Longview Running Club
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 51s
Overall Rank = 32/259
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/22
Pre-race routine:

Great to have a half-marathon that starts less than 5 miles from my house! Had a nice breakfast with eggs and oatmeal. Followed up with some coffee. Made my way to the high school with Gina.
Event warmup:

Found Funderburke. Eventually found Townsend. And a few others. But they were the guys I was planning on running with. At least starting with. Didn't really warmup too much. Just swung the legs a little to get the blood flowing.
Run
  • 1h 38m 51s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off with the guys. Felt like a comfortable pace. My HR monitor was dead for this race, and I didn't even bother bringing the watch. So I was running completely free. Pretty scary, but I wanted to trust my body. There was a guy calling out mile splits at the first mile marker. Seems like he said 7:30. That was faster than I wanted to run, but it felt good so I went with it.

Decided to just run at the point where breathing becomes labored. I figured I could hold that for quite some time. Funderburke and Townsend both wandered off at a pace faster than I wanted, so I let them roll with it while I maintained my effort.

Made it to 259 and hit the long, rolling hills. Nothing steep, but at least a half-mile long I would guess. Going up, I could see the people in front of me pulling away. Then I would reel them back on the downhill. Slowly the miles faded, still no idea at all how fast I was running. It was super hot, and I kept on considering shedding the shirt. Instead, I would just occasionally pull it up to expose this belly I've been working on!

Turned onto Judson and I had caught Townsend. Continued at my effort as the light hills continued. Eventually John Ritter caught up with me. Chatted with him for a second, which let me know I wasn't pushing hard enough. Not if I could chat. As we came to a flat section I picked it up a bit. I knew Ritter was on my tail, but I wasn't sure how close.

Once we hit the neighborhoods, Funderburke was out of sight. I really had no intention of trying to keep up with him, nor catch him. The hills in the neighborhood were quite a bit steeper than the previous hills, but they were short. Almost walked up one hill.

Made it back to a long downhill on Judson as you cross Hawkins Pkwy, and I had plenty left in the tank. Amazed that I still felt good. So I picked it up. I could see Funderburke at this point, but he was still pretty far up there. Hit mile 12 marker on this downhill, and I thought I might have enough to catch him. So I picked it up, to the point where I was breathing hard.

As we turned onto the Loop and back into the high school, I really thought I might have a chance. But as we made it on the track, I was wasted and knew that I had no chance to catch him. He ended up getting me by 15 seconds.
What would you do differently?:

Wear a HR monitor. I really would to like to have the data, just for reference as I run future half-marathons.

My hips have been hurting lately, so I haven't had near the run volume I'd like to have.

I probably should've run a bit harder earlier in the race. I had more in the tank than I think I should've in the last 3 miles. But this is actually surprising, because I've been shortening my long runs lately.
Post race
Warm down:

Just chatted. Had a chocolate milk. Screwed around with the chick-fil-a cow.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Recent hip pain. Limited run volume. I'm training for a half-ironman, not a half-marathon. So more specific run volume likely would've led to a better time.

Event comments:

Great race! Great to see 500+ runners for a race in Longview, Texas. I hope that the community gets more involved with this race and it grows. The city needs to raise awareness for physical fitness!

Last updated: 2011-01-22 12:00 AM
Running
01:38:51 | 13.1 miles | 07m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/22
Overall: 32/259
Performance: Good
Course: Start at LV HS, north 259, back on Judson, wandering thru some local neighborhoods
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-03-22 7:25 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: Longview Half Marathon

2011-03-22 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3409452

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: RE: Longview Half Marathon

Good job on your race. If you push hard enough, 13.1 is long enough to get some serious hurt going.

A half-marathon is the new sprint.

Keep on trucking...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Longview Half Marathon Rss Feed