General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2011-11-23 5:10 PM
in reply to: #3913552

User image

Veteran
Belize
Subject: RE: Not going to Cozumel

Thanks Lea. Ironman Cozumel will still be my first Ironman, just not this year. I will do it next year for sure. My friend Jim will also do the race with me and it will also be first Ironman for him. He's the one in my profile pic running behind me at Cancun with the Belize flag and cowboy hat. He's going to turn 50 on race day next year so it's a big deal for him. It might turn out to be a race between us to see who becomes Ironman first.

2011-11-23 7:13 PM
in reply to: #3913536

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
David_Zen - 2011-11-23 4:03 PM

I'm not going.

Kathy, the water looks quite tempting. Very beautiful. I was really looking forward to that 2.4 mile swim on Sunday and also becoming the first person from my country to become an Ironman. Thanks for the travel info too. Unfortunately, I had to make a big decision last night to forgo Ironman Cozumel this year. I am pretty sure that Ironman Cozumel was going to be the craziest thing I have ever done but had I not decide to pull out last night it might have also been the most irresponsible thing I have ever done. I just don't think I will enjoy doing my first Ironman with a cloud of regret hanging over my head. I believe I made the best decision.

Anyway, I wish you all safe travels and best of luck on Sunday.

Well, you guys get the same waters down there, pretty much.  Glad you're making the best decision for yourself and see you next year in Coz!

2011-11-24 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3913684

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
packet pickup complete - now what....oh well a swim it is...
2011-11-27 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3363922

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Subject: RE: IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread

Good luck to everyone racing today! 

I did IM Couzmel in 2009 (the first year) and loved the race!  My husband is planning to go back again next year to race it, and I was wondering if anyone has stayed at the Park Royal Resort?

We stayed at the Melia Cozumel when we were down there- it was a great price and I was happy with the resort.  My only complaint was the food- it wasn't so great and we didn't have a large slection of places to eat on the resort.  And also, we are looking for something a little bit closer to downtown and the fnish area. 

I know that The Park Royal is closer than the Melia, which would be nice.  It's a toss up between that one and the Palace.  I hear you can't go wrong with the Palace since it's right in downtown and has excellent food but we are still deciding.  I'd love to hear from anyone who has stayed at the Park Royal and/or the Palace for comparison!

2011-11-27 12:34 PM
in reply to: #3916216

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
I was just thinking about how much fun I had at Cozumel last year.  I'll probably go back in 2013 but I'm in the process of trying to talk my wife into letting me do it next year.  It would be fun to see you and Jon there.
2011-11-28 12:29 PM

Thinking about this race next year.  Concerned about the swim.  I am not the strongest swimmer, which is why I usually prefer wetsuit races.  But I just DNF'd at IMAZ due to hypothermia coming out of the water!  So looking for a warm water swim.  It normally takes me 1hr45m to do the IM distance in a wetsuit.  I know I have a year to continue with the Masters group I recently joined.  How strong is the current down there? Do you swim with, or against, the current?  What do skinsuits do for you?

2011-11-28 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3917351

New user

Tri Fit - 2011-11-28 1:29 PM Thinking about this race next year.  Concerned about the swim.  I am not the strongest swimmer, which is why I usually prefer wetsuit races.  But I just DNF'd at IMAZ due to hypothermia coming out of the water!  So looking for a warm water swim.  It normally takes me 1hr45m to do the IM distance in a wetsuit.  I know I have a year to continue with the Masters group I recently joined.  How strong is the current down there? Do you swim with, or against, the current?  What do skinsuits do for you?

I did the 2010 race and I don't consider myself a strong swimmer at all.  I was terrified to swim without a wetsuit, but it was fine.  REALLY long, but fine.  I did a 1:43 swim, and was happy with that.  The current changes a bit, but you don't really notice it.. certainly not like the Beach 2 Battleship swim in North Carolina.  The amount of flotation you get from salt water is incredible, basically  like wearing a wetsuit.. and the water was 84 degrees so I'm not sure what you consider warm.  Skinsuits are not legal AFAIK, and I wouldn't bother...   It is an amazing swim, the visibility is incredible and you can see all sorts of wildlife.  Great race, would do it again in a heartbeat, even if it was INSANELY hot.

2011-11-28 3:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
For those who just completed IM Cozumel, CONGRATS!!!!
2011-11-29 9:04 AM
in reply to: #3916216

User image

Pro
Tejas
runnergirl - 2011-11-27 11:32 AM

Good luck to everyone racing today! 

