General Discussion Race Reports! » Triangle Orthopaedic Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Triangle Orthopaedic Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Raleigh, North Carolina
United States
FS Series
Total Time = 1h 21m 38s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/5
Pre-race routine:

Was really nervous about this race. Haven't been in the open water since my last IM in 2009. Went down to the lake Friday night after picking up my packet just to see the venue. The bouys weren't out yet so I didn't get that 'they look so far away' sense. The lake was totally smooth not even a ripple and it was expected to be the same way tomorrow. Water temp was reported as 65 which is cold for me but I stuck my toe in and it didn't seem 'that' bad.
Did not sleep well. Too nervous about that swim. Visuallizatin really worked here. I just told myself that I was going to jump into that water and swim, pictured myself doing it over and over, there was no other option. Woke up in the morning with my stomach in knots but knowing that I would do this swim.
Had some coffee and Cream of Wheat, loaded up my bike and was off to the races.
Got everything set up, picked up my chip, got body marked and then found Lisa. I was 239 and she was 236 so we were right together. She told me that John would not be racing and Stan had told me yesterday that he wasn't coming. So it was just Lisa and I. Hanging with her and just chatting and watching the waves go off in front of us really helped me relax. Thanks Lisa.
Event warmup:

Wriggling into my wetsuit. Actually the weight is pretty good right now so it fit perfectly.
Swim
  • 18m 3s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall this was a very good swim for me. Probably the best I've ever had in a triathlon (I still have <10 open water tris).
I liked the way they did the start. It was a combination time trial/wave. We submitted a 100 meter time and they seeded us by our times. Then they started 5 people every 15 seconds. It worked very nicely to keep people from getting real jammed up.
I did have two times when I had another swimmer just keep running into me. A guy at the beginning and then a girl when I was 3/4 of the way to the first bouy. Oddly they were both sans wet suit but neither one could swim a straight line.
There weren't any sighting bouys, only the two turn bouys and no squiggly man on shore to sight coming in. I felt like I did a very good job of swimming straight today, didn't have to sight real often and was never headed off course when I did.
The water temp was cool but not unbearable for me. I wasn't even shivering and purple when I got out. Did wear the squid cap under the race cap.
Stayed very calm the entire way and there may have even been a moment or two when I almost felt like I was enjoying this swim.
Doubling this distance in just three weeks to do a HIM is going to be a serious challenge. Especially since my normal pool is closed after next week.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. During the training for the Umstead 100, I tried to swim on Mondays as a recover from my long weekend runs. Then it was almost 100% pull bouy since I was resting my legs. Over the past three weeks since Umstead I've tried to swim twice a week and do some without the bouy. So considering the limited swim training and what a weak swimmer I have traditionally been. I am happy with this.
Transition 1
  • 03m 55s
Comments:

Could not get that wetsuit off. I told Lisa that my goal was to get into T1 before she got out. I made it just barely. She was ready to go and removing the bike from the rack when I came in. Wish I had a snapshot of her face. Talk about Game On! That girl is serious in transition.

It has been suggested to me that I should cut my wetsuit cuz I always have a problem with it. However, I have a bigger problem with cutting this wetsuit. So I just loose time in T1. Oh well.
Bike
  • 34m 29s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 18.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt like I was pushing too hard at the beginning of the ride. Wasn't wearing a HR monitor but the HR was definately up there and I was sucking some air. Realized that I didn't have my bike computer set to show me the mileage and it's been so long since I've ridden my bike that I wasn't sure how to switch it so I just left it. I could see mph but with a rolling course it all over the place. I figured I'd be 35-40 minutes (hoping for 38) so I just went by that. Course maps might as well be latin to me and I'm not familiar with this part of town so I just rode hard. I knew Lisa was ahead of me somewhere. I pretty much matched her in the swim (which was a surprise), she beat me in transition, and I expected her to beat me on the bike but didn't want to give too much. I'd have to wait and see if my legs would respond with any speed after all the months of slow run training for the Umstead 100. Normally, I'd be able to catch her on the run if I didn't let her get too big of a lead on the bike.
Took one gel during the ride and probably should have drank a little more water than I did.

I wrote the above prior to the official results being posted. I actually beat Lisa on the bike by 50 seconds. Wow, I knew I was pushing the envelope.

Need to ride more. But I've done even less cycling than I have swimming, so again I was very pleased with this ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

A bit disorganized here. Didn't do any tris last year and my rustiness in transition showed here. Had trouble getting my bike shoes off. Didn't wear socks and my wet feet wanted to stick to the shoes.
Run
  • 24m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Did a run last week that consisted of 3 mile repeats that indicated that I might be able to hit an 8:00 pace today. I used to run very well off the bike and I was hoping that would still be the case. As I was coming in to T2 I seen Lisa as she ran the perimeter of the transition area starting the run course so I knew she wasn't all that much ahead of me. I was worried that I took too much time in T2 and made harder on myself than I wanted it to be. If she is running well she can do 8 min miles. Catching her was possible but certainly not a given.

Started the run with the same high HR and breathing that I started the bike with. The legs were doing OK but was having some difficulty getting a rhythm. The course was mostly greenway paths with some sidewalk. All of it a harder surface than I have run in the past 18 months. Was worried how the legs would respond to that but the legs weren't really the problem it was finding a rhythm. Never did find that place where all systems were in synch. Hit the 1 mile mark and looked at my watch which was right at 8:00, figured I'd never make up 30sec on Lisa by running 8min miles so I had to push harder. About a quarter mile later I got her in my sights and it didn't take too long to catch her. I was breathing like a steam locomotive as I caught her, said Hello, and ran on by. I would end up beating her by a minute. Shortly after passing her there was a long downhill and passed the 2 mile marker. I knew I could hold on for one more mile. I remembered passing this spot during the end of my ride and seeing the people running and wishing that I was one of those people 2 miles into my run rather than still on the bike with the whole run ahead of me. As I watched people riding by, I knew they must be thinking the same thing now about me.

I used to run a sub 22 min 5K at the end of a sprint tri, but considering the training I've done for the past two years, I am happy with this run and very happy with the whole day.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for Lisa to come in, got something to eat, chatted with Alex for a few minutes. Lisa had to leave. I hung around for the awards and picked up both of ours. I was second and she was right behind me in third.

Turns out that Lisa is the perfect little rabbit for me. Thank you.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running my first 100 mile race three weeks ago. Body has recovered OK from that but my recent training has included very little swimming and very very little riding.

Event comments:

Very good day for me. I needed to have a day like this. I kept thinking 'I have no idea why I signed up for this race' I just needed to get back into the triathlon mindset and figured doing a sprint might be the best way to get there. Good Idea and Well Done! The visualization of the swim and having Lisa there to start with made a huge difference for me. I was ready for the water when the time came.

26 out of 73 women overall
Swim 49 of 73
Bike 19 of 73
Run 17 of 73

Last updated: 2011-04-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:03 | 820 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Zenith full
Course: Triangle with bouys on the right.
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:55
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:29 | 10.5 miles | 18.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/5
Wind: None
Course: This course wasn't bad. Some rolling hills but also some nice downhills. Some of the pavement was a bit wet and I'm a real chicken on turns anyway so they always slow me down. Pavement was good. The spots that did have pot holes were marked although I'm not sure if that was from the race officials or the DOT.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:00 | 03.1 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5
Course: Rolling hills
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-04-24 1:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Subject: Triangle Orthopaedic Sprint Triathlon

2011-04-24 6:28 PM
in reply to: #3463265

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: RE: Triangle Orthopaedic Sprint Triathlon
Phew, going from a 100 miler to a sprint triathlon? That is quite a change of pace. Nice job conquering your swim fears. Keep doing it and it should get easier. :-)
2011-04-25 1:43 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Congrats!!!  2nd AG Nice Job!!
2011-04-26 3:35 PM

Nice job and placing!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triangle Orthopaedic Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed