Peoples Tri Series
20C / 68F
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 27m 1s
Overall Rank = 70/147
Age Group = M20-29
Age Group Rank = 12/20
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 after not really enough sleep, 2 pieces of toast and a coffee for breakfast. Arrived nice and early, over an hour before race start and got a good spot for transition, right near the bike course entry/exit.
Event warmup:

Roughly 300m swim
Swim
  • 29m 23s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

As the last race of this series, it seemed a lot of people elected to do the Oly, where they combine the men's and women's races into a single start. This made for a pretty packed course. For the first lap I felt like I couldn't move at all to get around people, because I was too tighly boxed in, which lead to reasonable frustration as I was stuck behind a row of slower people I couldn't get through. After the first lap things got a bit better but it was still difficult to manouvre. I think I swam reasonably well though, and the swim seemed to go quite quickly.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure what I could've done, perhaps started wide on the outside so I could swim with a bit less impediment, but not sure if it would've been faster
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Smoothest T1 yet. My suit stuck on the ankle where I had the timing chip, but otherwise it was a nice speedy affair. Had my best mount and foot-insertion into the shoes yet (kicked a shoe off in the last one). Had liberally applied petroleum jelly inside my shoes which stopped the tongue sticking to the top of my foot as has happened in the past. I do wish they'd publish transition times rather than including them in the bike and run times

Nothing, smooth as silk.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 51s
  • 40 kms
  • 32.94 km/hr
Comments:

I knew this was going to be a dirty draft-fest, but again decided to refrain and just ride my own race. There were MASSIVE packs, and I'd say 90% of people were riding in large groups. This hurt me in the AG placing, but I didn't let it bother me. The ride went really well, I stayed in aero the whole time apart from the turns, maintained a pace that was comfortable but still had me feeling tired by the end. I took 2 gel shots during the ride - one was right at the start (I forgot to take one before the race start), then another toward the end. Drank regularly and was happy with my hydration levels.

I possibly could've pushed a bit harder, but I don't know if I would've gained more time on the bike than I would lose on the run if I did
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Went very smoothly. Because my rack was near the transition entry I just carried my bike as I ran. This was my first triathlon in my Kinvaras and the tongue on them is quite flimsy and I had to spend a couple of seconds making it sit right so it wouldn't cause discomfort on the run

A bit of lubricant in the shoes might've helped a little
Run
  • 44m 47s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 29s  min/km
Comments:

The run went brilliantly. My legs felt fine, no post-bike jelly legs, and I was able to hit a good pace immediately. I overtook a LOT of people here - my guess is that my bike was relatively slow due to not joining any draft packs which put me behind a number of people of a lower fitness level. I ran the first 6-7km at a comfortable pace, HR around 158, then decided I could pick it up and ran to a 165-170 HR for the final few kms. I was only overtaken by one person on the run, a woman who was probably in the 40-49AG, running at a very impressive pace!

I possibly could've hit a harder pace from the beginning. I was weary about going too hard and running out of puff at the end. I finished feeling pretty exhausted so I don't know if I had much left in me
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't do a proper warm down of any type, but thanks to the brilliant location of the race I was able to go across the road and enjoy half a litre of a delicious Hoegaarden beer and some waffles at De Fontaine, a Belgium Beer Cafe. Then made my way to the pool I swim at for a session in the spa

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I still feel like there's low-hanging fruit to be picked with my swimming. My pool times are consistently faster than my wetsuit OWS times, which doesn't seem right. Otherwise I performed at or very close to what my fitness level would allow, so it's really just a matter of building more muscular endurance I think.

Event comments:

It's a good race in a great location, but they basically state the emphasis is participation rather than rules compliance which is a little bit of a pain.

Last updated: 2011-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:23 | 1500 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/20
Overall: 0/147
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix
Course: 3 laps of a triangular course, possibly a bit long as it's actually a 500m 3-sided box course where you cut diagonally across
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:51 | 40 kms | 32.94 km/hr
Age Group: 16/20
Overall: 0/147
Performance: Good
Time includes T1 and T2
Wind: Some
Course: 4 laps of a very smooth and very flat 10km course along the waterfront. Wind picked up toward the end and made things a bit tough, also rained for most of the first lap
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average