BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-10-18 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3725085

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED
bad91 - 2011-10-15 3:17 PM

bzgl40 - 2011-10-15 1:32 AM  Sounds like you have a good winter plan going already.  I hear you about the swim.  I keep saying I am going to go get lessons then never do.  I've managed to correct some things through video but then I have to actually put in some swim time as well to get fast.   

I hear you!!  I get the Swim Smooth updates and I am always looking at videos too.  I know I ll get it some day.  

Did a 52 mile ride this morning.  Good times, legs a little sore but I am imagining the 13.1 mile run after this ride Surprised  I ll be ready by March!!

I love MR. SMOOTH! I have enjoyed some of the total immersion videos also. And we had an OWS clinic sunday that was very informative. One day I'll stop drinking so much saltwater.

2011-10-19 5:57 PM
in reply to: #3441467

User image

Payson, AZ

So my Garmin bit the dust.   So of course I ordered the new 910.   I was going to get a watch for the pool anyways and almost pulled the trigger right as they announced the 910.  But given the cost I was going to wait until the new year.  Oh well...

So I have two choices for swimming this winter.  I have a pool 3 houses down that is 25 yrds that is not heated.  I can swim in it until I cannot tolerate the cold anymore and then start using my wetsuit and have the pool pretty much to myself.  I know that the pool could ruin the wetsuit but if I rinse it off really well wouldn't it do ok?  Or I can drive the 10 minutes to the heated community pool but more crowded and forces me to go early in the morning. 

2011-10-20 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3730726

User image

bzgl40 - 2011-10-19 3:57 PM

So my Garmin bit the dust.   So of course I ordered the new 910.   I was going to get a watch for the pool anyways and almost pulled the trigger right as they announced the 910.  But given the cost I was going to wait until the new year.  Oh well...

So I have two choices for swimming this winter.  I have a pool 3 houses down that is 25 yrds that is not heated.  I can swim in it until I cannot tolerate the cold anymore and then start using my wetsuit and have the pool pretty much to myself.  I know that the pool could ruin the wetsuit but if I rinse it off really well wouldn't it do ok?  Or I can drive the 10 minutes to the heated community pool but more crowded and forces me to go early in the morning. 

My .02.  Heated pool.  You will be more comfortable, so you will swim more.  Getting up early just gives youextra hardness credits.  And the 10 minute drive is good for a smal cup of coffee.  I wouldn't want to swim in a pool in a wetsuit on a consistent basis.

As for me, I am also on a run focus, but it's been a bit bumpy.

MB 10K that my calf gave out so I walked 4 of the 6 miles (my wife was walking behind me or I would have just pulled the plug).  But came back from that to run 10K the next week and 9 miles the week after.   So back on track.

-Malibu 1/2 marathon - 11/13
-X Terra Crystal Cove - 12/11
-L.A. 13.1 - 1/15
-Surf City half OR Redondo 5K plus 10K - 2/5
-Then desert tri and 70.3

On other fronts, I bought a new Planet X TT bike, should be here this week.  Too many issues with the litespeed, and when the wife says "I think you need to buy a new bike," gotta strike while that iron's hot.

And, I am down 13 pounds since 9/1 

Oh, ETA since Brent is too humble, he was also on the podium at Hermosa.  That's what, 3 podiums in the last three races?

Edited by ChrisM 2011-10-20 12:15 PM
2011-10-20 9:49 PM

User image

Los Angeles

bzgl40-  Nice purchase!!!  

Chris-  I had a very good year.  lucky, i guess but I did put some effort into my training.  I am proud of my accomplishments. So thanks Chris for acknowledging me. One of the reasons, I came to this group was because you inspried me with your past performances.  I m just trying to emulate you.

I had a excellent coach and she was very supportive.  I still have a lot of things I want to do.  I really still need to lose another 30+ pounds and I want to be a better swimmer.  

I think I am also doing Crystal Cove and doing the LA 13.1 for sure.  I am also going to Palm Springs on Dec 4th for the HITS Tri.  

Doing some strength training and my body is real SORE.  I am doing whatever I can to prepare for Oceanside and Wildflower. 

I am tired too Laughing

2011-10-20 11:06 PM

User image

Well, you've done better placing wise than I ever have, so I think you've passed me by 

Are you doing the Oceanside/WF HIM double?  I did it in 07, and am doing it again next year.  WF is tough, but an amazing race.  Better start biking some hills.  Oh, and running hills too

Been thinking about a new garmin but I've got too much stuff to buy.  a new wetsuit is next on the list

2011-10-21 9:02 PM

User image

Los Angeles

Yes I am doing both....kind of a deal I made with my buddy....he was doing Wildflower and I told him to do Oceanside and he said he would do it if i did Wildflower...so I am going balls out of Oceanside and just going out for a nice swim bike and run at Wildflower.  

I am practicing my hills  BIKE and RUN!  

2011-11-01 6:33 PM

User image

Payson, AZ

I am still swimming in my neighborhood pool for now but I am sure I am going to have to give it up soon.  Sub-70 now.  I got in today and thought I would have to get out after 50 but it gets tolerable.  Too long though and you start to get cold.  The warm sunshine helps but soon our temps are going to lower.  I thought of getting into the hot tub between sets.

Did anyone over eat on the halloween candy?  I am not a big Halloween fan so thankfully I had none here to tempt me.  But one of my friends from back home in Canada posted his kids haul and I saw all my old favorites that you can't get here.  One little email to him and they will be mine.  I am trying to be good and resist though.  It's almost christmas and my family will send me tons.

Who has a race left this year?  I have Tour de Tucson, which went from 109 to 111 post registration.  What?  lol  I had friends lined up to do it but all of them are bailing and doing the shorter versions.  Lame.  So I went from a ride to doing it as fast as I can.  I'd say race, but you know, that involves speed.  I am going to give it all I can with as lame a training as I have had.

2011-11-03 6:00 PM

User image

I went easy on the halloween candy over at a friend's house.  Think I had 5 mini fun sizes?  They were OK, not great.  The Jack and Ginger on the other hand.......   I have been trying to be good so I can beat Brent to 205 before Calif. 70.3 to get my weight down this offseason.   Down to 217, which is 18# since 9/1.  I can tell that my running and cycling (what little I do of the latter) have improved a bit simpy by losing weight.

I have some runs left.  Malibu half marathon (first half in ages) on 11/13, then a 10 mile trail run 12/11 (as long as I can get my friends to go...).   Definitely a turkey trot, but not sure whether 3, 6, or 9 miles.

Then in Jan, have the LA 13.1, 15K in Redondo 2/5, then tri season starts all over

2011-11-04 8:39 AM

User image

Los Angeles

My issue with Halloween is the candy that people bring to work after.  It seems like everyone brought candy...I never go to the store to buy candy but if i see it at work it seems I am grazing on it!!!

I just started a swim class with TTS in Santa Monica for hte next 4 weeks...i hope to see some improvement.  I have a HITS in Palm Springs, Dec 4th.

Congrats Chris you are doing great with the weight loss.  I am too...slowly progressing.. i am at 225 and I am sure I may gain a couple of lbs this weekend as I am heading to Vegas for a boys trip.  

I have been training well and starting to ramp up even more.  I just hope to be half the person Chris is in Oceanside.

Anyways, I hope everyone has a nice weekend!! 

2011-11-14 3:33 PM

User image

Well, I'm a bit disappointed.  I've been upping my running (about 90 miles last month, on track for same this month, also running in hills quite a lot), lost about 18#, so thought my half mary would go a little better yesterday.  Granted, it was hilly, but...   First 4-5 miles I felt very good, in fact almost 2 miles went by before I even looked at the garmin (missed the 1 mile marker I guess).  Then the hills started.  absolutely died in the hills.  Was on pace for sub 2 at the halfway mark, but ended up 2:09 and felt like utter cr** the last 3-4 miles. 

I intended to go in as a training run anyway, and knew I wouldn't PR it (which is only 1:57), but really thought I'd perform better given the increased run training and weight loss. 

On the good news front, my calves didn't blow up on me like the 10K I did last month so I didn't have to get picked up by the SAG wagon like I feared 

I have a flat HM in January at which I hope to do better.

ETA - this is the full mary course map, you can the HM course had 5 miles of flat then 8 miles of fun (it's big, 4.3 MB)

http://www.malibuintmarathon.com/images/coursemap.pdf

Edited by ChrisM 2011-11-14 3:36 PM
2011-11-14 3:36 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
That's a bummer Chris, but, on the upside it still does sound like improvement based on previous recent results.  Keep plugging away.  Do you think perhaps maybe you started out too quick given that you felt crappy at the end?

2011-11-14 3:37 PM
in reply to: #3901782

User image

Probably, but my effort level was fine, HR in the 150s (low for me for running) and holding back, but I was running about 8:55- 9:10 mm, (which is fast for me).

2011-11-20 8:02 AM

User image

Payson, AZ

Did the Tour de Tucson yesterday.  All 111 miles.  I thought I had a comfortable bike seat...until I was on it for 111 miles.  lol  Race went pretty good.  I use to be a biker so being around so many folks doesn't bother me so much.  I saw a ton of down riders, some pretty serious accidents.  More then 1 person being loaded into an ambulance.  I was on pace for a really good race, but then my lack of training caught up to me.  I still ended up doing ok though.  I was ready to get off the bike though.

So all that being said, looks like I am gong to do an Iron distance race now.  I had decided not to do one but they are holding one in Nova Scotia, which is where I use to live and I have a ton of family there.  And I was already going to be in Maine on vacation during that time frame.  So going to head up and do the race while I am there.  Timing wise I'll get out of HIM training and step right into Iron training.  That is both good and bad I think.  My fitness will be there, but I will be ready for a break. 

Any words of wisdom about training for a IM Chris?

2011-11-20 8:04 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Oh, forgot to mention, I FINALLY have more then one pace in the pool.    Forever I was swimming about 2:10 per 100/yrds no matter if I was swimming fast or easy.  I made some changes to my pull and now I am able to swim a 1:50.  Still slow but progress.  I have a lot of muscle memory to undo.  So I am pretty stoked about that.  For those others in the group who are struggling, keep at it. 
2011-11-22 2:42 PM
in reply to: #3908783

User image

bzgl40 - 2011-11-20 6:02 AM

Did the Tour de Tucson yesterday.  All 111 miles.  I thought I had a comfortable bike seat...until I was on it for 111 miles.  lol  Race went pretty good.  I use to be a biker so being around so many folks doesn't bother me so much.  I saw a ton of down riders, some pretty serious accidents.  More then 1 person being loaded into an ambulance.  I was on pace for a really good race, but then my lack of training caught up to me.  I still ended up doing ok though.  I was ready to get off the bike though.

So all that being said, looks like I am gong to do an Iron distance race now.  I had decided not to do one but they are holding one in Nova Scotia, which is where I use to live and I have a ton of family there.  And I was already going to be in Maine on vacation during that time frame.  So going to head up and do the race while I am there.  Timing wise I'll get out of HIM training and step right into Iron training.  That is both good and bad I think.  My fitness will be there, but I will be ready for a break. 

Any words of wisdom about training for a IM Chris?

Congrats!   When's the race?   My only advice is be consistent, consistency is so much more important than any one single workout.  And I know you probably know this, but ignore what other folks are doing.  It's kinda like not talking to people before a class final, and finding out all the subjects you apparently never thought would be on the test!

2011-11-22 3:43 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
Race is July 1st (Canada Day, so it'll be fun to attempt to party that night. ).  I have a HIM on April 1st so I am going to figure out how much time to kind of recover from that before jumping back into IM training.  In some ways the timing is ideal and in some ways not.  Long time to train straight through.

2011-11-22 3:50 PM
in reply to: #3912202

User image

bzgl40 - 2011-11-22 1:43 PM Race is July 1st (Canada Day, so it'll be fun to attempt to party that night. ).  I have a HIM on April 1st so I am going to figure out how much time to kind of recover from that before jumping back into IM training.  In some ways the timing is ideal and in some ways not.  Long time to train straight through.

Don't be afraid to take time off.  I think about 6 weeks before IMAZ I took about 5-6 days and went on a dive trip, ran once when I was there but other than that just forgot about IM.  I came back pretty refreshed.

That's the one reason I may not ever sign up for an IM again, the training load is ridiculous.  I am much preferring the HIM training load, as it allows me a life.

2011-11-27 10:05 PM

User image

Los Angeles
still chugging along here.  HITS this coming weekend in Palm Springs.  I m doing the sprint.  Dont know why I am but i had an excuse to get away for 5 days...so why not.  Will see what happens...i ve been doing some good volume of training.  
2011-12-04 7:31 PM

User image

Los Angeles

Happy B Day to our Mentor, Chris!!!

Did the HITS sprint yesterday, I did ok..came in 3 rd in my age group and still waiting for the Clydesdale results.  I did a race report.   Just trying to still prepare for Oceanside in March.  I think I have 3 races left til Oceanside,  LA 13.1 in January, Race at the Base Tri in Feb, and Pasadena Tri in March.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20