General Discussion Triathlon Talk » KID BIKE TRAILER ON BWI loop Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-02 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Subject: KID BIKE TRAILER ON BWI loop

Hello all, is it safe to pull one of those kid 2 seat bike trailers on the bwi loop?  Wide enough?  Anyone see any out there?

like this one.

http://www.amazon.com/InStep-Single-Bicycle-Trailer-Green/dp/B002QAZ8WC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1301752030&sr=8-4

My kids are always asking to ride and the loop is free of car traffic.  I would try to pick times where it is not as crowded.

2011-04-02 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3426399

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glen Burnie, MD
Subject: RE: KID BIKE TRAILER ON BWI loop

You would certainly be fine pulling a 2-kid trailer on the BWI trail.  The trail is paved and at least 6 feet across (might even be 8) and traffic is light. The only part you *may* have congestion is by the Airport overlook park off of Dorsey Rd (which is where most people park).  You can park off of Elkridge Landing Rd as well off in the shoulder of the road but that might not be as safe for getting the kids set up.  Even if it is crowded, it's mostly crowded by families walking on the trail on that section between Stewart Ave and the airport park so you would be the one having to just slow down and give warning.  On the rest of the loop you may pass a few people or get passed by a few people but it's usually pretty light traffic.  I've seen people out there with trailers before.  You should be fine.

I'm not sure how familiar you are but if you need it, you can google "BWI Trail Loop" and find a few maps with directions and parking areas and such.  According to some of that info it's actually 8 feet wide.

Enjoy the ride!

2011-04-02 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3426435

User image

Veteran
Maryland
dolelicious - 2011-04-02 9:35 AM

You would certainly be fine pulling a 2-kid trailer on the BWI trail.  The trail is paved and at least 6 feet across (might even be 8) and traffic is light. The only part you *may* have congestion is by the Airport overlook park off of Dorsey Rd (which is where most people park).  You can park off of Elkridge Landing Rd as well off in the shoulder of the road but that might not be as safe for getting the kids set up.  Even if it is crowded, it's mostly crowded by families walking on the trail on that section between Stewart Ave and the airport park so you would be the one having to just slow down and give warning.  On the rest of the loop you may pass a few people or get passed by a few people but it's usually pretty light traffic.  I've seen people out there with trailers before.  You should be fine.

I'm not sure how familiar you are but if you need it, you can google "BWI Trail Loop" and find a few maps with directions and parking areas and such.  According to some of that info it's actually 8 feet wide.

Enjoy the ride!

Excellent, thanks for your help.  I have ridden there a bunch of times with my wife, she hates riding on the road for obvious reasons.  I was just not sure how safe it was for fellow cyclists.  I probably won't be passing too many people, I guess a good form of resistance training, plus will get bonus points for family time. 

Happy Training!

2011-04-02 6:35 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Yeah, I would agree that this is a family friendly trail, so I would have at it with the kiddie trailer.  There is one tough but short hill on the NW side of the trail, which should give you some really good hill training pulling the kids!
2011-04-04 8:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overlea/Fullerton Maryland
Although its a bit hilly, check out Loch raven reservoir on weekends as well. They close off part of the street for runners, cyclists ect. so you get the entire road. Very kid/family friendly
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » KID BIKE TRAILER ON BWI loop Rss Feed