Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The invisible fence still works Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-18 2:40 PM

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
Subject: The invisible fence still works
Thought you would all like to know.

What a coincidence too. This morning I was just thinking I should check it out. Just now I hear the dog take off from her perch on the patio stairs (probably going after a squirrel) then I hear her get zapped and run back. Guess I don't need to check after all.

Edited by graceful_dave 2011-03-18 2:41 PM

2011-03-18 5:21 PM
in reply to: #3403936

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: The invisible fence still works
I just set mine up today. We rescued a dog from the shelter two weeks ago and had a scare when she got out the door one morning (she doesn't like being left behind when we leave so she bolted and ran for it).

This one is a wireless model from Petsafe. So far I'm pretty impressed with the system. Have to keep an eye/leash on her for quite a while still, but she was already shying away from the edge of the zone with just the audio tones. Haven't had the "squirrel test" yet, that will be the ultimate challenge.
2011-03-18 5:42 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
hum, I have a fenced yard.  BUT, I have a dog aggressive dog.  And everyone in Tucson has dogs, including on either side of me.  So my dog starts jumping at the fence and being a general A-Hole to the dogs next door until I notice and get out and get things under control.  I wonder, would this work to setup a smaller perimeter in my backyard and keep him away from the fences?  I'm working on training him but I'd like to let him stay outside and not have to worry about him. 
2011-03-18 6:57 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

We also have the wireless Petsafe one.  Love that!  Our dog is such a wimp that we usually don't have it turned on or with a fresh battery.  If she starts to lose respect for it, I carry it to the zone and let her hear the beep.  Then she's good for another few months. 

Our horses' electric fence is just about free of snow on the bottom strand now.  Sooner or later one of them will test it. 

2011-03-19 10:32 AM

User image

Fall River, WI
My Innotek in ground took a lightning strike a few years ago.  A few new outlets, a control panel and couple wire splices and I was good to go.  I thought the thing was done for good after seeing it happen. 
2011-03-19 11:27 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama

We set one up around our water garden in the back. Having labs, they learned that laying in the pond was super nice, even if they destroyed all the flowers, killed a few fish, and made a huge mess.

We installed a wireless fence around it, and only once since then did they go to it. They learned they could walk toward it, but that was it. They won't even chase their ball if it rolls in the zone.

After a summer of it, I believe we'll shut it down this summer and see if they still do the same thing.

2011-03-20 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3404198

User image

Bronze member

bzgl40 - 2011-03-18 5:42 PM hum, I have a fenced yard.  BUT, I have a dog aggressive dog.  And everyone in Tucson has dogs, including on either side of me.  So my dog starts jumping at the fence and being a general A-Hole to the dogs next door until I notice and get out and get things under control.  I wonder, would this work to setup a smaller perimeter in my backyard and keep him away from the fences?  I'm working on training him but I'd like to let him stay outside and not have to worry about him. 

In my experience (and I am not a dog expert) the fence still requires a lot a training time.  We had an underground fence with our previous dog. She was part border collie and very territorial. We had to put little red flags all over the yard and walk her around the perimeter of the flags every day. I can't remember all the steps now but it took time and training. It worked good for a while but my husband is color blind. He didn't have the wire completely buried in a few places and mowed over it. Doggie figured out it wasn't on and that was it. Even after we fixed it never worked as well. We put the flags back up, did the training again but it didn't matter.

Also, my neighbors across the street have one and it didn't work for their dog at all. The battery ran out on the dogs collar and she started chasing my kids, my dog, my cats in our own yard. They replaced the battery - NO improvement. She would chase my van into our own garage. She would sit under our window and bark at our house. They even tried a bigger collar with a more intense shock. It was a mess and they were simply relying on the fence to fix the problem. My children were afraid to play outside in our own yard. I think it's harder with a dog who is already aggressive. I'm not saying you shouldn't try it - just that it still requires a lot of consistent training time.

2011-03-20 9:45 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

My dog park friends and I were joined by a big young hound dog this morning who ventured out without his person.  He had a collar (no ID tag with phone number), a choke chain, AND a remote shock collar type device, but had still managed to escape.   At least he knew where to go.   We spent about half an hour trying to grab him - he was quite wiley.    Just wanted to play -  Nice big fella.   We had to call the dog police instead of the owner.  

Please put a tag on your dog wth a phone number!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The invisible fence still works Rss Feed