Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 84

2011-12-11 6:20 PM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED
Gabe,

Happy Birthday! And check your messages.

Chris

2011-12-12 7:20 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Thank you all for your kind Birthday wishes!  I had a nice relaxing time with the family plus a day off from training!

After reading Mitch's post about how cold it was during his morning run along with Scott's comment about running in shorts when it goes up to 40F in Colorado, I promise not to complain about getting cold down here in Guatemala.

Chris, I just responded your message and yes, I was getting my MBA at Kellogg at the same time that you were teaching there!   This proves again that it is such a small world that I like to say that you should always "somewhat behave", because you never know when its going to come back to you...Wink

2011-12-12 7:20 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Double post

Edited by sirgab 2011-12-12 7:22 PM
2011-12-13 10:14 AM

User image

Master

Had a great workout this morning!  45 minutes on the Drainer followed by 25 minutes on the treadmill.  I'm trying to ramp up my cycling while layering in running on top to maintain my base.  My goal is then to sprinkle in swimming until I get to an acceptable volume to improve endurance and speed.

What I love about BT is my ability to record fitness data and then look back in time to see where I was compared to today.  I'm doing a similar cycling plan as I did last winter so I looked back at the corresponding workout that matches today's in the plan.  Made me feel good to see progress:

Jan 4, 2011: Avg Spd 14.78; Avg HR 152; Max HR 174

Today: Avg Spd 16.28; Avg HR 151; Max HR 160

I'm actually excited to take the power test next Tuesday to see where I am compared to when I started last year.  Ideally I should be comparing to where I finished last year - but I didn't cycle much at all this season due to focsuing on running.  We shall see!

Chris:  What do you teach?  I went to Michigan for my MBA but have always had a lot of respect for Northwestern.  Its on the "approved" list for colleges for my daughters.

2011-12-13 9:26 PM
in reply to: #3936531

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Mitch,

I teach economics at Minnesota now. When I was checking Gabe's profile (and following his links) I saw he went to Northwestern's business school at the same time I was a faculty member there. But he didn't take my course. (Foolish, foolish) Small world indeed!

I've really been taking it easier in the training. Haven't swum in a while and have been doing about 1/2 hour bouts on the drainer. I only ran one of the weekend days, but did try to make up for it by running 14 miles on Sunday. I think the combination of the holidays and the November challenge took a lot out of me.
2011-12-14 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3937613

User image

Master

chris2533 - 2011-12-13 9:26 PM Mitch, I teach economics at Minnesota now. When I was checking Gabe's profile (and following his links) I saw he went to Northwestern's business school at the same time I was a faculty member there. But he didn't take my course. (Foolish, foolish) Small world indeed! I've really been taking it easier in the training. Haven't swum in a while and have been doing about 1/2 hour bouts on the drainer. I only ran one of the weekend days, but did try to make up for it by running 14 miles on Sunday. I think the combination of the holidays and the November challenge took a lot out of me.

Cool.  I was an economics major at Michigan.  I wasn't sure if anyone here would have heard of the author of my sig-line quote...I'm guessing at least a handful of our merry band does.  What econ classes do you teach?

I've been going through some of the training struggles you have.  Part of it is the level of activities going on this month with the holidays and prep for big family events.  I'm not getting enough sleep (if I get up to train) and it impacts me the following day. 

Edited by dangremond 2011-12-14 7:41 AM

2011-12-14 8:04 AM

User image

Master
Dallas

Still no training here, completely out of focus now with a ton of work all the way until the 29th. After that I should be back full steam in fitness mode. Resuming swims after Jan 1st as well with the team. The other good news is that my new Computrainer is sitting in its box in my office, it was delivered yesterday but I'm out of town so I can't wait to go try it.

Cheers!

2011-12-14 7:10 PM

User image

Regular
Colorado Springs

Great progress Mitch!  That is the one great thing about keeping a log is to see progress over time.  I was looking back at my records and noticed I've run 962 miles so far this year including the 6.16 miles today in 50:53 (avg HR 147).  I think I should make it to just over 1000 miles for the year by the end of December.  The bike miles aren't as good due to spending most of the first half of the year training for the San Diego marathon.

Last week wasn't so good for training due to it being the last week of the semester and I was swamped with grading (I teach at the US Air Force Academy).  Now that finals are over I should be able to get back into a routine.  If the stars line up just right I might even make it to the pool for a drowning session.  Jennie is taking a few days off due to a slight fall she took yesterday and tweaked her ankle.  She should be back running in a couple of days.

2011-12-14 7:32 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

I've been keeping up with most of my trainings except Monday, the day after my birthday because I was exhausted and took at as an extra day off.

Today I had a 5k test at the track in the morning and then finally gave in and joined a gym in order to be able to swim anytime of day.  Today was my first swim with some of the top triathletes in Guatemala and it was exhausting trying to keep up with them (but I guess what doesn't kill you makes you stronger).  And now to end my day, I have to go to a Christmas party, but will need to behave a little since tomorrow morning is long run Smile

On a separate note, I got a new pair of Asics Gel Noosa's for my birthday which are really cool looking and today I tried them and totally love them.  Here is a link  http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-ASNSAM1.html

Hope everyone is doing well!

2011-12-14 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3938913

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2011-12-14 7:32 PM

I've been keeping up with most of my trainings except Monday, the day after my birthday because I was exhausted and took at as an extra day off.

Today I had a 5k test at the track in the morning and then finally gave in and joined a gym in order to be able to swim anytime of day.  Today was my first swim with some of the top triathletes in Guatemala and it was exhausting trying to keep up with them (but I guess what doesn't kill you makes you stronger).  And now to end my day, I have to go to a Christmas party, but will need to behave a little since tomorrow morning is long run Smile

On a separate note, I got a new pair of Asics Gel Noosa's for my birthday which are really cool looking and today I tried them and totally love them.  Here is a link  http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-ASNSAM1.html

Hope everyone is doing well!

Swimming with other swimmers will make you incredibly faster, you'll see in a few weeks. Once you acquire a taste for the group swims it is really hard to swim  a big set on your own.

About the shoes, we triathletes are some flashy people, huh? I include myself in this bunch, my shoes have screaming colors.

2011-12-14 8:01 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN

2011-12-14 9:33 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Scott,

Marathon training will get the running miles up. I'm at 1126 miles so far this year. I was hoping for 1243 (2000 kilometers), but I'm not going to run 116 miles in the next two weeks. Oh well.
2011-12-15 5:43 AM
in reply to: #3939039

User image

Expert
Guatemala

chris2533 - 2011-12-14 8:33 PM Scott, Marathon training will get the running miles up. I'm at 1126 miles so far this year. I was hoping for 1243 (2000 kilometers), but I'm not going to run 116 miles in the next two weeks. Oh well.

Hey Chris, I was like wow, you have run a lot of miles and then checked mine out of curiosity and I'm also up there with you with 1,142 miles (in 176 Hrs).  It's incredible how easily you rack them when training for a marathon and other smaller races!  I have also biked 2,288 miles to date!  Never would I though I was going to do all this at the beginning of the year, when I started setting up my goals and doing my first tris!

2011-12-15 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3938883

User image

Master
scottputnam - 2011-12-14 7:10 PM

Great progress Mitch!  That is the one great thing about keeping a log is to see progress over time.  I was looking back at my records and noticed I've run 962 miles so far this year including the 6.16 miles today in 50:53 (avg HR 147).  I think I should make it to just over 1000 miles for the year by the end of December.  The bike miles aren't as good due to spending most of the first half of the year training for the San Diego marathon.

Last week wasn't so good for training due to it being the last week of the semester and I was swamped with grading (I teach at the US Air Force Academy).  Now that finals are over I should be able to get back into a routine.  If the stars line up just right I might even make it to the pool for a drowning session.  Jennie is taking a few days off due to a slight fall she took yesterday and tweaked her ankle.  She should be back running in a couple of days.

Lot of professors in this group.  What do you teach?  I had an appointment to the Air Force Academy out of high school (years ago) but elected to go the ROTC route with the Navy instead.  Spent about 6 years in the US Navy after college.

2011-12-16 12:56 PM

User image

Master
<<crickets>>
2011-12-16 3:09 PM
in reply to: #3941378

User image

Master
Dallas

dangremond - 2011-12-16 12:56 PM <>
Mitch, I couldn't agree more. The thread has lost steam. Hey, I assembled the trainer yesterday, that thing is super complicated and all the software and manuals are tedious but I've been reading dcrainmaker's in depth review of the Computrainer and I love it already. Lots of workouts coming up on that thing...

The good thing is that all I have to do is get home and change, the bike will be already set up. I looked at the videos yesterday and they are incredibly realistic (HD). I highly recommend it for someone that's looking at improving on the bike.

Also, in the last two weeks two people got killed while riding their bikes, another thing to keep in mind, there's a lot of distracted motorists out there texting or reading their emails while driving!

2011-12-16 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3941530

User image

Master
ernestov - 2011-12-16 3:09 PM

dangremond - 2011-12-16 12:56 PM <>
Mitch, I couldn't agree more. The thread has lost steam. Hey, I assembled the trainer yesterday, that thing is super complicated and all the software and manuals are tedious but I've been reading dcrainmaker's in depth review of the Computrainer and I love it already. Lots of workouts coming up on that thing...

The good thing is that all I have to do is get home and change, the bike will be already set up. I looked at the videos yesterday and they are incredibly realistic (HD). I highly recommend it for someone that's looking at improving on the bike.

Also, in the last two weeks two people got killed while riding their bikes, another thing to keep in mind, there's a lot of distracted motorists out there texting or reading their emails while driving!

I plan on doing a super majority of my bike training in the next year on my trainer.  Hopefully once a week I'll be able to drive to one of our metro parks and cycle in relative safety.

2011-12-17 7:10 AM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Hello All. Sorry for the silence. Run club this morning. Currently 22 F. Ran 4.5 miles in 18 F yesterday. Fine. Get outside everyone!
2011-12-17 1:25 PM

User image

Master
I finally got my pain cave set up. I'll try to post a pic later today.  Mounted a small LCD TV, had the cable hooked up, and installed a DVD player too.  I have the treadmill and bike on trainer side by side and a big fan in front.  All ready to go! 
2011-12-17 3:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Back at it after 10 days off, partially due to work and partially just needing a break. This has been the longest block of time I've taken off in more than a year. I'll formulate my 2012 goals within the next few weeks. I have 2 goals already, loose 20 pounds before June and spend a lot more time in swimming technique and cycling. 

Edited by baurryman 2011-12-17 3:02 PM
2011-12-17 4:44 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Ernesto, glad to hear that you got your new CT, let us know your first impressions after you get to use it.

Mitch, glad to hear you have your pain cave all set up, enjoy!  

Kuddos to you Chris for running in those temperatures!

On my side, I have been keeping up with most of my trainings (2 X day) and today was a 3 hr/41 Mi bike ride with good climbing and strong headwinds.  

Hope everyone has a good weekend

2011-12-17 5:58 PM

User image

Regular
Colorado Springs
Sorry for the silence from here too.  No training for me since Wednesday.  Work and holiday stuff have been higher priority the past few days.  The plan is to get in a long run tomorrow though.  I teach Astronautics at the Academy.  It's a lot of fun but I'm glad for the two week break for the holidays.  I'm hoping to actually ramp up training now that there's no work for a bit.  Jennie and I will have to take turns training since the kids are out of school but I think we can manage.  The day after Christmas is the week Jennie and I start doing some hill training to start getting ready for speed workouts in preparation for a 10k we will be doing at the end of March.
2011-12-17 8:51 PM

User image

Master
Ernesto - Jan Mentor groups forming now...assuming you will mentor and allow us mentee's to roll ahead with you?
2011-12-18 8:14 AM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

I too have to apologise for the silence. It is like an off season for me here too, since I could only dream of riding a bike, what to speak of swimming. On top of that a large part of North Bogota is flooded and my previous plans to join the tri fans are pretty much dead.  However, I just came back from a 21k run! Managed to do it in 'blistering' 2:04 and that includes some walking, as I could not possibly run this distance non-stop here. I missed oxygen again...  As I was walking home, the local running club was staging a 10k race and I wish I signed up for that one instead, would be fun to share the pain with others. Interesting thing - they ran on the streets that were not closed to traffic at all! Good thing it's Sunday morning...

2011-12-18 8:28 AM
in reply to: #3942530

User image

Master
Dallas

dangremond - 2011-12-17 8:51 PM Ernesto - Jan Mentor groups forming now...assuming you will mentor and allow us mentee's to roll ahead with you?

Absolutely, I will accept new people as well.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84