Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 11/17
Run
  • 29m 17s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to run the 5K just hard enough to get my heart rate up but never get up to the point where I was in danger of blowing up. Right off the bat half of the group dropped me. I couldn't believe it seeing as how I started out around 8 min/miles. I had to talk myself out of even trying to keep up and make sure that I ran my race as it was going to be a long day. I was pretty happy to fall into pace with two other runners that kept me running just fast enough but didn't let me slack at all. It was a great way to start the day.
What would you do differently?:

I was happy with the 5k.
Transition 1
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Pretty good transition considering that all I had to do was swap my running visor for my bike helmet and swap shoes. I don't feel like I wasted time and was on my way fairly quickly.
Bike
  • 3h 23m 6s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.54 mile/hr
Comments:

Coach Marni had sent me a message to not be afraid test my training during the day. Endurance sport can be such a delicate balance between pushing that extra effort and remaining a little conservative to save what you have for the last leg of the race. In the end I probably erred on the side of conservative with the bike but I felt like I put forth a steady effort. I told myself that on the last turn around on the Beeline that I was really going to push it back and unfortunately that was when the wind changed directions and kicked up. I might have been able to ride a little harder but just wasn't sure what it would mean for the half marathon that was waiting.

I dealt with some lower back pain on this ride. I have had strained QL issues in the past and I am not sure if the 5k before the ride flared it or what but it definitely was hurting during the ride. I have worked a ton on strengthening my back and it has helped tremendously so I was surprised that it hurt during the race and I need to figure this out before Ironman training kicks into high volume!!
Transition 2
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

Swapped hat and shoes again and was on my way.
Run
  • 2h 28m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

I was pleased when I started the run that the lower QL issue from my ride seemed to entirely resolve itself. I started out running at a very comfortable pace and talked to myself about all of the bricks that I have run in training. There is no doubt that I was fatigued but it was a familiar feeling at this point. I told myself to run for two miles and then take a walk break and my goal was to hold that the entire time. I could not believe how fast the first loop went by and I was pleased that the Marquee course had some differences from prior Tempe races that kept things fresh and moving. It seemed like there was no end to the number of people passing me even though I was running at a good pace with little walking and I couldn't help but wonder how I could have possibly trained differently for the day. I reminded myself that my whole goal had been "balance" during this past season and I think I did achieve that. I put my family first and spent significant time at work on some big projects. I managed to turn my thoughts around and be happy with how far I have come and what I was accomplishing on this day.
As I came back to Tempe Beach Park I saw my husband and walked and talked to him for a few minutes. That proved to be a mistake as the thought of restarting after a 2-3 minute walk break seemed downright painful. My right knee and maybe ITB flared and from then on I was in some significant pain. I contemplated taking some Ibuprofen but decided that I was close enough to muscle through it. I made sure to weigh the consequences of continuing on the knee pain and decided I wasn't changing my gait and therefore hopefully not damaging anything. My pace significantly slowed in miles 7 and 8 and my thoughts returned to the death marches of yesteryear. I still felt much stronger than previous triathlons and told myself to take it one mile at a time. In my head I would repeat whatever the next mile was...9...9...9...come on 9. The countdown was definitely on at this point. Somewhere around mile 10 there was some significant swearing that swirled in my head and I think I even cursed Dorothy and her dog Toto about then. I also realized that I might not need to race two more half iron races before the full ironman as it was ever so slightly painful at that moment. Lo and behold mile 12 came and went and I had enough energy to kick it into gear and walk/run it in at a fairly good pace. A 2:28 half marathon was not too bad after running a 5k and biking 56 miles...I had plenty of time with all the cutoffs that day and I think it was a wonderful way to train for Ironman.

I don't think I would change a thing...maybe not stopping and walking after first loop. Fueling was good.
Post race
Event comments:

I would have preferred a triathlon to train for Ironman but there was nothing we could do about the condition in the lake that day. This race helped affirm that my training is coming along and that I have some more work to do, especially on the bike, but if I stay the course I should be ready for Ironman come 11-20-11.

This race reminded me why I love triathlon...err...duathlon so much! There are so many great people who I have met and the camaraderie that I get to share with them makes for an amazing event. It doesn't matter if they are the speediest age grouper or the last to cross the finish line when you stand together in transition pre race you all share the same nervous energy. We all bring different expectations and different training to the table but it doesn't change the fact that we each have some sort of expectation in our own minds about the day in front of us. Then when you are on the course these same people might be fighting their demons or having the race of their life but again there is a certain bond that you share on the course that day. Because of the way the course was laid out I got to interact with so many different people doing either the sprint, olympic and half distances. Every single one of them took the time out of their own head space to acknowledge and give me a wave or a cheer. It is these amazing people who make the sport what it is and remind me that I am truly blessed to be able to participate in triathlon.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-12-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:17 | 03.1 miles | 09m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/17
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Rectangle around Tempe Town Lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 02:06
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
03:23:06 | 56 miles | 16.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/17
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Course was two out and backs from Tempe Town Lake out to the Beeline crossing various roads in between. The course has been rumored to be long by at least a mile or more which would make sense because my data shows that I averaged almost 17 mph.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:57
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:28:00 | 13.1 miles | 11m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/17
Performance: Average
Course: Two rectangular loops around Tempe Town Lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-04-12 12:01 AM

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
Subject: Marquee Triathlon

2011-04-12 9:29 AM
in reply to: #3441472

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: RE: Marquee Triathlon
Lisa - you had a FANTASTIC race!  Your running has come such a long way, and this one should just build your confidence going into your training for the rest of the year.  Don't sweat the people passing you - there were some speedy folks out there.  You ran your race and showed that you are improving - keep working - it's paying off!!
2011-04-12 11:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Hey, great job and great RR!!!!! Enjoyed it!
2011-04-13 7:13 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Congrats Lisa! The day threw you a Duathlon and you stepped up! Youare ohysically and mentally strong. The IM run course is the same way- people and support everywhere, just feed off that !

2011-04-13 9:51 AM

User image

Veteran
, Arizona
Great race report! It really turned out to be a great day to race even with all of the crazy stuff that happened leading up to the start.  Good luck on your continued IMAZ training, it will be here before you know it!
2011-04-13 6:55 PM

User image

Expert
Phoenix, AZ
Such a great Lisa. You are such a speedy runner now! A 2:28 half at the tail end of a duathlon or triathlon is really great! Way to test yourself on both the bike and the run. I have no doubt that you also passed a lot of people and that in future races you won't see so many people passing you!

Great Job!

2011-04-13 11:43 PM

User image

Regular
Yeah Lisa! 
2011-04-20 9:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Awesome job Lisa.  Reacting to adversity and curve balls can really make you that much stronger 0 way to push through the aches and pains and finish strong!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marquee Triathlon Rss Feed