Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2011-08-21 7:06 AM
in reply to: #3434844

User image

Regular
Everywhere
Subject: RE: jmk-brooklyn's group-- FULL

thank you will try those tips im running with a friend today so that will help aswell.

2011-08-21 7:10 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Dave- Congrats getting back into running. Getting out the door is sometimes the hardest part. I agree that as long as you have a fitness base (like you've run for 30 mins non-stop in the recent past) there is no reason to walk. Slowing your pace is the better option. It's mostly mental. I have days where I want walk after running only 1-2 miles, but I tell myself "hey you've run 13.1 without stopping, so physically you have no reason to walk, just get through it." And after about half a mile of slower running, I feel better and can pick up the pace again.

Just finished my 1st century in UT. 106 miles. The first 76 were great. The last 30 seemed like a torturous, never-ending, uphill, wind tunnel. But I made it.  

2011-08-21 8:32 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
Wow, Jackie. That's fantastic!!! I've never been anywhere near 100 miles (just 20, so far!) so I can't relate. But, I'm amazed & inspired! 2012 will be the year I ride a century.

Great job!
2011-08-22 11:39 AM
in reply to: #3652863

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
jpbis26 - 2011-08-21 7:10 PM

Dave- Congrats getting back into running. Getting out the door is sometimes the hardest part. I agree that as long as you have a fitness base (like you've run for 30 mins non-stop in the recent past) there is no reason to walk. Slowing your pace is the better option. It's mostly mental. I have days where I want walk after running only 1-2 miles, but I tell myself "hey you've run 13.1 without stopping, so physically you have no reason to walk, just get through it." And after about half a mile of slower running, I feel better and can pick up the pace again.

Just finished my 1st century in UT. 106 miles. The first 76 were great. The last 30 seemed like a torturous, never-ending, uphill, wind tunnel. But I made it.  

Congratulations! 30 miles of torture sounds like no fun at all. I want to find a century where the first 30 miles is the hard part and the last 70 is easy and fun. Unfortunately, they don't seem to come that way....
2011-08-30 1:08 PM

Hi Everybody,

It’s been a while… took a long (way too long) break after my tri in Singapore.

Just rushed through all the posts I missed.  Well done Kelly on finishing your race under those whether conditions!

Great Oly tri Blinddave … 2.52 is fast for me. You will see mine (Oly tri in Sing) was 3.12.

Jackie, what a ride…. 106 miles? Max I have done was 100km… So I know that 30 miles could be torture..

Dana, Good to hear from you again… and great to see that you are getting back on track much stronger…

Jonah, hope you are doing well in your training for the HIM. Good luck!

Coming back to me.. I am really angry with myself for taking a break for a whole month. I was comforting by body too much and paid the price with 3 extra kgs added. I trained only two days during this period.

Determined to get in to a solid programme by the end of this week.

My upcoming races:

A sprint tri – 2nd week of October – This is South Asian beach games, taking place on the southern beach in Sri Lanka (Swim - 500m, Bike – 10 km, Run – 5 km)

HIM in Feb next year.

If somebody reading this, could you please give the meanings of the following terms (Sorry about my ignorance)

Kelly – LI

Jackie – UT

Blinddave – t1, t2, t3 & tbh

Sujith

2011-09-01 9:38 AM

Sujith, it's good to hear from you again.  I've been a little lacking in my training as well; sometimes other things just get in the way.  Don't beat yourself up; the good thing is that you are back and training for your next race.  With regard to your questions on abbreviations, I think I can help (anyone correct me if I'm wrong)

LI-that's Long Island, where I live. Even though we are a part of New York, we tend to think of ourselves as our own part of the US Smile

t1, t2-these are abbreviations for the First and Second Transitions in a race. 

TBH-this is short for To Be Honest

UT-Jackie was referring to the state of Utah. 

Jonah,  did you hear about the Rock and Roll 10K in Prospect Park in October.  Curious what you thought.

My last triathlon was cancelled because of Hurricane Irene, so now there's a lot of controversy over not getting refunds of our race fees.  Obviously they had to cancel the race, but it upset some people that we are not getting any part of a refund back, as the race director says that they have already spent the money and promised the affiliated charitable organizations their donations.  They are given reduced entry fees for next year's race, but the discount hasn't been determined at this point.  My next, and last race of 2011 is on 9/25, which I'm looking forward to (and also have to get back to training), then I can plan 2012, which I'm excited about.  One of my goals is to complete an Olympic distance; I just have to find a good race for beginners within driving distance.

Hope everyone is enjoying themselves as the end of summer nears.

-Kelly

2011-09-03 10:10 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Sujith,

A timley topic for me. I totally agree with Kelly. Sometimes you need breaks. I look at it this way, I have the rest of my life to do triathlons (God willing), so what's the rush? After my bike century, I was feeling a little sick of training. So I took a break. And I decided not to feel guilty about it. I really like cycling, so the last thing I want to do is burn myself out.

So instead of riding 3-4 times a week, I've only been riding once a week for the past 2 weeks. And guess what? Those rides feel great! I feel really strong and RESTED. If anything, these past 2 weeks have taught me that recovery is more important than I thought (both physical recovery and mental recovery).

Jonah- Good luck in your upcoming HIM! 

2011-09-05 6:12 AM

Hi Kelly and Jackie,

Thanks for your replies.... your comments are always a boost!

I again had a sleeping issue. thinking of seeing a doc.

BTW, I am planing to invest in a good heart rate monitor ( With the gadget fixed to the shoe to measure the distance as well) and also a good walk man. ( Hey I have heard that there are ones  you can use while swimming as well?)

Any tips and hints?

Cheers!

Sujith

2011-09-24 12:34 PM

User image

Regular
Everywhere

Hi All,

I hope every one is well. I've been so busy with my Wife and kids going back to school that getting out to train has been hard, I've managed to get a swim and run in this week and if I can I'll cycle to work.

2011-10-02 12:55 PM

User image

Regular
Everywhere
Got a new pair of cycling shoes waiting for pedals to turn up, wondering if i can get to grips with both before the weekend...
2011-10-07 7:26 AM

User image

Regular
Everywhere
So ive got my new shoes cleats and pedals, ive been riding shimano spds for years but getting to grips with the "look" style cleat/pedals ive come off my bike 4 times practising flying starts    might change em back before Sunday we shall see how Saturday goes

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jmk-brooklyn's group-- FULL Rss Feed  

of 16