I did IM Couzmel in 2009 (the first year) and loved the race!  My husband is planning to go back again next year to race it, and I was wondering if anyone has stayed at the Park Royal Resort?

We stayed at the Melia Cozumel when we were down there- it was a great price and I was happy with the resort.  My only complaint was the food- it wasn't so great and we didn't have a large slection of places to eat on the resort.  And also, we are looking for something a little bit closer to downtown and the fnish area. 

I know that The Park Royal is closer than the Melia, which would be nice.  It's a toss up between that one and the Palace.  I hear you can't go wrong with the Palace since it's right in downtown and has excellent food but we are still deciding.  I'd love to hear from anyone who has stayed at the Park Royal and/or the Palace for comparison!

We've enjoyed staying at the Fiesta Americana the last few years. It is kind of remote, about a mile north of Chankanaab, so that might not work for you. It is reminiscent of Cozumel in the 80s early 90s for me. Laid back and almost spooky quiet at night. The food is a cut above most food I've had in CZM and the grilled fish always excellent. The dinner menu might seem a bit limited though if you were to stay there more than 4-5 days. We've stayed there 7-8 times in the last 2 years and never gotten sick from the food. The service has always been excellent.
2011-11-30 1:37 AM

User image

Master
Just registered for 2012 race! Did IMAZ in 09 and 10. Took a year off from long distance and that's enough of that nonsense, time to get back to training for IM!IMCoz get ready for the Saxons...we are coming to town.
2011-11-30 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3917351

User image

Veteran
In T1 looking for my Schwinn Huffy

Tri Fit - 2011-11-28 12:29 PM Thinking about this race next year.  Concerned about the swim.  I am not the strongest swimmer, which is why I usually prefer wetsuit races.  But I just DNF'd at IMAZ due to hypothermia coming out of the water!  So looking for a warm water swim.  It normally takes me 1hr45m to do the IM distance in a wetsuit.  I know I have a year to continue with the Masters group I recently joined.  How strong is the current down there? Do you swim with, or against, the current?  What do skinsuits do for you?

The Cozumel swim is about as good as it gets...80+ degree water, 100% visibility (which really cuts down the contact and course navigtation concerns), plenty of salt water flotation (pretty much provides the bouyancy you'd get from a wetsuit anyways) and longest section (1.5 miles or so) is straight shot with the current.  Also, the starting line is very wide, so swimmers are already spread out at the start which really minimizes the contact at the start.  If you have any concerns about swimming, this really is a great course for you.

2011-11-30 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3920242

Chicago
LazyRiver - 2011-11-30 8:13 AM

Tri Fit - 2011-11-28 12:29 PM Thinking about this race next year.  Concerned about the swim.  I am not the strongest swimmer, which is why I usually prefer wetsuit races.  But I just DNF'd at IMAZ due to hypothermia coming out of the water!  So looking for a warm water swim.  It normally takes me 1hr45m to do the IM distance in a wetsuit.  I know I have a year to continue with the Masters group I recently joined.  How strong is the current down there? Do you swim with, or against, the current?  What do skinsuits do for you?

The Cozumel swim is about as good as it gets...80+ degree water, 100% visibility (which really cuts down the contact and course navigtation concerns), plenty of salt water flotation (pretty much provides the bouyancy you'd get from a wetsuit anyways) and longest section (1.5 miles or so) is straight shot with the current.  Also, the starting line is very wide, so swimmers are already spread out at the start which really minimizes the contact at the start.  If you have any concerns about swimming, this really is a great course for you.

I'd agree. The swim was surprisingly easy. I really slacked on my swim training and was really worried that I wasn't ready for 2.4 miles. But, it turned out to be, by far, the easiest part of the day. I felt as fresh getting out of the water as I did when I got out of bed. However, if we had the winds we've had down here the past couple days (I think they call this el Norte) it would be a completely different story.
2011-12-01 7:14 AM

User image

Regular
I loved this race. Tough, yes! But I really enjoyed it. I haven't done a BT race report yet, but I did put one on my blog.
2011-12-01 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3921643

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
LOVE reading race reports. thank you!
2011-12-01 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3921793

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
2012-10-13 8:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Is anyone doing IM Coz 2012 that happens to be looking for a roomate to share accommodations?

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 9