General Discussion Race Reports! » Milton Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Milton Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Milton, Ontario
Canada
Trisport Canada
64F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 57m 25s
Overall Rank = 229/569
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 43/79
Pre-race routine:

Nothing much, I slowly ate a breakfast Pita on the drive to the race, and had a banana once I was there, but my nerves were kicking in and I dind't have much of an appetite.
Event warmup:

Went for a small jog about 45 minutes before the race, and did a short swim to get used tot he wetsuit again.
Swim
  • 17m 37s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 21s / 100 meters
Comments:

Because the weather was so cold outside, the water felt quite warm. Considering it was freezing last year, I wasn't about to complain. Because the conditions were so windy the water had some chop to it, especially the last 200M.

I seeded myself near the front and to the outside, hoping to miss some of the washing machine effect, but not fall too far back right at the beginning. Unfortunately, things didn't work out so well and I got beat up quite a bit until the field started to thin out.

I hadn't gotten out in the wetsuit since last year, and I forgot that it takes more effort since the rubber does restrict you a bit, which means I was starting to fatigue about 1/2 way through the swim. NOt much you can do at that point, exept tough it out and keep going.

The last 200M was painful, as I got caught by the wave behind me, and the water conditions were at their worst heading back to shore. Needless to say it took a lot longer than I wanted. But considering the conditions I'm not going to lose sleep over it. The goal this year is to be able to get down to a 2:00min pace in open water similiar to what I can do in the pool.
What would you do differently?:

Do a few OWS in the wetsuit prior to the first race of the year.
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

First time having the shoes clipped into the bike, and I had practised this the day before. I don't know if I'd do this again at Milton because the trnasition area is a parking lot with a lot of pebbles meaning I ran a little slower than people who took the time to put their shoes on. I took longer in transition because I chose to wear a wind vest on the bike leg because it was so cold. I happily gave up some time to do this.
What would you do differently?:

Not much
Bike
  • 59m 55s
  • 30 kms
  • 30.04 km/hr
Comments:

This is where the race kind of fell apart. I don't bother checking my swim time after I gte out of the water, since I shouldn't lose more than a couple of minutes in the worst case scenario - however, you can lose all sorts of time on the bike (which I did).

Within the first 5km you hit 6th line hill, 1.3km at about 10% grade. At 6' and 160lbs I'm pretty light and going up hills is typically where I can pass people (going down, not so much). Unfortunately, this hill turned into a disaster, because I discovered very quickly that I had no legs. I was pushing a small gear, but struggling to get my legs to go round. Normally mu HR spikes on this hill because I push my pace and keep the cadence high - this time, I was struggling to maintain 37 rpms. I was not a happy camper and considered getting off the bike, turning around and heading back to transition.

Fortunately, I didn't quit, even though I watched helplessly as masses of people passed me up that hill - the people I was supposed to pass!! Anyway, my legs got me through the bike leg, but not the way I intended.

One of the key things I realized after my ride, was that I was paying much attention to my Garmin or iBike - both which would have told to me push harder (if I could have). My power was way below what it should have been, and my HR looked like a flat line for the whole bike leg.

Things didn't go well, but there was always the run left.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

As soon as I got off the bike, I realized that the legs were not likely going to cooperate for the run.
Run
  • 36m 10s
  • 7.5 kms
  • 04m 49s  min/km
Comments:

The run did not start as planned. I went out running well over 5:00min/km for the first 3 km and the legs and stomach wouldn't cooperate. Luckily the legs came back for the downhill portion on the way back, and I made up some places. But this seems to always be the case - I need to try and make up what I've lost on the swim and run.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing really, just found the food tent and walked around a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm not sure if the swim took me out of me that expected, but I just didn't have the legs for the bike, and then ran into more issues (stomach and legs) on the run.

Hopefully I'll figure this out before Guelph in 3 weeks.

Event comments:

Even though I didn't get the result I was hoping for + the fact I had some issues on the day, I still really liked the race. Great participation, tough but fair course.

They just need to order some warmer weather.

Last updated: 2009-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:37 | 750 meters | 02m 21s / 100meters
Age Group: 54/79
Overall: 357/569
Performance: Below average
Suit: Nineteen Pipeline
Course: Semi square/triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:23
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:59:55 | 30 kms | 30.04 km/hr
Age Group: 52/79
Overall: 261/569
Avg HR 166
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back for the most part, with a square loop after around 12km.
Road:  Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:36:10 | 07.5 kms | 04m 49s  min/km
Age Group: 36/79
Overall: 199/569
Course: Run uphill for just over 3km and then back the opposite direction. Very difficult first 2km as you really have to gut out the run after getting off the bike.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes