BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KC Mentor team RFP CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2011-12-05 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3434497

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: Razorxp & KC Mentor team RFP CLOSED

Hey Team.

Laying low here but staying active for sure.

How is everyone?

Just wanted to let everyone know that Ironman is on NBC this Saturday 4:30-6:00 PM EST.

Have a great weeke everyone.

KC

2011-12-05 6:47 PM
in reply to: #3927101

User image

Veteran
kcgolf - 2011-12-05 4:02 PM

Hey Team.

How is everyone?

Just wanted to let everyone know that Ironman is on NBC this Saturday 4:30-6:00 PM EST.

KC

Thanks for the heads up on the broadcast.  I love listening to Al Trautwig - his delivery gets me pumped up.  I am training hard for a marathon, but may get intoa tri by the end of the weekend...Laughing

Hope your basement is back together. I certainly feel for you.  Happened to us about 5 years ago, no fun at all.

Got back into the pool today.  Swam next to a 70 year old guy that is there everyday.  He has not seen me since IM in August.  Asked me how much stamina I have lost since then Frown  Time to get back into it.

2011-12-05 10:45 PM
in reply to: #3927366

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Skinny Arm Brian - 2011-12-05 7:47 PM

Hey Team.

How is everyone?

KC

Thanks for the heads up on the broadcast.  I love listening to Al Trautwig - his delivery gets me pumped up.  I am training hard for a marathon, but may get intoa tri by the end of the weekend...Laughing

Hope your basement is back together. I certainly feel for you.  Happened to us about 5 years ago, no fun at all.

Got back into the pool today.  Swam next to a 70 year old guy that is there everyday.  He has not seen me since IM in August.  Asked me how much stamina I have lost since then Cry  Time to get back into it.

Hey Team.

Brian - basement back in order, just a pain in the you know where.

I seem to be suffering through a rash of injuries lately for some crazy reason. I sure hope this is not going to be a monthly thing though Frown.

Have had some ulnar nerve issues with right arm and for the last 2 days I have developed some tenderness under my right foot on the tendon in my arch leading to my big toe. Very tender to the touch and feels like there is a lump on the tendon. I changed the position of my cleats on my shoes to see if I could take some pressure of my right foot because my small toe ges numb when I ride and now I fear I have done some other damage.

I am off to see my physio guy tomorrow to see if he has any idea what to do. As is stands right now, if today was any indication of what is up, I may not be running or biking for a few days - which is seriously getting me down.

Take care team.

RFP

KC

2011-12-06 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
PA

So I am back training... Cool  After lots of read and advise re my running....I am working on running more (5-6 times a week)--the intensity for the winter will be MOSTLY easy with a few moderate runs in there.

My 7 runs ro far have been good.

Looking at doing 6 races next year with 3-4 of them being OLY distance.

2011-12-06 11:14 PM

User image

Expert

I am slowly starting to get back in the swing of things this week.  Got a short ride in on Sunday and run in tonight.  Gonna hit the pool tomorrow.  This has been alot tougher than I thought it was gonna be but Myles is starting to sleep a little better throught the nights - still day to day though.

It has been extremely tough to get back working out after taking over two weeks off.  feels good though.

2011-12-07 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3927583

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
kcgolf - 2011-12-05 10:45 PM
Skinny Arm Brian - 2011-12-05 7:47 PM

Hey Team.

How is everyone?

KC

Got back into the pool today.  Swam next to a 70 year old guy that is there everyday.  He has not seen me since IM in August.  Asked me how much stamina I have lost since then Cry  Time to get back into it.

Hey Team.

Brian - basement back in order, just a pain in the you know where.

I seem to be suffering through a rash of injuries lately for some crazy reason. I sure hope this is not going to be a monthly thing though Frown.

Have had some ulnar nerve issues with right arm and for the last 2 days I have developed some tenderness under my right foot on the tendon in my arch leading to my big toe. Very tender to the touch and feels like there is a lump on the tendon. I changed the position of my cleats on my shoes to see if I could take some pressure of my right foot because my small toe ges numb when I ride and now I fear I have done some other damage.

I am off to see my physio guy tomorrow to see if he has any idea what to do. As is stands right now, if today was any indication of what is up, I may not be running or biking for a few days - which is seriously getting me down.

Take care team.

RFP

KC

Did you slow down at all this fall?  I had a forced layoff that really has helped my body heal. yes, I feel a drop in max output but that is a good thing.  We've got to give ourselves time to relax and lighten up before starting to ramp up again.  If not, injury will occur.  Not if, when. 

2011-12-07 11:29 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

Kevin and Tim - nice job getting back at it.

Scott - I probably did not take enough time off to be honest and I really need to get better at that. I think I caught this foot injury in time and think it is going to be ok.

Hope everyone is doing well.

KC

2011-12-09 2:39 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

I hope everyone is well.

Weird thing happened in the pool today - it felt like I almost bonked when I was swimming - I am guessing that is what it was because I have not been doing this stuff long enough to understand what that even is exactly LOL Smile. The only way I can explain it is that after about 1500 meters I felt completely out of it - zero energy, a bit shaky - just plain weird? I hung in there for another 250 meters (drills and concentrating on form) but after that I packed it in. Oh well, I am sure it happens sometime. Now I am off for an hour on the trainer and a lifting session ( after a good lunch of course to get some energy back)

My foot problem is getting better after a few physio visits but I don't mind telling you, with 8 1/2 months to go, I feel more like an old man some days (aches and weird pains) then a possible Ironman Laughing.

Have a great weekend everyone and don't forget to watch the Ironman tomorrow 4:30-6:00 on NBC.

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2011-12-10 12:38 PM
2011-12-11 6:42 PM

User image

Veteran

That stuff absolutley happens.  Shrug it off, eat and rest, come back for the next scheduled activity and don't try to make up for it.  These bad days are why we love it so much wehn we have  truly great workout.

I have IM dvr'ed to watch later this week.  was not able to see tv on Sat.

Got in some nice runs and even a bike in this sub 20 degree temps we are having.  Looks like warmer temps coming back to Indy this week.

2011-12-12 10:47 PM

User image

Expert
P90X is kicking my butt!  I couldn't even drink my coffee this morning cause I couldn't lift my hands anywhere near my face - ouch! 3 weeks off is coming back to haunt me -haha
2011-12-15 10:29 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Morning Team.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Brian.

Tim - stick with it my friend.

I have had a bit of a set back over the past week unfortunately with this foot injury. I thought it was going to be ok but so far, not much progress with physio and it is starting to worry me. Well over a week ago I started to get this pain in my right foot between my big toe and heel. Upon closer examination a strange and very sensitive lump about the size of a pea appeared. I was still running at the time but knew that I better have someone take a look. As of yesterday my physio guy is still trying to figure it out. 3 days a week with ultra sound, electric therapy, massage, ice, tape for support and still no progress and it is getting me down. The pain is not severe but I know if I run it will only get worse Cry. Have any of you experienced anything like this? I have done some research and we think it might be a plantar fibroma which may or may not go away with physio - and the may not go away idea is not one I am very thrilled about. I WANT TO RUN LOL!

To top that off - I decided to get up at 5:30 this morning for a nice ride on the trainer (better for my foot then running right now) and below you will see the resulting picture. Some of you may remember earlier this summer when I posted a few pictures of my first spill on my bike - right in my garage Embarassed. Well, this one is even more embarrasing - this morning I fell of my bike when I was on my trainer - right to the cement floor of my basement - bruised hip, sore shoulder, wounded pride but at least no one saw me LOL. For some reason, while doing some power intervals, I was really pushing the pedals simulating some hill work with serious resistance and the right side adjustment of the trainer gave way and down I went Laughing. I started laughing as soon as I was sure I did not break anything and decided to take a picture of the scene to share with all of you for a laugh.

Oh well team - only one thing to say: RFP

(FYI - I did finish the ride once I got the bike back in the trainer)

Have a great day everyone and hope you like the picture Smile

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2011-12-15 12:35 PM

(bikecrash2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bikecrash2.jpg (45KB - 9 downloads)

2011-12-15 10:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
KC, glad you survived the tumble! Have not had anything similar in the foot dept I'm afraid so can't help you there. The closest I have come to a foot issue is my stupid neuroma that gives me issues when I up mileage. Hope you can figure it out though. --------- so I have temporarily crossed over to the dark side and I'm doing Jamie Eason's 12 week trainer. Im LOVING it and It's kicking my butt but I'm hopeful it will put me in a good position to come back strong to s/b/r in a couple more weeks. ------- Hope everyone is well - KC is your bike ok?
2011-12-15 11:10 AM
in reply to: #3939659

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
kcgolf - 2011-12-15 10:29 AM

Good Morning Team.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Brian.

Tim - stick with it my friend.

I have had a bit of a set back over the past week unfortunately with this foot injury. I thought it was going to be ok but so far, not much progress with physio and it is starting to worry me. Well over a week ago I started to get this pain in my right foot between my big toe and heel. Upon closer examination a strange and very sensitive lump about the size of a pea appeared. I was still running at the time but knew that I better have someone take a look. As of yesterday my physio guy is still trying to figure it out. 3 days a week with ultra sound, electric therapy, massage, ice, tape for support and still no progress and it is getting me down. The pain is not severe but I know if I run it will only get worse Cry. Have any of you experienced anything like this? I have done some research and we think it might be a plantar fibroma which may or may not go away with physio - and the may not go away idea is not one I am very thrilled about. I WANT TO RUN LOL!

To top that off - I decided to get up at 5:30 this morning for a nice ride on the trainer (better for my foot then running right now) and below you will see the resulting picture. Some of you may remember earlier this summer when I posted a few pictures of my first spill on my bike - right in my garage Embarassed. Well, this one is even more embarrasing - this morning I fell of my bike when I was on my trainer - right to the cement floor of my basement - bruised hip, sore shoulder, wounded pride but at least no one saw me LOL. For some reason, while doing some power intervals, I was really pushing the pedals simulating some hill work with serious resistance and the right side adjustment of the trainer gave way and down I went Laughing. I started laughing as soon as I was sure I did not break anything and decided to take a picture of the scene to share with all of you for a laugh.

Oh well team - only one thing to say: RFP

(FYI - I did finish the ride once I get the bike back in the trainer)

Have a great day everyone and hope you like the picture Smile

KC

I've never worn a helmet indoors.  maybe I should rethink that.

Sorry about the foot.  Better now than at the peak of the competition year.

2011-12-15 12:32 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

Deb - thanks and bike seems to be ok. Good luck with that program, I took a look at it on line and it looks great.

Scott - great idea, at least for me anywaySmile and you are right, better now with the foot so I can figure it out.

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2011-12-15 12:34 PM
2011-12-15 4:48 PM

User image

Expert

KC - I am glad you are ok and didn't get hurt - but that is pretty funny.  I agree with Scott and you should be wearing your helmet while on the trainer (along with knee pads and gloves).

So I starting to feel a little better muscle wise but now I have another issue - I am a total hyprocondriac (sp?) and always worry about getting sick.  Well my company required us to to health screenings last week for insurance.  I came back with a 100% score which I was happy about but as I was looking at the report it gave three lab results that were out of range that has me kind of concerned:

• AST (Goal 2.00 - 50.00) My Reading is 236
  • ALT (Goal 2.00 - 60.00) My Reading is 96
  • LD (Goal 100-250.00) My reading is 323

I did do the P90X the night before and I did a swim the morning of so from the research I have done that might explain the AST and LD levels (something about muscle enzymes breaking down) but the one that concerns me is the ALT as that should not be affected by excersise (or at least what they say online).  Does anyone know about this?  I scheduled an appointment for the doc on Dec.27 so we will see.  The ALT number points toward major liver issues but I would think I would be jaundice etc...  I feel great but very anxious to talk to the doc.

Hopefully it is nothing...

2011-12-15 8:07 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hi Tim.

Sorry, I can't help you with those numbers and if they should cause you any concern. I think you are on the right track with making sure you follow up with the doctor however.

KC

2011-12-15 8:34 PM

User image

Jackson, MS

I can help some with those numbers!  ALT and AST are markers for "hepatocellular" aka liver injury.  First off, your numbers are mild to moderately elevated.  I had a patient a month ago with AST/ALT in the 5-digit range--that would be bad. 

Liver enzymes can be elevated for any number of reasons, and I would get it checked out.  Honestly, would start with just rechecking those basic labs again.  ?fluke ?blood mixup ?who knows. 

I would definitely bring up the amount that you exercise--and that you had done so before the lab test.  Strenuous activity (aka p90x) can elevate these.  AST more than ALT, like you said, but still both.  I would take it easy for a day or two before your appointment, so if the redraw is abnormal you'll know it wasn't the p90x.

You're right that ALT is more specific for liver injury.  There are tons of reasons for those to be abnormal from the liver and not just exercise, and not all of them are terrible...genetic things, gallbladder issues, infections...Workup isn't too bad. This will consist of a battery of lab tests, mostly.  Your doc will need to decide how aggressive to be in getting an actual diagnosis. 

Jaundice is caused by bilirubin build up in the body (would be on the lab report as t bili and d bili, meaning total and direct bilirubin).  Has to get pretty high before you can actually see it in your skin.  Would also help to know if your alkaline phosphatase (alk phos) is normal.

Again, really just need to recheck a liver panel WITHOUT exercise to make sure there really is something going on.  So I wouldn't worry!

P.S.  So hi, everyone.  I have the forum replies sent to my email, so I've been checking what you've been up to.  I have a half marathon in a few weeks (logs are NOT up to date). 

This will be more a completion than a race, though.  Longest I've gone is just over 9 miles.  We'll see. 

2011-12-16 5:56 AM

User image

Veteran

Mary - welcome back, good luck with 1/2 marathon. 

Tim - I am glad we have a doctor in the group to explain those things for us.  Good luck with it, glad that the rest was 100%

KC - you cannot catch a break.  you know how when golfers hit bad shots it is always funny?  Well I think we all would have had to laugh at the guy on his basement floor that fell off the trainer Foot in mouth

I am glad you are ok from that, but still concerned about the foot issue.  Best wishes on gettnig that figured out soon.

Marathon training is ramping up.  16 miler tomorrow.  Have a good weekend everybody!

2011-12-18 6:06 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Hi Everyone! Sorry I have been away for a while mentally and on vacation. Trying to get my A$$ back in gear but not working very good.I will catch up with what everyone is doing this week.

On another note I see they are doing a new mentor program, what is everyone's plan? I understand if you guys want some new motivation and ideas but I really do enjoy you guys so I would do it as long as some of the core group helps out. I have to get through a few back issues and I will be in full swing so I will be back online all the time.Let me know what you guys think!!

Train safe and have a great Christmas and New Year! (yes I did say Christmas its not a bad word to me lol)

Edited by razorxp 2011-12-19 9:21 AM
2011-12-18 6:30 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

I am all in Coach - whatever you need!

Mary - great to see you.

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2011-12-18 6:30 PM
2011-12-18 6:50 PM

User image

Veteran
I am in.  Looking forward to continuing the RFP group.

2011-12-18 8:50 PM

User image

Jackson, MS

I'm in! 

Ran 10.5 miles today!  Felt great.  Really kicked it into gear for the last 2 miles, with a short cool down.

2011-12-18 8:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I'm in.  Here in this thread or are you starting a new one.
2011-12-19 8:53 AM
in reply to: #3940609

User image

Expert

Thanks for that info Mary!! Make sme feel alot better.  To steal a line from Scott - "You Rock!!"  I'm still gonna go to Doc on 27th so we'll see what happens.

Mary A - 2011-12-15 8:34 PM

I can help some with those numbers!  ALT and AST are markers for "hepatocellular" aka liver injury.  First off, your numbers are mild to moderately elevated.  I had a patient a month ago with AST/ALT in the 5-digit range--that would be bad. 

Liver enzymes can be elevated for any number of reasons, and I would get it checked out.  Honestly, would start with just rechecking those basic labs again.  ?fluke ?blood mixup ?who knows. 

I would definitely bring up the amount that you exercise--and that you had done so before the lab test.  Strenuous activity (aka p90x) can elevate these.  AST more than ALT, like you said, but still both.  I would take it easy for a day or two before your appointment, so if the redraw is abnormal you'll know it wasn't the p90x.

You're right that ALT is more specific for liver injury.  There are tons of reasons for those to be abnormal from the liver and not just exercise, and not all of them are terrible...genetic things, gallbladder issues, infections...Workup isn't too bad. This will consist of a battery of lab tests, mostly.  Your doc will need to decide how aggressive to be in getting an actual diagnosis. 

Jaundice is caused by bilirubin build up in the body (would be on the lab report as t bili and d bili, meaning total and direct bilirubin).  Has to get pretty high before you can actually see it in your skin.  Would also help to know if your alkaline phosphatase (alk phos) is normal.

Again, really just need to recheck a liver panel WITHOUT exercise to make sure there really is something going on.  So I wouldn't worry!

P.S.  So hi, everyone.  I have the forum replies sent to my email, so I've been checking what you've been up to.  I have a half marathon in a few weeks (logs are NOT up to date). 

This will be more a completion than a race, though.  Longest I've gone is just over 9 miles.  We'll see. 

2011-12-19 9:10 AM

User image

Expert
I am in for next session - I am gonna need all the support I can get!Surprised
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KC Mentor team RFP CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 97