Kathy Loper Events
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 07m 30s
Overall Rank = 1056/1665
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 39/68
Pre-race routine:

Up before the alarm and ate a piece of toast with PBJ and banana and some dry cereal, had some tea, allowed myself the Tulsi tea which has a bit of caffeine. Got there early to get good parking and was able to secure a spot near the start/finish line. Walked up to get my t-shirt and goodie bag (not much in it except paper promoting other races and one sleeve of bloks). Saw some acquaintances right away and hung out with them, then ran into several other people I knew.
Event warmup:

Walked to the t-shirt table which was up a trail and hills, so that was a good warm up for calves and quads. Stretched my dynamic warm-up and waited until the crowd thinned then took off.
Run
  • 2h 07m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Started with 3 layers of shirts, took off one right away, then the other and kept my short sleeve shirt on. Took the run in 3, 4-mile segments and then the last 1.1. First 4 I came out fairly strong but didn't push the pace, just wanted to get my legs under me. Second 4 were strong and firm and the last were pretty kicking. I was able to kick it up a notch and passed quite a few people in mile 8 to 11 or so. The last mile was tougher and I just kept putting one foot in front of the other. I hadn't really run all that much since the last 1/2 I did 3 weeks ago so I was pretty happy to have run this strongly.

I did see several people I used to run with at the WCRR. Nice people, too. Also, a guy came up and asked me where the turnaround was and so we started chatting. It always helps to have a little conversation in there because it makes the time fly.

I did have my metal and motion traxx mix to help me with the run. I have to say I'm thankful my son likes Iron Maiden and Judas Priest because they really have some killer songs to run to. I just don't like the ones where they're screaming. Funny, I was never a metalhead when I was younger, but now I'm a 50-year old mom who likes Iron Maiden, go figure!
What would you do differently?:

Not much.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and went back to cheer for a few friends. Got some water and there was only one orange slice left. Wasn't so into having a banana but they were plentiful. Stretched pretty well before hopping in the car. Drank my chocolate soymilk in the car and stopped at Starbucks for the potty and an iced green tea then went to the ocean to numb my legs. It wasn't nearly as cold as I thought it would be. Got home and iced my back/butt, had a bit of the leftover lentil soup, an egg with hummus and no yolk and some tea. Also did a nice 15 minute or so stretching routine that consisted of pidgeon, mermaid, happy baby and the one where you put your legs over your head and stretch out back/hammies.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This wasn't about speed. It was about pacing and nutrition.

Speaking of which, I ate 2 margarita bloks at mile 5 or 6. Had a few sips of water at 3 or 4 of the aid stations, but kept moving. Had 1/2 a powerbar gel at mile 9ish and the rest at 11. It was more liquid and they've changed the label, must have changed the formula somewhat as well.

Okay, I did keep messing with my race belt and fuel belt some and that might have limited my ability to perform faster.

Event comments:

The only reason I rate this race average is because they ran out of oranges at the end and it started a bit late (but just 6 minutes). I think they might have had other food at the top of the hill where they hand out the awards, but since I parked in the lower area, I didn't need to go up there, plus I'm not very hungry after a race, or at least not right away.

I do love this course. The Hash House Harriers sponsor it and they have beer and sangria at several stations, plus the "queen" is there at 1.5 miles out and 11.5 miles back, dressed up holding British flag and waving the parade wave with two little electronic dogs on leashes. All part of the hilarity that can be a 1/2 marathon, especially when put on by the Hash House Harriers, who bill themselves as drinkers with a running problem.

Last updated: 2011-02-12 12:00 AM
Running
02:07:30 | 13.1 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/68
Overall: 0/1665
Performance: Good
My time from the race was 2:09, but it was the same as the gun time, which isn't correct. Plus, they don't have any of my splits, but come to think of it there weren't any timing mats anywhere but the start and finish. Not sure why mine was the same but others were different. Doesn't seem like a level playing field, but hey, it was a training run and I ran better than I did last year by 4 minutes.
Course: Chilly start in a tree lined winding and hilly road to start. This course goes up and up a long stretch of hilly road lined by palatial estates. I guess the singer Jewel used to live out there as well as Dick Enberg and other notables. Lots of tall eucalyptus trees and white fencing, long tree lined roads and gated properties.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes