:

Walked around and sorta-stretched. Swam about 100 yds.
Swim
  • 22m 6s
  • 875 yards
  • 02m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

My goggles leaked, and while not debilitating, was annoying as hell. On the back half a guy in a white cap yelled, "C'mon Kathy, let's go." I have no idea who it was, but it helped. Some breast stroke and side stroke was necessary. Wasn't tired at all when I got out.
What would you do differently?:

Seat my goggles better. Concentrate on a smoother stroke.
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

Slow! Couldn't get my shoes on. I should've taken advantage of the short run with the bike, got caught up with guys coming back from the bike trying to go the wrong way. Someone was cussin' up a blue streak when they made him go around. He pushed his bike into mine screaming, "F*ck this!"

Practice!
Bike
  • 59m 38s
  • 18.2 miles
  • 18.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Good bike ride, could've gone harder, but my goal was to break one hour.

Gone a little harder
Transition 2
  • 04m 2s
Comments:

Slow-Had to go all the way around to rack my bike. Stomach started hurting and wanted to throw up. Took too long to get my socks on.

Practice! Got to get faster--this is where I can shave some time!
Run
  • 37m 20s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m  min/mile
Comments:

No water at the second water station--no wet towels either. It sucks to be in the last wave. Stomach acting up until the last mile. Did a run shuffle thing.

Drink more on the bike
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, packed up transition

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Slow transitions and not enough hydration on the bike

Event comments:

Got in on Friday and went to pick up my packet. No lines! Nice swag. Did chores for mom on Saturday, and ate at Monjunies early. Went to bed around 9:00.

Didn't sleep terribly well. Got up and ate a little and loaded up my bike and pack. Got Jennifer up and we drove over to pick up my friend Lisa who wanted to watch with Jennifer. I ended up driving even thought I knew I was going to freak out if we hit traffic...which we did on the road going into the Park. It was so backed up they had to delay the start. We parked and I got my stuff and we walked to transition. While I was getting set up, that Toby Keith song was playing, "I wanna talk about me." I got marked in a jiffy and rehearsed the transition route. I was on the outside about 5 racks to the run exit. Lisa and Jennifer scouted out the park's restrooms and said it was an unpleasant experience, so I opted for the porta potties.

Went down to the beach and swam a bit. Water was warm, but only mid-arm visability. The route looked shorter than 900 yds, but my time ended up about right, so I guess it was on. I waited and waited for my wave. Talked to Lisa Welborn, who was a sales person when I worked at the FOX affiliate in Shreveport. Her husband Jeff, was the transition direstor.

Finally the cannon went off for my wave. My goggles leaked, and it sorely annoyed me. One again I had to catch my breath with a little sidestroke and breast stroke. At some point, a guy in a white cap yelled, "Come on Kathy, let's go." I have no idea who it was. I was fine getting out of the water, so I guess I could've gone harder.

T1 was slow. hard time getting my shoes on. Too mush congestion trying to get out on the bike. One guy pushed into my bike. It would've been good if they'd told people in the pre race announcements that they would have to go all the way around--that the transition area was one way.

The bike was good. I came in under an hour, which was my goal. The bottle that had the powerade in it was too hard to drink out of. Too much air and not enough drink. When I was in T2, I thought I was going to throw up. Jennifer was standing outside transition at the end of my rack telling me to drink bluedrink, but I kept saying I was going to be sick. The run went badly. I had to walk and shuffle. I didn't start feeling right until about 2 miles into it. And I was some kind of pissed when the 2nd water station had no water. Saw Jennifer and Lisa as I was turning into the chute. It was a sorry run.

I really wanted to break 2 hours, and since I could easily find 6 minutes to cut on this race, I was kind of disappointed. It was pretty well run, though. I'd like to do it again. The other disappointment was not getting to meet any BT folks. I was too scattered raceday, and too many obligations on Saturday to meet up at the prearranged times.

Last updated: 2005-08-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:06 | 875 yards | 02m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Javelin 2 piece
Course: Triangle out, around and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:06
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:59:38 | 18.2 miles | 18.31 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills. No terrible climbs
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:02
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:37:20 | 03.11 miles | 12m  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat--one trail section
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-10 3:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta
Subject: Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon

2005-08-10 4:15 PM
in reply to: #221974

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon
Nice race, nice report, Kathy. Wasn't that a fun race? Sorry you were denied the pleasure of meeting us, maybe next year? 
2005-08-10 7:07 PM

Elite Veteran
Great job on a tough course!

If I'd witnessed the poor sportsmanship as you headed out on the bike, I sure would have stopped and yelled at the guy. Completely understandable that the poor attitude you witnessed took a little focus off of your own race.

Do you have any more races planned this year?
2005-08-10 8:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta
It was a lot of fun and I'd like to do it again next year. I forgot how well Sportspectrum does with their events. Maybe next time I can actually meet up with you guys. I lived in Shreveport for about 10 years, and I don't get back that often, so I always have tons of stuff to take care of.

I was going to do one more race this year, but I missed the early registration and the price bump has made it tough for me to justify. I'll probably do a couple of organized bike rides though, and a couple of road races. John, there was a Cajun Century thing I used to do about 10 years ago around Lafayette. Nice and flat. Is Pack and Paddle still in business? They used to be the only real bike shop in Lafayette.

When I lived in Alexandria I rode with the Kisatche Bike Club. It was a great way to learn to ride in a pack.

Sorry, just getting a little homesick for LA. I'm back in Atlanta, and back at work and I truly miss being able to roll out my door onto country roads with no traffic.

2005-08-10 9:20 PM
in reply to: #222287

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

chop - 2005-08-10 7:58 PMI'll probably do a couple of organized bike rides though, and a couple of road races. John, there was a Cajun Century thing I used to do about 10 years ago around Lafayette. Nice and flat. Is Pack and Paddle still in business? They used to be the only real bike shop in Lafayette.

Pack and Paddle is still in business, best outdoors outfitter in town still, unfortunately they haven't handles bicycles in nearly ten years. We do have a couple decent bike shops here now, even have a FIST-certified tri-bike fitter.

Cajun Cyclists still put on a fall century, this year it's October 15. Don't forget we have a local double century on September 24. We have quite a few folks that say they will ride the second hundred with us.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon Rss Feed