Boca Hawaii
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 08m 12s
Overall Rank = 35/192
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/19
Pre-race routine:

Rode 52 miles, mostly easy on Saturday...but woke up Sunday feeling pretty good. Slept well for once. Got to the race site way too early. This year they used numbered racks, so I should have just come much later.
Event warmup:

Not much...swam about 50 yards just to get into the water.
Swim
  • 10m 46s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

First of all...the swim was short. Not sure how much, but I reckon I probably was swimming 1:35-1:40 per 100 yards...not 1:19.

Fastest guy out of the water is a pro who swam a 7:18, or ~53 seconds per 100 yards

Very happy with the swim. I stayed calm in the beginning, then once we made the turn around the first bouy, things started to open up. I then was able to latch on to a guys feet all the way to the next buoy. Once we made that last turn, I surged past him. Swam all the way till I started to grab sand, and noticed one of my friends running up the beach. I did not expect to even be in his zip code. Must have been the draft I caught.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I really didn't have to sight much or use too much effort because of the guy I was following for almost half the race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

I ran down the wrong isle, but since I had an end rack spot, it didn't really matter. I got everything on pretty good, and headed out. I didn't leave my shoes clipped in because I had not gotten enough practice.

Practice the flying mount to shave a few seconds. This transition area was really small, so I only had to run about 20 yards with my bike shoes...so it didn't cost me too much. But it will cost
Bike
  • 28m 58s
  • 11.3 miles
  • 23.41 mile/hr
Comments:

I suppose I should practice more swim to bike bricks. My heart was pumping the first couple miles...but slowly I settled into somewhat of a groove. I knew right off the bat, that holding 255 watts wasn't possible...so I just held low 240's for the first 2/3 of the ride. Passed a bunch of people...but also knew that some of these guys would pass me on the run.

The last stretch of about 3 miles was brutal. Tons of potholes and over patches that made it like a video game to dodge them.

The winds were also pretty strong, but nothing like what I was expecting given how strong the winds were the past 3-4 days.

Not much. Overall a good effort. 16 out of 191 on the bike...I'll take that any day.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

I'm actually surprised my T2 was 39 seconds. I imagined it would be well over 1 minute given I ran past my rack spot, took a few extra seconds to get my helmet unbuckled, and lost some time putting on my shoes.

That being said...I hauled ass out of transition once my shoes were on.

Practice getting out of shoes while on the bike. Not run past my rack, and get my helmet off in one try.
Run
  • 26m 50s
  • 3.6 miles
  • 07m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

I was able to push through the jell-o feeling pretty quick, and finally felt my legs under me by mile 1. Problem is that's when we were running straight into the wind. I got passed by groups of people, but once we made the turn back to the finish, and we had the tailwind...nobody passed me after that. My legs finally felt better, but I was still sucking wind.

Repassed one person who passed me earlier, and ran hard to the finish. I actually ran every mile faster than the previous one. But that also had to do with the fact the first miles were into the wind, and the later ones were with it.

Not much...solid effort.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with some friends and training partners. Found out I took 3rd in my division, and got a lot of congratulations. I was pretty shocked to see I finished so high.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not focusing on this race. I did the best I could considering my main goal is still working to the Hawaii 70.3 and not tapering for these types of small tune up races.

Last updated: 2011-01-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:46 | 820 yards | 01m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/19
Overall: 67/192
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Clockwise tringle pointing towards shore. Water was pretty calm. There was some decent current, but the way the course was set up was to our advantage. Course was definately short.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:28:58 | 11.3 miles | 23.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/19
Overall: 16/192
Avg HR 173 Avg Power 239 Norm Power 244
Wind: Strong
Course: Pancake flat, a few 90 degree turns and one hairpin. Most of the roads were smooth, but one stretch was bloody murder. Potholes galore and the ones that were filled, were filled one inch higher than the road making them just as bad.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:26:50 | 03.6 miles | 07m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/19
Overall: 62/192
Avg HR ~173 Mile 1 7:45 Mile 2 7:37 Mile 3 6:54 Last 0.6 4:24
Course: Pancake flat through Iroqouis Housing.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-03-20 9:05 PM

User image

Subject: Waterfront Triathlon at Pu'uloa

2011-03-20 10:39 PM
in reply to: #3406038

User image

New user

Oahu, HI
Subject: RE: Waterfront Triathlon at Pu'uloa
Great Job!! This was my first tri, been excited/anxious about it all week! Nice to now have a baseline to compete against.
2011-03-21 1:25 AM
in reply to: #3406038

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Subject: RE: Waterfront Triathlon at Pu'uloa
That's an awesome job -- and take the fast swim however you can, you earned it!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Waterfront Triathlon at Pu'uloa Rss Feed