General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trek 1500 or Specialized Allez Elite? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-12 7:07 PM

Birmingham, AL
Subject: Trek 1500 or Specialized Allez Elite?
I'm looking to buy a bike very soon, not a tri specific bike, but a road bike. I'm between the Trek 1500 and the Specialized Allez Elite. I do sprint tris, so I would like to fit aero bars on it, but I also would like to do group rides around the area as well without them. Does anyone have a suggestion or own either of these that could comment. The components are almost the same as is the price. Thanks!

2005-08-12 9:56 PM
in reply to: #224377

User image

Expert
WA
Subject: RE: Trek 1500 or Specialized Allez Elite?
those are both great bikes.  i tried both of them when i was buying (i have the trek now).  basically, it's all down to fit.  if one of them fits you better, get that one. have the people in the LBS really fit you on both bikes, take them for for a spin (at least a mile) and see how they feel.  go with the better one.

if even that is the same, then i'd say it's a toss-up.  maybe whichever brand you jus tlike better.
2005-08-12 10:28 PM

User image

New user

Long Island NY
I bought the trek while on vacation haha. Kinda a spur of the moment thng. But about an hour after I bought it and with some hard thinking, I returned the bike so when i returned home i could shop around. I went to a local store, and looked at the allez elite, with its compact geo. it fit me better and gave me a better ride then the trek. I was ready to walk out the door with it, but my dad said were gunna keep lookin and we did just that. I went to another bike store and was lookin at the cannondale r700, definitly a nice bike and i wanted to walk out the door with that bike 2 lol. My guy at the shop told me to just take a look at this bike for a little more money and see what i thought. He brought out the giant tcr c3. I fell in love. Definitly the best carbon fiber bike for the money (around 1650). any way, between your 2 choices I loved the Allez so much more then the trek, i guess becuase of the compact geo becuase im short (5'4). But in general i thought it was a much smoother bike. Also i dont like the colors on the treck but that isnt that big of a deal. Both bikes are alu with carbon forks and seat tubes. But the allez like i said is a compact geo bike.
2005-08-15 1:49 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
I have the Trek 1500 with Aero bars on it, which work really well. I love the bike. Also, I got aero bars that fold up so I don't have to take them on and off.

However, they are both good bikes. You really need to go with the bike that fits you better. You won't know which one is for you until you ride them. That's the most important thing.
2005-08-15 2:41 PM

Birmingham, AL
Thanks for your replies. This weekend one of the LBSs had a sale on the specialized and the cannondale r700. The Trek would have been about $100 more, and honestly I didn't really like the shop that helped me out with the bike. It's amazing how even if it's a great bike, the way the people at the shop treat you can influence your decision! Anyway, thanks everyone, it was a really hard decision between those bikes but in the end I really liked the way the Allez dampened a lot of the road noise and it also handled a little quicker. I can't wait to get out and play on my shiny new red bike... sucks that it's raining today!
2005-08-15 6:08 PM
in reply to: #225729

User image

I got the Red Allez Elite in March of this year and I love it!  Happy riding to you!

2005-08-16 12:30 AM

User image

Orange County, CA
I was in the same boat about 2 months ago with the same 3 bikes but I have to say the Specialized was just calling my name, plus I love that RED! It just fit me better too. 2 weeks ago I added the Profile Design Aero Bars Carbon (Ironman) and I love it, I ride as much as possible now! Good Luck and enjoy I sure have been....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trek 1500 or Specialized Allez Elite? Rss Feed