Highlands Ranch Run Series
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 21m 14s
Overall Rank = 6/183
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/27
Pre-race routine:

Up @ 6:45 am and had a Clif Bar and banana. Drove to the race and set up the shoe collection bins for OWR. Still had 45 minutes until race time so I ran home and hung out, then ran back.
Event warmup:

Mile warmup and stretching.
Run
  • 21m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Started at the front based on last year's results. I run this trail a lot so I tried to stay below redline going up the first major hill. Tried to maintain a good effort so that I wasn't totally out of the race but also kept things somewhat in check. Tried to recover after the climb and then settle into some sort of pace. 8th place at this point and was quickly passed so I stayed with that guy. At the turnaround, we caught 6th place and we ran together for about a 1/4 mile or so. We were now running into a slight headwind and the guy I was running side by side with started to drop back a bit. My thought was he was going to try to draft me so as soon as he started to move back, I put in a pretty good surge and he faded.
Hit the scenic overlook and knew it was all downhill from there so I opened it up as best as I could. Finished strong but my quads were complaining.
What would you do differently?:

Probably could have pushed more. First race in six months, running has just started to ramp up.
Post race
Warm down:

1.5 mile cd. Quads started to cramp up a bit! Chatted with Steve (StMaas) for a bit and hung around forever for the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Relative conditioning, race layoff. Killer course.

Event comments:

You know it's not a PR course going into it so treat it as a challenge. Nice shirts, easy check in, lots of volunteers.
Couple of beefs: the start/finish just doesn't work. It's basically a tight horseshoe which was really tough on the finish.
Awards ceremony: didn't start until well after 10:30 am. This is two hours after the race started. For 5k racers, this was an hour and a half wait. And to boot, they did the 10k awards first so that added another 10 mintues. Didn't get out of there until almost 11:00 am, which was a 2.5 hour commitment for a 21 minute race.

Last updated: 2011-03-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:14 | 03.11 miles | 06m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/27
Overall: 6/183
Performance: Good
Mile 1 (7:56); Mile 2 (6:48); Mile 3 (6:28)
Course: Started @ Red Tail park then a 300 foot ascent through the first 3/4 mile. More level at the top with mild rollers and then turn around for return. All on fine cinder/gravel trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes