Big River Running
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 42m 10s
Overall Rank = 394/637
Age Group = 45-49F
Age Group Rank = 20/39
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 7am to get some breakfast and make sure my DD got off to her ACT test on time. Had some oatmeal and water then gathered my stuff together for the race. Took my time getting ready - the race started at the college where I work so I knew it would only take me about 15-20 minutes to get there. It also helped that I know where all the bathrooms are in the other buildings so I didn't have to wait in the long line:).
Event warmup:

No real warm-up - just walking around waiting for the start.
Run
  • 42m 10s
  • 4 miles
  • 10m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I really liked this race. The course was nice, although a little crowded when we got to the path thru the park. Big River had gone through the day before and cleared all the snow so it was pretty clear, just a few slick spots here and there. Volunteers were at all the slick spots to warn us to be careful. There were a couple of hills, including one that I've run several times in the past couple of years (2 other races use a similar course) and always have trouble on. This time I was able to run up the whole thing. It was slow, but I made it up.

One of the nice things about this race was the "sub-races". They had someone dressed as Cupid and anyone over 21 who finished the race before him got a bottle of wine. I wasn't anywhere near fast enough for that - in fact, I didn't even see him until the end of the race - so no wine for me. They also had a couple's race. The couple with the fastest combined time won a night in a local B&B.

I finished pretty well, got my chocolate finisher's "medal" and headed inside.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe start a little farther up so I could avoid some of the bottlenecks on the park path. Other than that, it was a good run for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Headed inside for cookies/bagels/gatorade/water/hot chocolate. Waited to see my official time, then headed home.

Event comments:

There were a lot more people there than I expected for a first time race, especially in February, but Big River did a good job overall.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-01-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:42:10 | 04 miles | 10m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/39
Overall: 394/637
Performance: Good
Course: Nice course. Started at the college, went through a small neighborhood, then through Legacy park and back around to the college.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-02-13 6:55 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: Truffle Shuffle

2011-02-13 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3353189

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: RE: Truffle Shuffle
Great job on your run!!  I wish all races would end in chocolate!
2011-02-13 8:22 PM

User image

New user
Portland, OR
Sounds like fun!  Congrats on a great race!
2011-02-13 9:13 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Sounds like a very fun race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Truffle Shuffle Rss Feed