Solvang & Buellton Parks and Recreation
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 56m 34s
Overall Rank = 60/60
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

Oh man...were to begin. I guess I'll start by saying that my bib at Oceanside 70.3 is still there waiting for me. I had to pull out about 4 weeks ago due to an abdominal strain that is on the mend. By pulling out of Oceanside, that opened up this small triathlon that I did last year. It's a very small race but super fun and in a great little town outside of Santa Barbara. I really wanted to come back to this race since I wasn't going to do Oceanside. I begged and pleaded with my coach to let me give the 5.5k run a try as I am pretty close to that mileage right now...longest being 2.5 miles in the last few months.

Everything was set at about 930pm last night, I hit the hay and got to sleep...this is were the fun begins. At 1245am I receive a phone call from the brother in law that my sister has just gone into labor. I told them I would be more than happy to be on call to take care of my 3yo nephew while they were at the hospital delivering my niece. I just KNEW the call was going to come at the worst possible time. I got up with Ashley and we headed to the hospital in West LA. At this point, I had pretty much written this race off.

We arrived at the hospital and picked up my nephew and took him back to my sister's house. I got him in his pajamas and to sleep. About an hour later, my BOL calls and says that they have admitted my sister and are going to have the baby in the morning and he is coming home. So, I was good to go. Ashley and I left and arrived back home at 330am with a 4:15am wake up call. The race was back on but I would basically be running on no sleep. I did get about 45 minutes of sleep on the drive up and that was it. Oh well, sometimes life throws curve balls and you just have to deal with it.
Event warmup:

We arrived in Santa Ynez about 7am and I picked up my packet and got my transition set up. I brought my S3 and the trainer to get warmed up on. I spent about 10 minutes on it and did some hard intervals to get the blood flowing. At this point I knew I wasn't going to be close to potential. After the bike, I headed down to the pool and got in a 300scy swim. Felt ok at this point but was dreading the race starting..lol
Swim
  • 04m 41s
  • 350 yards
  • 01m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was the first in the pool. They asked that the faster swimmers go first and everyone backed up..lol. So I stepped up and got in...f-it. I thought if someone catches me, oh well, but I was fairly sure if I started behind someone, I would catch them. Ended up getting out of the pool first and was never in danger of being caught.

Started WAY too fast. First 100 must have been sub 1:10 and I had to slow down but the damage was done. After about 200, I was starting to fade and struggle. Starting first is good that you don't have to contend with anyone but also you always feel like you are being chased down and can get out of your race. That's what happened here. I just went too fast at the start. Although I'm pretty happy with the time. 4:41 including getting out of the pool and running about 30' to the timing mat converts to about a 1:16-1:17 pace...so I'm ok with that. I just would have rather not been so winded getting out. I can chalk some of that up to lack of sleep. Also, turning under lane lines zaps some speed as well, it's kind of hard to flip turn and push off at an angle. Some where one leg push offs.
What would you do differently?:

Start slower and build after the 200 mark.
Transition 1
  • 00m 16s
Comments:

Perfect transition...I was the fastest by 10 seconds.

Nothing
Bike
  • 27m 10s
  • 9.94 miles
  • 21.95 mile/hr
Comments:

And this is where the shit hits the fan. As I mentioned, I raced this race last year. I looked at the map of the course and THOUGHT it was the same as last year except 1 loop instead of 2. Well, I was wrong. This was a square loop consisting of 4 right turns. I made the first right correctly but screwed the second. I came to an intersection, in the lead so no one was ready for me, and saw a highway patrol at the intersection. This made sense as this is where we turned right last year. There were no signs or arrows and the HP officer was sitting in his car. So, I turned right...WRONG. I didn't know at the time though and kept going. I then cam to the next right and again, there was a HP officer at the intersection and sitting in his car. I made that right and continued on. When I spotted the traffic light at the dismount line in the distance, I looked down to see 7 miles...ah shit...are you kidding...I knew I had cut the course. But, I wasn't 100% sure, so I carried on.

