General Discussion Race Reports! » TakeOff: Trooper Kenton Iwaniec Memorial Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

TakeOff: Trooper Kenton Iwaniec Memorial Race - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Latrobe, Pennsylvania
United States
Total Time = 1h 02m 41s
Overall Rank = 86/111
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 14/19
Event warmup:

Jumped around trying to keep warm, and struggled to keep my hat and glasses on my head!
Run
  • 1h 02m 41s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Okay, the problem with this race was the wind. I should have known that things would not be great when, on my way to the race, I had to turn around because a road was closed due to a huge tree being down and blocking the road. When I got to the location and parked the car, I had a hard time even walking to the building where registration was. No one could hear the announcements made before the race started. All of a sudden, we heard the gun and everyone just took off. The first mile of the course was protected from the wind, but there were a lot of branches and debris all over the road. The second two miles were crazy windy. There were parts where I literally could not run into the wind. And, the inside of my ankles are marked up because as much as I tied to stop it, as I ran, my foot that was up was being blown into my other leg!! Add in the random rain, that when combined with the wind, felt like it was actually leaving marks on my face, arms, and legs. At one point, my glasses blew off my head! Finally, all I could do was laugh at the ridiculousness of the situation. There were SUSTAINED winds of 40 mph, with gusts of 50 mph.
What would you do differently?:

This was my first 10k, and I really wanted to finish it. I had hoped for a faster time, but given the day, I was happy with my finish. There is nothing I could have done that would have changed the outcome of the day. I was just happy to do it.
Post race
Warm down:

Went inside as soon as possible! Had a smiley cookie and headed home, where we had no power for the rest of the day!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just the wind!!

Last updated: 2011-03-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:02:41 | 06.21 miles | 10m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 0/111
Performance:
Course: 2 laps around campus, several hilly parts, but not bad!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-04-18 9:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Subject: TakeOff: Trooper Kenton Iwaniec Memorial Race

2011-04-18 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3452264

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: TakeOff: Trooper Kenton Iwaniec Memorial Race
Great job!!! you are a trooper Karen!!!
2011-04-18 3:59 PM
in reply to: #3452264

User image

Expert
Canada
Subject: RE: TakeOff: Trooper Kenton Iwaniec Memorial Race
Great result!!!!

Congratulations

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TakeOff: Trooper Kenton Iwaniec Memorial Race Rss Feed