United States
22F / -6C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 01m 50s
Overall Rank = 17/243
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/22
Pre-race routine:

Had a cup of coffee, oatmeal and a banana. Sipped on some gatorade on the way to the race. Got to the site at 8:30 for a 9:30 start time. Registration was packed and got my stuff about 8:50.
Event warmup:

It was cold and crisp out there in the country. It was about 20 degrees with a slight wind and sun was shining (thank god). At 9:00 I went for a 1.5 mile run warmup with some strides to race pace and got re-acquainted with the first hill on the course. At 9:15 I popped a GU and washed it down with some water. I got into race gear..tights, compression shirt, short sleeve shirt and hat. I was going to be cold at the start but figured I would warm up quickly. I waited in the school until 3 minutes to gun time. Lets get it on!
Run
  • 1h 01m 50s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 06m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal for this race was just to improve from last year where I went 1:03:26. I figured under 1:03:00 was definitely achievable and closer to 1:02:00 would be great. I have been running about 20 mi/wk all winter but did a bit more VO2 and tempo type runs coupled with a medium long run. Last winter I mainly focused on just getting out the door with EZ runs.

The first 1.5 miles of this course are (2) long nasty hills that put you in the pain cave from the get go so its not hard to get the heart rate up quickly. The back side of the course from miles 4-6 is the toughest portion of the race in my mind. The hills are relentless and there is a long way to go to the finish. Mentally, I was just thinking stay strong. Around mile 6 or so I put in a little surge on a slight downhill and was able to reel a couple runners in. I thought that might cost me later but luckily it did not. At mile 7.5 or so it becomes a mainly downhill segment and really pushed the pace from here to the finish. I caught up to a gentleman at mile 8 and we pushed each other to the finish. I had about 10 feet on him as we turned into the school parking lot and the finish line when I hear his kids say "sprint daddy..go go go". I was like oh crap, he is going to pass me back. He sprinted past me like a bat out of hell. I did not care. I hit the finish line with the gas tank on empty..nothing left.

I was consistenly passing folks 1 by 1 throughout the race but really I was just focusing on staying consistent with my stride and keeping a quick cadence and not falling off the pace. Basically, I did not want to lose focus and let my pace drop. Looking at my HR data, I pushed the hell out of this race!! I am surprised I was able to hold that high of a HR the whole way. My average HR last year was 170 compared to 173 this year. Very happy with the effort. Possibly on a flatter course I could get near that 1 hour mark and that is encouraging. Happy with the improvement.

Mile1: 6:41 m/mi AHR:166
Mile2: 6:53 m/mi AHR:174
Mile3: 6:31 m/mi AHR:173
Mile4: 6:44 m/mi AHR:172
Mile5: 6:47 m/mi AHR:173
Mile6: 6:41 m/mi AHR:173
Mile7: 6:49 m/mi AHR:175
Mile8: 6:25 m/mi AHR:173
Mile9: 6:29 m/mi AHR:177
Last.3: 5:53 m/mi AHR:178

That course is a true sufferfest..hills are relentless!!
What would you do differently?:

If I could run 25 mi/wk in the winter that would be good. Considering that most of my focus was on biking and swimming this winter I am happy with the result.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some food, drinks, and hot coffee and hit the road immediately. We had to drive to Detroit to pick up our new car so did not stick around long. Also, waited for my face to unthaw..it was completely numb.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

weekly mileage

Last updated: 2011-01-28 12:00 AM
Running
01:01:50 | 9.32 miles | 06m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/22
Overall: 17/243
Performance: Good
Course: Brutally hilly course on paved and gravel roads with a downhill finish
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %