BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KC Mentor team RFP CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2011-04-07 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Subject: Razorxp & KC Mentor team RFP CLOSED

When Can you Start Mentoring:  I can start today

Name:
  Razorxp / David
Story:  I started triathlon on a whim to loose a couple pounds for a friends wedding 4 years ago and have been hooked ever since.  I have made ALOT of mistakes in training so hopefully I can help you avoid the ones I have made.  As a normal type A I have tried to become a student of this sport by completing USAT coaching and reading everything I can get my hands on in order to improve or find better ways to train.  Triathlon is a family event for My wife and friends as we have as many as 10 friends/family at most races.

Family Status:
  I have been married for 7 years to my best-friend (Angie) and our 3 dogs  2 yorkies (Max, Enzo) and a boxer (kona) as its his job to get me there. :-)

Current Training:
This year my A race is IMWI, along with that we will do a hand-full of fun OLY races and a couple 1/2IM's (Knoxville & Muncie)

2010 Races:
  IMCDA I did for fun as a vacation, and IMKY was my A race (didn't go too well though) Also did the 1st 1/2 @ Knoxville.

Weightloss:
  This year I am going to try a new race weight getting as small as possible, probably around 155.  Current 190lbs but my normal race weight is 162.  I don't have much trouble getting down quickly except for the last few pounds.

What will Make me a Good Mentor:
  I hope to be a good mentor because I have learned alot about this sport in a short time and I can share what I have learned with others.  This will be my 1st attempt at mentoring so I am excited about something new, so I'm hoping I can motivate and stay motivated by others.   Another good thing is I am always checking this site out (even though I don't post much) so I will respond quickly.   I only hope I can get a group that is active (as this will make it much more fun and rewarding), I will do my best to keep it going but I cannot force others to post.

If your willing to commit to me I will commit to you!
TRAIN SAFE

David

Edited by razorxp 2011-07-31 9:30 PM

2011-04-08 12:00 AM
in reply to: #3434497

Subject: RE: Razorxp Mentor group "sickies"
Im in! Sign me up. I have a sprint coming up in May, my second tri as I did one last year. Excited about getting more serious about this whole deal!
2011-04-11 9:11 PM
in reply to: #3435543

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

jonfarm14 - 2011-04-08 1:00 AM Im in! Sign me up. I have a sprint coming up in May, my second tri as I did one last year. Excited about getting more serious about this whole deal!

Welcome, if you could post a bio with the following it will help everyone in the group get to know you.

Name:

Story: 

Family Status: 

Current Training:

2010 Races:

Weightloss goals:

Anything else you would like to share:

2011-04-11 9:38 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Evening Coach. I would love to be a part of the group again.

Welcome Jon - nice to have you with us.

I will post a bio in a few minutes.

EDIT and ADDITION

Here is the bio and I am looking foward to particpating again.

Personal History:

I am 47 years old, 5 foot 10 and about 168 lbs. Last summer (August 2010) I participated in a Tri-a-Tri in ChathamOntarioCanada- about one hour across the border from DetroitMichigan(I live in a small town just outside of WindsorOntariodirectly across the border from Detroit). I had a great time and I fell in love with the sport.

I am actually a Golf Professional and a Class A Member of the Canadian PGA (so if you need any help with your golf swing in exchange for this service - let me know - that goes for anyone in this group - lol) I now also teach a Golf Business specific program at a local college here in the area.

I have decided to take this sport up for a number of reasons, most of them personal which I am sure I will share with the group along the way if anyone is interested.

My goals for the 2011 season may be a bit lofty but I am ready to give it a shot. I would like to do at least 3 sprint tri's this coming season and maybe something a bit longer at the end of the summer. My current work situation and other schedules allow for a flexible training schedule so I am not too worried about that part of it. 

I would have to say that my biggest road block is the swimming. I did not grow up a swimmer so technically, to put it simply, I stink! I have engaged a swimming coach here at the college and I am trying. I have to be honest, it is frustrating but I seem to be getting a bit better thanks to you Coach Dave and the support of the rest of our team members from the last forum session. Getting the rhythm and timing during the breathing process is driving me nuts. I am normally pretty good at picking up a physical activity pretty quickly but this is tough. I know I have to be more patient but I am not going to quit.

I guess I should also let you know that just prior to the tri-a-tri last August I injured my neck (c5, c6 nerve root damage) resulting in radiculopathy. I managed during the tri-a-tri with the use of some pain meds but since then have been under the care of a physio therapist, chiropractor and wonderful massage therapist. I am probably operating at about 95 % now and the prognosis is good. I do still experience some left arm pain and weakness but God willing I will put this behind me. We believe the injury was a buildup of years of golf aggravated by quickly exerting myself in my new found passion of training.

Anyway - I am looking forward to a new year and participating in this great sport along with my other passion - golf.

OK – I think that is all I am ready to share about me.

I look forward to learning from the old members and the new ones.

Kevin

Edited by kcgolf 2011-04-11 9:47 PM
2011-04-11 9:44 PM
in reply to: #3441349

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
kcgolf - 2011-04-11 10:38 PM

Good Evening Coach. I would love to be a part of the group again.

Welcome Jon - nice to have you with us.

I will post a bio in a few minutes.

KC

Not sure I want you again!!! LOL  just kidding   I'm going to see you through your swimming or die trying.  Then were golfing and having a couple beverages.  You need to pick a weekend and I will come up your way to golf.

2011-04-11 9:51 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Was it the fall on the weekend from my bike that is giving you the impression I am un-coachable LOL? I do have one question Coach - If you die trying to teach me how to swim, who in the hell is going to save me from drowning?

I will put some possible dates together for a golf game, just let me get back to you. I don't mind driving to Ohio either. I would love to get a better look at Flag City USA.

Have a great night Coach and welcome again Jon.

KC

2011-04-12 1:28 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas

Hello. Can I join the group?

Name: JenD

Story: I'm 29 and decided to complete a Tri before The big 30. I have a competitive heart. Track n Field at 8yrs old. Played basketball in highschool. Snowboarding since 04. I have always been active well until I got pregnant with complications (pre 120lbs post 188lbs). It's been a 6 year struggle to get back to being content. When the gym got boring I bought a fixed gear bike. Then I started running more and decided to train for a marathon. I was on track then I broke my ankle on a trampoline in Oct 2010. I had 2 months to get lost in deep thought. It was then I realized what I was missing...I love to compete. All the hard work, pushing yourself beyond your limits, finishing the race, and achieving your goals. So here I am.

Family Status:  Married for almost 8years. We have a fantastic soon to be 7year old girl.

Currently Training for My first sprint... Iron Girl (Las Vegas). I started training in Jan when I learned how to freestyle. Jan-Feb I swam at the the gym 4x a week. Mar-Iron girl my goal is atleast 3 of each a week. 2010

Races: 5k (too many to count)

Weightlost goals: I'd like to maintain 125-130. Currently at 140.

Anything else you would like to share: I'm not a swimmer. I love to run. Biking is a thrill. I will work hard to get want I want.

Edited by jend702 2011-04-12 12:10 PM
2011-04-12 6:11 AM
in reply to: #3441493

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

jend702 - 2011-04-12 2:28 AM Hello. Can I join the group? Name: JenD Story: I'm 29 and decided to complete a Tri before The big 30. I have a competitive heart. Track n Field at 8yrs old. Played basketball in highschool. Snowboarding since 04. I have always been active well until I got pregnant with complications (pre 120lbs post 188lbs). It's been a 6 year struggle to get back to being content. When the gym got boring I bought a fixed gear bike. Then I started running more and decided to train for a marathon. I was on track then I broke my ankle on a trampoline in Oct 2010. I had 2months to get lost in deep thought. It was then I realized what I was missing...I love to compete. All the hard work, pushing yourself beyond your limits, finishing the race, and achieving your goals. So here I am. Family Status:  Married for almost 8years. We have a fantastic soon to be 7year old girl. Current Training for My first sprint... Iron Girl (Las Vegas). I started training in Jan when I learned how to freestyle. Jan-Feb I swam at the the gym 4x a week. Mar-Iron girl my goal is atleast 3 of each a week. 2010 Races: 5k Weightlost goals: I'd like to maintain 125-130. Currently at 140. Anything else you would like to share: I'm not a swimmer. I love to run. Biking is a thrill. I will work hard to get want I want.

Good Morning Jen - nice to meet you and I look forward to sharing our stories along the journey. I am sure you could tell from the postings so far - I am not a swimmer either - at least not yet - but I will be someday. Have a great day.

KC

2011-04-12 6:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
I would like to join this group. I post a more complete intro after work if you'll have me.Thanks
2011-04-12 6:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Morning from the IceMan.  Sign me up please.  I'm with you through IM Wisconsin.

Bio is this:

59.  Started losing weight about 400 in early 2005 by riding a hybrid bike.  50 inch waist then.  Switched to road bikes when I lost enough they wouldn't break under me. Cancer beaten in 2006.  Started doing the bike portion of tri relays to raise money for LiveSTRONG in 2007.  First full tris in 2009.  Half IM in 2010.  Down for Wisconsin IM in September.  200 pounds. 33 inch waist (Actually bought size 32 jean shorts last week.)  Strong cyclist.  Moderate swimmer.  Working hard on the run.  Will never be a gazelle.  

Journalist for newspaper in Central Illinois and magazines. Married to a wonder woman/manager/cheerleader.  Coached by Vision Quest.

They call me the IceMan.

2011-04-12 7:04 AM

User image

Veteran

Hey group, I would love to join if still room.  My name is Brian, 36, longtime marathoner, favorite race is adventure racing, have done 3 sprint tri's.

Glad to see you have done IMKY - that is what I am training for. 

I will post all my info later.  Looking forward to motivating and being motivated by the group.

2011-04-12 7:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL

Sign me up please!

My name is Rob and I am 41 yrs old.  I am engaged and getting married on June 21st and have my first tri this year on June 5th in Whiting, Indiana.  I'm currently using the custom plan functionality that BT provides and my volumes seem to be pretty good when I don't have a project finishing!  I've gotten outside once on the bike so far this year and supplement with spin classes.  I work from home so it alows for a great deal of flexibiliity.

Thanks for letting me join the group - if you let me that is!

2011-04-12 8:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Mass.

I want to join to!!

My name is Keith, I'm 35 and I've been running to stay fit for about five years now.  My cousin convinced me to do triathlons, so here I am.  Doing my first one (sprint) on June 5th.  Can't wait!  My weakness is the swim.  I have anchors for legs.  I can run pretty well though.  My saving grace.  Happy to be aboard!!

2011-04-12 9:14 AM

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA

(Feet shuffling at the dirt, head down, he looks up and says)

Can I join again?

My name is Court and I am so new I don't even know if I will be able to get to a race this year.  Having my back out for two months hasn't help either!  But on the brighter side, I am back to training and have in my sight two sprints, one in July and one in October.  I am married, have two girsl, three dogs, one cat and one turtle. 

My long term goals are to continue to build to compete in a 70.3 that we host in my home city.  Hope to be there next year.  Good luck everyone and welcome back to the oldies.

2011-04-12 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3441554

User image

Regular
Las Vegas
Good morning Kevin. I'm glad I'm not the only non swimmer in the group. I look forward to sharing stories about how I didn't drown today I'm planning on summer swim lessons so maybe I can do an olympic this fall. Baby steps "Just keep swimming...just keep swimming"

Edited by jend702 2011-04-12 9:22 AM
2011-04-12 9:58 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

Jen - we will sink or swim together

Charlie - nice to meet you

Iceman - great you are with us again

Brian P - nice to meet you

Rob and Keith, thanks for the hydrating advice in our last forum.

Court - Please tell me that 70.3 is the same time as the Masters - if it is I will be there Smile

Anyway - it is going to be nice to be along for the swim,bike and ride with all of you.

Have a great day everyone.

Bike and Swim planned for me today.

KC 

2011-04-12 10:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach

Hello,

I'd like to join if I may.

I am 46 years old tomorrow, and have signed up for three sprint tri's.  The first being on Mother's Day.  I have never tried triathlons before, but also being a strong type A personality, I've read a lot about it and have decided to take the plunge. I have completed 6 half marathons and enjoy  training for them since I have been a long distance runner since high school.  The biking and swimming however are another story.  Hence, why I am interestedin this group.  In my training I can't seem to get faster the 20 min. for a half mile swimming.  It is driving me crazy! 

After this season, which for me stops when the water gets cold as I do not have wet suit, I will switch my training for the Marine Corps Marathon held in October.

My goals are to finish with a smile on my face and improve times as I progress. I'd also like to lose 10 stubborn pounds.

I am married to a husband who is very supportive of my training.  I have a 16 year old daughter who is starting to do some 5Ks. And my almost 12 year old boy competes in boys' gymnastics-so active family.

I do post my training daily, but at first I think I was putting distance where times should have been.  So not realu sure on the accuracy.  Anyway, if you will be willing to train an older lady I'd love the advice.  Feel free to look at my logs if possible.

2011-04-12 10:32 AM
in reply to: #3442098

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
trigator01 - 2011-04-12 10:19 AM

Hello,

I'd like to join if I may.

I am 46 years old tomorrow, and have signed up for three sprint tri's.  The first being on Mother's Day.  I have never tried triathlons before, but also being a strong type A personality, I've read a lot about it and have decided to take the plunge. I have completed 6 half marathons and enjoy  training for them since I have been a long distance runner since high school.  The biking and swimming however are another story.  Hence, why I am interestedin this group.  In my training I can't seem to get faster the 20 min. for a half mile swimming.  It is driving me crazy! 

After this season, which for me stops when the water gets cold as I do not have wet suit, I will switch my training for the Marine Corps Marathon held in October.

My goals are to finish with a smile on my face and improve times as I progress. I'd also like to lose 10 stubborn pounds.

I am married to a husband who is very supportive of my training.  I have a 16 year old daughter who is starting to do some 5Ks. And my almost 12 year old boy competes in boys' gymnastics-so active family.

I do post my training daily, but at first I think I was putting distance where times should have been.  So not realu sure on the accuracy.  Anyway, if you will be willing to train an older lady I'd love the advice.  Feel free to look at my logs if possible.

Older lady?  LOL.  You kids crack me up.  Happy Birthday!

When legs are anchors, look to the upper body for the solution.   We don't kick hard in triathlon - wet suits make it unnecessary and we try to save energy and the legs for the bike and runs and kicking uses too much energy and provides little propellent. We kick to keep our legs up but the solution I learned was to keep my head down. Head down in the watter should bring the waist and butt up to the surface where you want them.  Masters Swimming has been great for me.  Breakthroughs come at times.  Now 2 years into it the latest is stroke efficiency.  Lowering stroke count, gliding and reducing RPE.  I'm so not fighting the water anymore - at least not as often - and it feels great.

Swam this morning, really good.  Quick (for me) 4.7 miles on the run last night felt good - form coming along.  Hard LT workout tonite on the computrainer.   Looking forward to it.  Leg holding up so far.  Rollers, yoga, all good.

Welcome everybody.  Have a great day! (Unless you made other plans)

ice

2011-04-12 11:17 AM
in reply to: #3442098

User image

Regular
Las Vegas

HAPPY BIRTHDAY trigator01 Smile

Edited by jend702 2011-04-12 11:19 AM
2011-04-12 11:20 AM

User image

Veteran
PA

Name: nakdboardr/Kevin (are we allowed to have 2 Kevin's in the group)

Story: I'm entering my second year of triathlons, with many years of running and sports in my past including a duathlon (it was called biathlon when I did it and it was sponsored by a beer company ) when I was in HS.  I'm 39 and did my first tri this past fall.  I am looking forward to doing many more tris in 2011.  I am working on my swimming (the GF is a swim coach so she keeps an eye on me—even though she thought I drowned in my first tri—my pic is me coming out of the water alive at the tri ) and running (it tanked this past year) I am currently living in PA. I have lived in NY, PA (2 times before), Puerto Rico, MD, OH, and NJ) and will be racing in the tri state area.

Family Status:  not married but have a GF and 2 cats

Current Training:
I have schedule 8 sprint triathlons from May through October-- so my training during the winter was to build a base...I am now going to add more workouts and some speed work outs to my training plan

2010 Races:
I did 1 sprint tri in September after I did not win the lottery into NYC marathon so I refocused my training to do a tri ( it was a dream and now it is an addiction)  Numerous road races up to a 10 miler

Weightloss goals: Weight is good right now got down to my race weight just need to maintain through the summer...

Anything else you would like to share: I am eager to learn more about the swimming and biking and fine tune my training. I have become addicted to tris so I will be a good motivator and provide lots of encouragement.

2011-04-12 11:32 AM

User image

Jackson, MS
I'm in, if you'll have me! Will post bio later.

2011-04-12 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3442147

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach
Thanks, I feel older as I look at posts, race ages etc.  But it does not bother me, I am having fun training.  Good to know I don't need to focus on the kicks so much.  Just need to keep building a base I suppose on the arms.
2011-04-12 11:36 AM
in reply to: #3442263

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach
Thanks Jen, I'll celebrate by doing brick work tomorrow.
2011-04-12 11:49 AM
in reply to: #3442298

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

trigator01 - 2011-04-12 11:33 AM Thanks, I feel older as I look at posts, race ages etc.  But it does not bother me, I am having fun training.  Good to know I don't need to focus on the kicks so much.  Just need to keep building a base I suppose on the arms.

Well we have to keep kicking in the pool ... but the effort is more in the form than strength...  Check out youtube for Total Immersion swimming.  The guy has great ideas on rolling side to side, keeping the head down, the butt up and using your core more than the arms.  Really great stuff. 

Edited by IceManScott 2011-04-12 12:37 PM
2011-04-12 12:35 PM

User image

Jackson, MS

NAME: Mary A

STORY: I'm 27 and starting year two of triathlons.  My husband (Mashmead) got me interested, and I love it so far!  Made a lot of progress in the last year.  Injured my IT band this winter with some poor training habits for a half marathon that I was unable to run.  My goal is to stay injury free this year.  I have crazy work hours and can't always train consistently (for instance, was either at work or sleeping all weekend).  Fingers crossed I'll be ready to race.

FAMILY: Married for two and half years now, with a high-maintenance black lab mix, Ellie.

CURRENT TRAINING: On the 8 week Olympic training plan.  Have done weeks 1 and 2, now restarting at week 1.  Mississippi Heatwave Olympic is June 4.  Have a mini sprint a few weeks before that.  Planning on the new NashVegas olympic in September (husband aiming for his first HIM same race).  Probably another local sprint or two in the mix.

2010 RACES: Tri for Life sprint last July, Stonebridge Ranch sprint last September, a few 5-ks.

Weightloss: Just maintaining, which is tough because I love some chocolate milk after training.

Planning on a 50min run and 45min bike today.  After my weekend hiatus, I'm ready to go.

Edited by Mary A 2011-04-12 12:43 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KC Mentor team RFP CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 97