Canada
17C / 63F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 01m 1s
Overall Rank = 1198/3231
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:15. Had a shower and then went for about a 1/4 mile jog. Made a protein shake with strawberries, bananna, whey powder, milk and oats.
Was at site by 6:00am. Race starts at 7:00.
Event warmup:

Light jogging and stretching.
Run
  • 2h 01m 1s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Disapointed that I didn't break 2h, but pretty pleased regardless with my first 1/2 time. Legs felt great until mile 10 or so. Spent the first 10 chatting with lots of people that I knew from high school, university, and work. I actually knew quite a few people out there. The beer at mile 7 was about the best I've ever had in my life.
By 12 my legs were garbage. I couldn't sprint out the last mile without falling on my arse. At least I was able to run it in all the way.
What would you do differently?:

Find a better pace bunny, or just count on my own watch for timing. Really upset she didn't let us know waaay beforehand that she had fallen behind.
Post race
Warm down:

H20 and a popsicle, walked around behind the stadium for a bit. Didn't really stretch, just kept walking.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ran out of gas at the end. Maybe a power gel or bar or something at about mile 10 would have made a big difference. Maybe not?

Event comments:

Lots of fun and the people were really great there. The shuttle to and from the event could use some work, but otherwise it was really well coordinated. I shall definitely consider doing the full next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-02-01 12:00 AM
Running
02:01:01 | 13.1 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 1198/3231
Performance: Good
At about the 9 mile mark our pace bunny decides to tell us she's running behind pace. Ticked me right off. Headed off on my own, but still couldn't crack the 2h mark.
Course: Course was great. The temperature was good and the bugs weren't too bad. Needed more water stations on the 1st half, and would have been better if there were more tunes cranked up around the course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes