World Triathlon Corp.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 10m 24s
Overall Rank = 1489/1682
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 311/331
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:15 with a start -- turns out I had set my alarm for 4 PM. Thankfully, my body clock did it's thing (quite unusual, really) and in any event, hubster's alarm went off five minutes later. Still, it put me a wee bit behind. In any event, had a bunch to do -- hit the head, then filled my water bottles and finished pulling my race gear together. And, of course, made lunch for our sons, because what else would a Mommy do before going to run a half marathon? (They were off to go fishing with Grandpa and have some special dietary needs, so this was planned in advance and not a problem, I just wanted the sandwiches not to be too soggy).

Breakfast was a dilemma for me, actually -- Since September, I have been following a diet prescribed by my doctor/nutritionist team, and breakfasts have been a medical shake. Race day was supposed to be my first day of real breakfast, but there were still several foods off limits, including peanut butter, eggs, and dairy. I decided to go for a gluten-free but dense rice cereal, with blueberries, almond milk, and slivered almonds. I hope that was enough protein! But my tummy was fine, so it seems like it was a decent choice.

FIL arrived at 4:45, and we spent ten minutes giving him the scoop and loading car seats into his car. At 5 am, we were off for the ride to Clearwater. We blasted some Brittney Spears, of all things, but it seemed to work to psych me up.
Event warmup:

No real warm up. Wore a sweatshirt to keep warm (it was chilly at 6 am!) and warmed up a little with brisk walk from car to beach. Waiting in a long line for the rest room -- but was willing to wait, for a non-port-a-potty. Then headed over to the start.
Run
  • 3h 10m 24s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

At the last minute, I decided to try to stick with a pacing group -- the three hour pacing group. That was my goal, way back when, before I had actually had to put the training in for these half marathons. I was more prepared for this one than I had been for Gasparilla, but hadn't really done any speed work, so I wasn't sure I could do it. Still, I saw the sign, and my friend Jess recommended I give it a shot, so I did.

And so, off we went. We crossed the start line about 7 minutes in, as the field was pretty big. I met a few nice gals who were running with the "Pacer Duuude" (as one spectator called him). Pacer Dude's real name was Ben, he works at another branch of my favorite running store, and he was very, very serious about his job. He re-calibrated his foot pod at every mile marker and had trained on the treadmill at that pace. His wife happened to be the 3:15 pacer. At one point i joked with Ben that this must be very slower than his normal pace, and he brushed that off, but later he let slip that he did a training run at race pace -- 6:40. Um, yeah, this is PAINFULLY slow for you, Pacer Dude! But he was good natured and encouraging, and I was glad for him.

The first hella bridge was just after mile 1. And when I say hella bridge -- these bridges are quite steep and long, and I am used to training on pancake flats. I had to walk it, but I was able to speed up and catch up with Pacer Dude on the downhill. Around mile 5, I realized I needed to use the bathroom. There was a water stop with two porta potties, but there were lines, and I didn't want to lose that much time, so I quickly decided to bail from the line and catch back up with Pacer Dude. A little while later, there was another one at a construction site (not affiliated with IronGirl) with only 2 people ahead of me. But when someone came out of it commenting about how disgusting it was, I have up on it and once again, caught up with Pacer Dude.

I stuck with Pacer Dude for a total of about 6 or 7 miles. At that point, I felt like I needed walk breaks. I walked a little, then tried to catch up with Pacer Dude. Finally, we hit the last big bridge and I lost sight of Pacer Dude.

After that, it got tougher. For a little while, I hooked up with a gal named Nadine who was walk/running, a minute on, a minute off. That helped for about a mile -- and it was a tough long mile, on a stretch of road where they had narrowed the race course down to just wide enough to maybe be two abreast and no official water stops in sight. Then, out of nowhere, there were these two women who had decided that the gals looked hot and so decided to make their own water stop. Their water was COLD and they were so sweet. It was a highlight of the course.

Another highlight? When we finally did make it to the next rest stop, it was being run by a Daisy Troop. They had put up burma-shave style signs reading "Eight miles Down/Five to Go/Stop and Have/Some H20" And they were so DURN CUTE. It was encouraging.

Finally, though, Nadine was having trouble picking up run segments, and encouraged me to go ahead, so I did, and went back to running for a while.

At this point, it was so hot, but at least it was flat! At around mile 12.85, I saw a girl really struggling (it seemed from the heat) and I opened my water bottle and gave her the last of my water (she was holding a cup). She had someone with her, so I moved on.

After that, I ran. Just before the 13 mile mark, I heard Mike and Seth yelling my name, and I tried to speed up. Mike ran with me a tad, and when I could really see that finish, I took off at a sprint. Whew! Made it into the chute, got my medal and a water AND a muscle milk. Also, ran into Pacer Dude and let him know my time: 3:10. It's not 3, but it's not 3:16 either, so it's an improvement.
What would you do differently?:

As always, train more. I didn't have enough base in to be able to run a full 13 miles without stopping.
Post race
Warm down:

Best warm down ever! This says it all:

Drinks

OK, seriously, walked out of the chute and wandered over to the food area, which was pretty sucky. I couldn't eat the muffin, wasn't in the mood for the banana, and all ingredients of the sausage, egg and cheese burrito were off limits to me. The OJ offered was also off limits. We went and took some pictures in front of the backdrop, dropped our stuff off at the car, then made it to Crabby Bills just as it was opening. Aaaahhhh. A nice lunch of grilled fish and veggies and a tropical drink left us feeling much better. After our friends left, we went and laid on the beach for a while, and I got a henna tattoo on my calf to celebrate the day: a turtle with a 13.1 underneath it. Finally, we learned that we were still childless so we went to the movies. A date day with my hubby, hooray!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bridges and lack of training.

Event comments:

I thought the food was pretty crummy (and very parsimoniously distributed -- you really can't spare a banana or two for spectators?!?!?!). Also, I heard a lot of horror stories about the parking shuttles, so I was very glad to have gotten there early and gotten parking near the beach. Could have used at least one more water stop. Other than all that, though, had a blast. Very supportive vibe.

Last updated: 2011-04-10 12:00 AM
Running
03:10:24 | 13.1 miles | 14m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/331
Overall: 0/1682
Performance: Average
Course: Three tough hills in the form of massive overpasses. Very tough course for this neck of the woods!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-04-14 9:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Subject: Irongirl Clearwater

2011-04-15 4:31 AM
in reply to: #3447787

User image

Regular
Southern Indiana
Subject: RE: Irongirl Clearwater

Congratulations on a good race.  Very funny race report.

2011-04-15 8:40 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

Oh awesome, I remember you!  I think I was the girl who called Ben pacer dude when I caught up to you guys. 

Great job on the finish.  I lost him on the 3rd bridge too, but it was still a fun day.

Will you be doing the Women's Half in St. Pete in November?

2011-04-15 4:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Hi Nicole, I remember you too!  I think I will be doing the women's half in November.  I like doing different races than hubby, and the vibe of the women's races is nice.  Plus, despite the bridges, Clearwater is just so dang beautiful!
2011-04-15 6:14 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Awesome job!
2011-04-16 12:45 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Nice job Dina! Seriously, 6 minutes is very encouraging. As always, great attitude and sportswomanship during the run. Is this the run that the banana man was in last year? I remember you writing about that. Nice post run meal, too!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Irongirl Clearwater Rss Feed