Set Up Events
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 26m 41s
Overall Rank = 72/435
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 21/81
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:15; ate, shaved and loaded car. Had to drive into city to go to office...could not find i.d. anywhere at home. Instead of leaving at 5:50 for race, left downtown at 6:25. Drove to race and found rain.
Event warmup:

Three minute swim and 10 minutes of stretching.
Swim
  • 24m 6s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

Was in wave three. Caught one wave before first turn and initial wave before second. Got in lots of traffic; took a kick to the neck/throat. Good sighting except on second half of third leg. Felt strong -- tried to remember to use legs instead of just letting them lag.
What would you do differently?:

I should have followed the leader longer for a draft on first leg of swim. Because of all the traffic, I had absolutely weak second leg. Third leg was better.
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Long way to run with bike. My rack was the very first bike from swim entrance...so I had to run the length of the transition area and then another 50-70 meters through grass and road to get to mount line. I passed one guy running with bike; that felt good.
7/81 for age group
52/435 for overall

Practice taking wetsuit off. It was the first time I wore it since the day I bought it and tried it in the store.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 23s
  • 24 miles
  • 20.75 mile/hr
Comments:

I took it very easy on all corners due to the rain. It rained before the race, all during the race, and after the race. I ate 2-3 Clif shots twice and drank from bottles (H20 plus Nuun) three times. Only one hill proved difficult and it got me twice. I sank into a cadence of the low 70s for the whole hill.

I could have pushed harder, earlier. I made a conscious decision not to hit anabolic levels at all on lap one...I could have done a few 1 minute sprints and still had time to "recover".
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Perhaps the first race where I didn't have any trouble running through both transitions. It was muddy and a bit of a trick not to slide out or slip.
29/81 for age group
72/435 for overall.
Comparatively, T1 was faster for me. I'll have to figure that out.

Simply move faster putting on shoes.
Run
  • 49m 40s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m  min/mile
Comments:

On mile three, I started to chase people. On mile four, I saw that my split was falling apart and I rededicated to focus. On mile 5, probably half a dozen women and men from my age group took me.
I ran right at the edge of capacity for probably 90 percent of the course. I don't think I could have split better, on that day.

Stronger uphills; more even splits. Keep working here. This is by far my weakest leg and the area where I've improved the most.
Post race
Warm down:

Found semi-dry clothes as soon as possible.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. This was as good as it gets -- trianing and etc. No mechanical problems, no cramps.
Overall, low heartrate of 117, average heartrate of 154 and high of 174. 2,890 calories. 1:20:22 in zone three heartrate.

Event comments:

Personal record! First race of the year -- not as fast as I had wanted (top 15% for age group) -- but it is a good marker on the way toward my A race which is on 5/14 on similar roads.

Last updated: 2011-01-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:06 | 1500 meters | 01m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/81
Overall: 15/435
Performance: Average
average heartrate 156. Swam to front in first 20 meters with one guy immediately to my right and one guy way off to the left. No problem sighting for first two legs. Got a draft off of guy to the right for 50 meters or so on leg 1, then he pulled away.
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction (Sleeveless)
Course: Three right turns, nice long straightaways. Rectangle around a penisula.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:46
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:09:23 | 24 miles | 20.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/81
Overall: 100/435
Average heartrate 149.
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Two loops; good roads, some hills, good sight lines only one tricky turn (downhill left hander with traffic.)
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90s
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:40 | 06.21 miles | 07m  min/mile
Age Group: 46/81
Overall: 194/435
Performance: Good
157 and 7:31 158 and 7:34 160 and 8:02 159 and 8:21 161 and 7:55 161 and 8:55 168 and 1:22
Course: Two loops. 150 meters through the woods on a muddy, slippery, root riddled trail. Rolling hills. Plenty of aid stations with cheery youngsters.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes