Wichita, Kansas
United States
YMCA
Total Time = 50m 24s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Not much sleep! Up early! Breakfast, coffee, drive to the Y!
Watched Dr. Speedo on the swim (he won this race, rawr!) then went and set up my "transition" in the locker room.
Event warmup:

I rode the Cybex bike a little just to see what it was all about.
Swam 100yd before my heat began.
Swim
  • 09m 6s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

3 girls in this heat (2nd fastest) had estimated a 9:00 swim time. Split the lane with a fellow 9:00er. I went out a little too fast trying to keep up with my lane mate, and my arms fatigued quickly. Had to slow it down a bit for the remainder. Feel like I could have pushed it faster but was keeping comfortable.

I was last out of the water (out of 6) in my heat, that kind of messed with my head.
What would you do differently?:

Push more for this short of a distance. I think I'm still in IM-distance swimming mode.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 22m 2s
  • 6 miles
  • 16.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Passed my lane mate in transition, that was cool. Ran upstairs to the bikes and had to adjust the seat first. Started to pedal and reached down to adjust the straps and they wouldn't stay locked. After three tries and a volunteer even trying to do it for me, I just gave up and conceded that my quads would be working overtime.

This was crazy weird, doing the bike of a triathlon on an indoor Cybex bike. Dr. Speedo was cheering me on, which was so awesome. It was quiet up there. I'd carried my shirt and visor with me and waited till about one mile in to put them on - good decision as I didn't waste time in transition with that.

Not much else to say about this bike - except I was the last one in my heat off the bike. Boo!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 19m 16s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

22 laps around the track, LEGGO!
I think my volunteer lap counter was stoned. I was just glad I couldn't hear him saying "21 laps to go... 20 laps to go, etc." - I probably would have punched him in the face :)

This was tedious! Felt like a hamster! Put my head down and just kept going. Dr. Speedo was cheering for me and that was fun. I knew another guy in my heat, Sylvian, and we exchanged encouragement each time he lapped me. Heh.

With 5 laps to go, I saw my lane-mate about 1/4 lap ahead of me. New goal: don't finish last in the heat! She was a weak runner and I knew I could pass her. I did, but then got paranoid she was going to try to kick it in at the end. But she didn't.

Finished last lap super strong and felt like I was gonna puke.
What would you do differently?:

Push just a leeeeetle bit more. But I'm shocked and awed at my pace, considering all of my recent runs have been over 11/min/mile.
Post race
Warm down:

Panted a lot. Tried not to puke. Congratulated Dr. Speedo on winning the race :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was my first indoor triathlon! And the shortest triathlon I've ever done! I am not used to this distance and what it takes to execute well. Clearly :)

Event comments:

Compared to the indoor tri I volunteered at last weekend, this one was really disorganized - and at least the first 2 heats started late. I mean it was fine for a really small race, but I think I expected it to be at the level of the Andover tri. Still fun though, and not bad for only $25 entry fee.

Last updated: 2011-03-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:06 | 500 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri shorts + Nike swim/bra top
Course: 25yd pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:22:02 | 06 miles | 16.34 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Cybex indoor bike
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:16 | 02 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: 22 laps around an indoor track. Yes 22.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-04-03 2:26 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: North YMCA Indoor Triathlon

2011-04-03 7:31 PM
in reply to: #3427587

User image

Master
Dirt Road
Subject: RE: North YMCA Indoor Triathlon
Thanks for the RR. I've never done an indoor before. Congrats on not puking in front of Dr. Speedo.
2011-04-04 11:14 AM
in reply to: #3427587

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: North YMCA Indoor Triathlon
Nice go at it! Of course being an Ironwoman I bet you would've even done better if you'd had to repeat the process a couple times!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North YMCA Indoor Triathlon Rss Feed