General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica South Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Nautica South Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Miami, Florida
United States
Michael Epstein Sports Productions
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 24m 29s
Overall Rank = 586/662
Age Group = Clydes 200+
Age Group Rank = 22/24
Pre-race routine:

We left Tampa Saturday am and headed towards Tampa. Got to our friends where we were staying. HUng out talked and then headed down to the beach. Checked in and picked up packets. Scanned the expo and walked around took a few pictures, looked at the sand castle and then my wife went to make some signs with a friend pof hers at the Jamis sign booth.\
Left from the expo and went to have dinner at about 5, ate at an Italian place right on 5th 2 blocks up from Ocean, Bufalito or something like that. Dinner was good, no wine though, had I known what my day would have been coming up I would have dove in a bottle ;)
Head back to the house get the numbers mounted everything packed prepped coffee and drinks for th morning.
Headed down to the pool, sat in the hot tub ( then was told this was probably a bad idea for your muscles the night before, not sure) Went to bed about 10
Event warmup:

3:59 wake up look at phone and say sweet I have 16 more minutes to rest, 4:00 am alarm goes off, F@#K I meant to set the alarm for 4:15.
Get coffee, make a peabut butter banana sandwich, eat then jump in shower.
Loaded bikes into truck and head to beach, great missed a turn and somehow eneded up on the north bridge to the island, cones everywhere can't figure out where the F to go... Lets try here, dead end ok lets go to beach turn right.
Get to 7th and park. Try to pay but it won't take the money.
Head to transition, wanted to be there 5:30, get there 5:45 and my rack is already pretty full.
Set up my stuff and head over to my buddies rack. When I see him he is pumping his tires up and then unhooks pump, whhhooooooshhhh all the air escapes. His core broke off the valve stem yayyy. I have to go visit portolet, run over there deal with that and meet him at bike tech, get the tire changed and pumped for him and bring it back to him while he was finishing setting up his transtion.
Look at time and said I have to go to the start. Walk down the beach watching my clock, getting close so have to jog down beach, get to start jump in water for less than a minute. get in line for start. National anthem ( a little long winded singer) Pro's start watch 2 bust their a$$ going into water and think great if they are falling what will come of me...
Swim
  • 37m 21s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Race starts, run out to water and water is nice, a little crowded but not terrible. Make it to first buoy and make the turn feel like a salmon headed up river.
Make my attempts at drafting and stay with a few people for a bit, get to the 2nd buoy and look at my watch, 3:45 and think holy krap I am going slow or this swim is long. Next buoy, watch again 3:45 someone must have hit the watch in the salmon stream... push reset and keep swimming. Water is clear, I am siting the best I ever have, literally right next to every buoy.
Damn starting to get some rub in my under arms, always use deodorant under my arms, make the decision body glide from now on
See rays swimming along the bottom, see 2-3 different colored caps swim by me, damn these people know how to swim...keep pushing along and make that right hand turn, pick up a little push from the current Out of the water and there is my wife, so I start waving. She rarely can attend my events because of her study schedule so I am pretty happy she is there. SHe waves back and I am off :)
What would you do differently?:

Body glide instead of deodorant
Not much else I was fairly pleased with my swim I was expecting 32 minutes but that was working off a pool swim guestimate
Transition 1
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

Transition, body glide touch up, added under arms, shirt on belt on, bloks into back pocket of shirt glasses on helmet on and grab bike

don't run through showers, thought I would wipe sand off but when you get out of shower it leads you through sand so that was dumb
Bike
  • 1h 12m 42s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.51 mile/hr
Comments:

Mount Line- I run past a little bit as it is congested, jump on bike and stick my right foot in(always do left first not sure what heppened) was perfect insert and strapping, make the first turn and left foot insertion and strapped pefect, so happy with my mount, grab a sip of water and eat one blok.
Feeling good on the bike, going to be a great race. First climb not bad second climb a little tougher, on the backside heading down 35.1 mph, I ride motorcycles so sharp turns at speed don't bother me, everyone seemed to be slowing way down for the turn, out of aero and heads near brakes, a light tap and make turn and all set. Keep pushing on, 8.9ish is the split and I am feeling good, get to the bottle exchange, they are screaming water water. OK I will take one I always have 3/4 gatorade 1/4 water in my bottle and was craving water. Squuze a big shot down my throat, ahhhh not water! I guees it was accelaerade and warm at that. Spit as much of it out as possible and put the bottle in my back. Yayy got a free bike bottle but that taste was not what I wanted super sweet and now my mouth is not happy. Another UTurn and a few more minutes back into the climb. Averaging 21.3 at this point.
By the time I am at the last climb my average is fading. Last downhill quick right turn and head towards dismount, everyone is lollygaging here it seems like, push through unstrpa right foot, perfect. unstrap left, perfect, damn today Is my day going to be an awesome finish for me.
A nice Charlie Foxtrot at the entrance to transition, pick bike up and run all the way to other end rack bike quick look shows 20.7 avg for bike so I am pumped!
My goal for the race was 20.5 so as far as that is concerned I was happy.

The dismout line needs to mark better, there were numerous people having to jam on brakes, my wife said one person flipped handlebars, coming in too hot and not seeing the signs in time

2 bottles, one water one my normal mix
Transition 2
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

Bike racked helmet off visor on left sock on,left shoe on, right sock,er right sock come on get on my damn foot, ok sock on shoe on, open my cooler, take a quick swig of water, and grab a bottle for the run.

get sock on quicker, bulldoze people walking through transition?
Run
  • 1h 29m 9s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 14m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

mile 1 8 minutes, not bad goal is under 50 and will be happy with 52 so pretty comfortable.
mile 2 slowed drastically, went to a 2 min run 1min walk, spitting up stomache acid, can't keep water down, wish I signed up for classic would be the turnaround. Ok water here is cold at least. Mile 3, then turn around. Fading fast uhhhh fill up my bottle at the water station. and then it happens, my stomach informs me it will be releasing its contents very soon. No portolets... WTF do I do? ahhh jump off boardwalk and hit the trees...Nothing but air comes out...Ok back to the course not too long longer my stomach reaffirms it needs relieved. Ask a security guard where bathrooms are, he syas you just missed on at 33rd but there is one at 23rd, ok I am at 27th 4 blocks can't be that far can it? You know that feeling when you are almost home and you know you have to go and your stomach times it perfect? Yeah well I get to 23rd and 'run' down stairs to nothing, a building under construction and no bathrooms f@#k. Oh well bushes it is. wow much better thank god for sea grape leaves being soft...
well my day is pretty shot now, was on pace for a possible top 10 wasn't even sure if I was finishing. See some medics and wish I could take there o2 tanks with me. Keep on going feeling better jog into the finish grab water and straight to port-olet to finish up.

I don't know my legs are either there or not lately. I can run 7 minute mile one day and 10 the next. NOt sure what is causing,the major difference in time.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to transition, laid my towel down on ground and laid down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

great biathlon today, followed by a long walk on south beach boardwalk :)

Event comments:

I would like to see a portolet on the run at somepoint. The water at all but one station was warm-hot so that was not good.
A cotton shirt at an event this size was a disappointment, but a nice hat.
I really had a great time, other than the run. The event was fun and the crowd was nice. The volunteers were good as well.
Would love to do this race in the future to try and finish where I expected.
There were a few times I thought that I was not going to finish, my body was overheating and shutting down, glad I got through it...

Last updated: 2011-04-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:21 | 1640 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 0/662
Performance: Good
Suit: tri shorts
Course: out right swiiiiiim right in run
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:31
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:42 | 24.85 miles | 20.51 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: they said 4 bridges 2x each, I counted a few more, although not big they still had some incline
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:29:09 | 06.21 miles | 14m 22s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: 3.1 out 3.1 back
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %alot
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-04-11 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Nautica South Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2011-04-11 9:35 PM
in reply to: #3439738

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Nautica South Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance
and I broke a spoke on the bike
2011-04-14 5:07 AM

User image

Melon Presser

No idea you were a superclyde.

You look great.

You put in a great race despite some serious stomach issues!

2011-04-14 10:27 AM

User image

Expert

yeah I am a larger fellow can't turn down a good meal

Thanks

2011-04-15 1:47 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Good to hear that you had fun. Nice work on the bike too. And the bike is the most important part anyway.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica South Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed