Crisman Memorial Scholarship Fund
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 10h 00m
Overall Rank = 103/227
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Nice family-friendly event. Had not been through Amherst for quite some time but it was very quaint and looked like a place to complete some distance runs.
Event warmup:

Did some simple stretches and ran around the track twice (sorry - that is 2 x 400 in "runner's language" :-) Made sure my left hamstring was stretched.
Run
  • 25m 27s
  • 3.12 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran strong and felt good.I will have to put in some more miles in order to increase my time but I had a very good time at this race.
Post race
Event comments:

I first heard about the race while participating in Team In Training. Dave, one of the coaches, told me that he helps with a race in Amherst every August. He didn't offer any substantial details but said that the race was a good time and that I should come out if I was around. I saw the race on coolrunning.com months later and discovered that the race funds a scholarship for two Souhegan High students in memory of Kyle and Tim Crisman. The Crisman brothers were killed in an automobile accident in 2002. As we stood around the finish line, cheering and drinking our waters and sports drinks, Dave pointed out one runner as she approached. She had two balloons in her hands. Of course, the natural question is to ask is "why is that woman running with two balloons in her hands?" I am usually quick to make a sarcastic remark but for some reason I had the good sense to keep quiet (at least in this one case). It turns out that the woman was Kyle and Tim's mom. She runs the race every year. Out of respect, I watched in silence as she crossed the finish line. I thought to myself that the next time someone asks me to define a runner or the next time I am struggling to understand what constitutes a "real" runner, I will remember what I saw that day at the Crisman race.

Last updated: 2005-08-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:27 | 03.12 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/227
Performance: Good
Course: Course was relatively flat - which is quite a surprise given the fact that Dave Salvas designed the course. Whenever Dave says a course is flat, it usually means you are in "BIG TROUBLE." Most of the course was in the shade. We were lucky to have a breeze for much of the course as well.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes