Pikes Peak Road Runners
29F / -2C
Sunny
Total Time = 29m 14s
Overall Rank = 24/24
Age Group = 30
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Didn't really have one. Just woke up early, ate half a cup of yogurt and was out the door. I was anxious and nervous. This was my first run race EVER! I didn't want to embarrass myself too much. But it was a real easy race. 2 miles and the winner is the person who improves the most over their base time. Since I came in last I stand a good chance of winning next month.
Event warmup:

Talking. Didn't really stretch or anything. It was too darn cold! We had a snow storm two days before the race but the trail was clear and all was good.
Run
  • 29m 14s
  • 2 miles
  • 14m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Running outside is nothing like running on the treadmill. It's a lot more difficult. And on the treadmill I have the timer to tell me when I should stop. Meaning I run so many minutes then stop. Outside I only have my devilish thoughts who want me to be lazier than I am. But I also have the cheers of the crowd. They were really nice. Poor guys had to wait so long on me. There were people finished with the two miles in the the time it took me to do ONE! But they graciously waited until I finished and cheered me at the finish line which I thought was very nice.
On a positive note, I started running only four weeks ago and even then I could only one 1 min w/o stopping. I am sure that I ran at least 8-10 min w/o stopping on this race because I've never broken 2 miles on the treadmill in under 29 min. So overall I was faster than my treadmill time. My goal is to do the 5k in 30 min, that puts me at a 10 min mile. I'm sure if I ran all the way I could meet that goal. So I have to shave 9 min off this 2 mile run for next month. A challenge but one I'm capable of. HEY EVERYONE I COMPETED IN MY FIRST RUN RACE EVER! WOO! HOO!
What would you do differently?:

I would STRETCH!!!! I didn't stretch at all and my legs started to burn very early.
Post race
Warm down:

Well, this probably wasn't a good thing but I warmed down with a 1/2 mile in the pool right after the race. My muscles were tight but WOO DOGGIES, I broke 17 min on my swim for the first time and set a new PB!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I've got a big butt among big other things!

Event comments:

Great race overall. It was a little low key which was great. All the people were nice enough to wait on my slow butt anyway which in my book places them as a top-notch operation.

Last updated: 2004-03-08 11:09 PM
Running
00:29:14 | 02 miles | 14m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 24/24
Performance: Good
Course: The course was beautiful! You ran along a cold mountain creek and you could see Pikes Peak Mountain in the distance. Even though it snowed the trail was relatively clear of ice and snow. It was flat, Thank You Lord!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No