In addition to this debacle, my ride SUCKED. I couldn't make any power. I was flat as could be. Up the hills wasn't too bad but trying to accelerate and hold good power on the flats was impossible. My legs were just smoked. I was almost expecting to get passed...or at least have a couple people put some time in on me.

So, what I did for the time is correct it for the right distance. I took my MPH average and converted it to the longer distance. This isn't, obviously, that accurate because the route I took, while shorter, was much more difficult. It has three big up hill kickers that are steep and hurt. The other route, I drove it after the race, was dead flat.

Not stay up all night and look at the fricken course map before the race!
Transition 2
  • 00m 27s
Comments:

Tied with a couple people for fastest T2...I had a problem with my left shoe as it wouldn't go on for a second. Not too bad though.

Figure out why my shoe was tight.
Run
  • 24m 1s
  • 3.43 miles
  • 07m  min/mile
Comments:

So, I take off on the run and feel pretty good. The idea here, since I haven't run a 5k in months, was to basically stop racing and jog the run. Well, jogging wasn't going to happen but I did take it very easy on the way out. I just settled into what felt like a very easy pace and waited for my Garmin to beep on the first mile and see how fast I was going. It went off at 7:04...perfect. I wasn't running hard at all and it was right around 7min pace. I was totally ok with that. Got to the turn around and headed back and my Garmin went off at 7:04 again...perfect. At this time though, I saw second coming and he was running at a good clip. So I did pick it up coming back up the hill, which is significant. I went through mile 3 at 6:58...considering the difference in terrain, I was running much harder at this point. But there was no sign of pain and I felt fine. It still wasn't race pace but definitely harder than I was planning on running.

No one caught me and I finished 5 minutes ahead of second place...whoops.

Nothing, run went great for what was planned.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much...I really wasn't that sore,...just totally tired from an overall energy standpoint.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sleep....and injury, but that was preplanned.

Event comments:

So after I came through the finish line, I immediately went up to the race director and told them what had happened and the route I took. After talking to them for a while, second place came in and told them that I made a wrong turn...he saw me up ahead. He was super cool about it. They were really bummed and were trying to solve the problem...I told them, there is no problem, I'm DQ'd and there's your winner. Really nothing to discuss.

I still had a great time. My bike speed was still good with very little power, so I'm happy with that. Swim was fast although it was a lot of effort. Run was the best part...no pain at a decent pace. I was thrilled with that. All in all it was an adventure and a good time. Like I said, sometimes life throws some weird stuff at you and you just have to deal with it as it does. Had I taken the right route, I'm pretty sure I would have been 2nd overall...and that's great. Hopefully next year I'll be at Oceanside 70.3 if they fall on the same date. If not, I'm coming back to crush this little tri ; )

Last updated: 2011-03-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:41 | 350 yards | 01m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 3/60
Performance: Average
Suit: 2011 Desoto ITU Suit
Course: Snake swim through 7 lane lines.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:16
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:27:10 | 9.94 miles | 21.95 mile/hr
Overall: 3/60
Performance: Bad
Wind: None
Course: Single loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:01 | 03.43 miles | 07m  min/mile
Overall: 4/60
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back...out is down hill, back is up hill
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-04-02 5:43 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Subject: Santa Ynez Valley Triathlon

2011-04-03 5:26 AM
in reply to: #3426824

User image

Elite
Miami
Subject: RE: Santa Ynez Valley Triathlon

lol cool race...minus the wrong turn of course.  too bad about the dq though....

btw congrats on the niece...

Edited by trix 2011-04-03 5:28 AM
2011-04-04 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3427163

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.

Yeah....my fault. I should have looked at the map before the race and not "assumed" it was the same.

Little niece is doing good!

2011-04-11 1:06 AM
in reply to: #3428473

User image

Veteran
SoCal
class act dusty..Unfortunately, I am pretty sure that there are quite a few people who wouldn't have mentioned cutting the course short.  great read and sometimes, IMO, results don't make the triathlete, it's what he/she stands for and I can honestly say, people with integrity take the cake.  good stuff bro...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Santa Ynez Valley Triathlon Rss Feed