General Discussion Race Reports! » March Triathlon Series - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

March Triathlon Series - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Lopez, California
United States
Cal Poly Triathlon Team
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 01m 17s
Overall Rank = 271/420
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/11
Pre-race routine:

A couple days before the race I found out I was going to have to work a 12-hour shift starting a couple hours after the race, so I made sure to get all of my errands done on Saturday and get a decent night's sleep. I got about 7 hours, more than I usually get the night before a race. I woke up at 4:30 and left pretty quickly, since my stuff was all ready to go.
Event warmup:

Parked in the Mustang water slides parking area and took a dark walk to the transition area. I got a pretty good spot, 3 racks down from the bike in/out area. I don't really warm up (that's what the swim is for) so I got in my wetsuit, waited as long as possible to take my shoes off, and went down to the start right before the fastest collegiate swimmers started to come in.
Swim
  • 33m 25s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was very cold, but I didn't feel it until I started swimming and my face began to hurt. Fortunately this only lasted a hundred yards or so. I was able to settle into my rhythm pretty well, but sighting was an issue, especially after the 2nd or 3rd buoy. Coming back, the fog was hanging pretty low and the sun lit it up so I couldn't really see anything. When I couldn't see the buoy I just followed others, but I ended up going slightly off course a few times, and saw others struggling as well. I felt fine during the swim and tried to keep a moderate effort level, since trying to swim faster (for me) doesn't result in actually swimming faster. I came out of the water and ran up the stairs, which were right there because of the high water level.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I always say I need to work on my swimming, and maybe one of these days I'll actually start doing it.
Transition 1
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

The rack was pretty empty by the time I got there, because I was in the last olympic wave and I was racked next to a bunch of collegiate athletes who were in early waves (and probably also because I'm a slow swimmer). I had plenty of room to do my thing - wetsuit the rest of the way off, shoes, helmet, sunglasses, bike off the rack, then off to the mount line.

Nothing I can think of.
Bike
  • 1h 28m 5s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 16.89 mile/hr
Comments:

I have a new bike that's still in the cable-stretching period, so I've been keeping close tabs on my rear derailer. Having noticed on my short Saturday ride that a minor adjustment was in order, I adjusted it after taking my bike out of the car, cycling through the gears several times, satisfied that all was well. Well, something wasn't quite right - I experienced several ghost shifts, had trouble catching some gears, and had to concentrate on my shifting rather than my pace. I think I went too hard at some points and too easy at others, but I passed a lot of people and it wasn't the worst ride ever. I got a side cramp, which was frustrating. Gatorade wasn't sounding good so I picked up a water bottle at the aid station, which I normally don't do for a race this short. Fortunately the cramp worked itself out. The course was wet and muddy in some places, especially on Hi Mountain Rd and the last stretch coming back into transition. The climb before the turnaround is pretty nasty - short, but super steep. Many people were walking their bikes. I managed to avoid this, but ended up climbing out of my saddle, gasping for breath at the top. It reminded me of the 3 sisters at Silverman. Coming back into transition I started to pay attention to my watch, since my goal was to break 3 hours.

Adjust my derailer the day before instead of in the dark parking lot on race morning.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

When I racked my bike, my handlebar lever got stuck in the fence, and I spent a few seconds messing with it before I realized that I was wasting time. I was at about 2:05 into the race and needed to get going if I was going to break 3 hours. After that it was all business - shoes off, shoes on, visor, and race belt on the way out of transition.

Not be clumsy and not waste time! But overall it was an ok transition.
Run
  • 55m 43s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Once I realized I was going to have to go under 55 for my 10k to break 3 hours, I knew I would be cutting it close. It took me a few minutes to settle into my rhythm, and it took about a mile to regain feeling in my feet, which were seriously numb after the bike ride. Once the course went off the paved road, it was a mess, mud and puddles everywhere. I settled into a good pace, manageable but hard. I've been doing more hills and trails in my training and I'm really starting to see some benefits. I felt strong throughout the run, and up until the last 10 minutes I thought I would make my sub-3 hour goal. However, most of the last half-mile was uphill, and I started to feel a twinge in one of my hamstrings. Wildflower is in 5 weeks and I figured it wasn't worth risking it for a final push, so I backed off a bit on my pace and crossed the finish line a bit behind my (somewhat arbitrary) goal time, but feeling good.

Nothing - I'm feeling good about this run, except for the slightly disturbing hamstring issue.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, had some pizza, checked results, talked with another CCTC member. After that I had to make a beeline for home to shower, and then work - until 3:30 in the morning. It was a long night!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My bike issue - plus I have a feeling it contributed to what happened with my hamstring later in the race.

Event comments:

This race gets better each year I do it and as a Cal Poly alum I enjoy supporting the team. This was my first race in my new age group and overall I'm satisfied with the results. My last three AG finishes have been 4/5/4. I'm getting close - hopefully this is my year!

Last updated: 2010-12-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:25 | 1640 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/420
Performance: Average
Suit: XTerra Vortex 3 full
Course: A somewhat diamond-shaped clockwise loop in Lake Lopez. Murky, COLD water.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 54F / 12C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:16
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:28:05 | 24.8 miles | 16.89 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: A nice little hill coming out of the Lake Lopez entrance, down Lopez Drive for several miles to the first turnaround, then right at Hi Mountain Road, several more miles to the next steep hill and turnaround, then back through the Lopez entrance to transition.
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:55:43 | 06.21 miles | 08m 58s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Paved road for the first and last mile or so, otherwise a super muddy fire road. There was a course change this year due to road conditions, which resulted in an extra turnaround. I only saw one mile marker, at mile 3, but there were a lot of excellent volunteers on the course making sure everyone went the right way.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-03-28 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
Subject: March Triathlon Series - Olympic Course

Edited by froglegs 2011-03-28 1:22 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » March Triathlon Series - Olympic Course Rss Feed