Illinois Marathon
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 44m 42s
Overall Rank = 433/2131
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 57/172
Pre-race routine:

My wife Anne and I drove down the afternoon before the race. We picked up my race packet and goodie bag, then walked around the expo. The expo was a little dissapointing. With an event that big, I expected it to be a lot bigger. There was some booths there set up to advertize other upcoming races in our area. Anne picked up some headphones that are supposed to stay in your ears better when you run. We met our friends, who I was racing with at the expo and went out to dinner. The Olive Garden had a long wait, and our friends son Christopher was 2 and not that patient. So we went across the street to Bob Evans where I had a Chicken and Noodle deep dish dinner. That's been my usually pre long run routine to eat a good mix of carbs and protein without anything that would be upsetting to my stomach. I also made sure I was fully hydrated by the time I went to bed. We then headed over to a friends place about 40 minutes from the race course. We stayed the night with them. In the morning I ate a packet of organic oatmeal and mixed in a 1/2 cup of raisins and crushed pecans. I continued to drink water to stay hydrated. We drove over to the race course to meet up with my friend I was running with
Event warmup:

I arrived about 1/2 hour before race time. It was 50 degrees but the the wind was picking up to about 25mph and felt pretty cold. I immediately got inline for the bathrooms. While in line I started doing some high steps and jumping up and down. I put a sweatshirt on to stay warm. They really didn't seem to have enough port-o-john's for the amount of people there. It took 25 minutes to get through the line. I was really worried I was going to miss the start and not meet up with my friend. Later, on the course I found out some people just got out of the line and waited for the first bathroom stop on the course. I got through and had just enough time to meet up with my friend and get to the start. That was thanks to my wife, who was on the cell phone coordinating the meet while I was in line.
Run
  • 3h 44m 42s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I had pretty good run. This was my first marathon and I was really feeling myself. I lined up with the 3:30 pace group and stuck with them up until mile 20. AT the halfway point I got to see my wife screaming for me, cheering me on. While I felt pretty good still at that point, the memory of that kept me going in the later stages of the race. When I ran McMillan's calculator, I actually thought the 3:30 group would be "safe", being I should have been with the 3:15 group according to the calculator. But I wanted to make sure I finished my first marathon so I played a little safe. I started fading at the 20 mile mark. Maybe, the wind played a little factor in that today. I'm not upset about it at all though. I really wanted to enjoy the run and get a marathon finish under my belt. I also have a HIM coming up in July and didn't want to destroy myself for that race. I also ran with my friend for about 15 miles. He dropped off the 3:30 group after that. While it would have been nice to finish with him and have a friend to encourage me, and vice versa, in the later stages of the race, I was feeling pretty good that it wasn't me that got dropped. Two years ago I couldn't stay with him for a mile, and here I was dropping him on mile 15!!! After the 20 mile mark I kept the 3:30 group in my sights out in the distance for 3 more miles. I then started really hurting. I walked through the water stations and walked some a little after them from then on. The 3:30 group was gone. The volunteers were really great checking on me and other runners who were walking and obviously hurting, and spectators were really cheering us on. As I was walking and talking to anohter runner I saw the 3:40 group go by me at the 24 mile mark. I then decided to give it everything I had and run the rest of the way to the finish. I knew I did my training, followed my nutrition plan, and had a good fitness base. So I ignored the pain and kept putting one foot in front of the other. It wasn't enough to stay with the 3:40 pacer, but it was enough to hang on and get me to the finish. I kept thinking how badly I wanted to see my wife, who was cheering me on earlier, and how badly I wanted that finishers medal hanging on my neck!!! That kept me going. Once I turned into that stadium with all the people, there was nothing stopping me. I got finished!!! and had that medal hanging on my neck!!
What would you do differently?:

Have a better plan to meet up with my wife after the race!
Post race
Warm down:

walk around, recovery drink, pasta, pizza, fruit and lots of water!!! After that I went back to my friends house and put my feet up for a while

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It was a little windy, and I'm inexperienced. In my training I kept going further and further and it got easier and easier. The biggest thing that will make me faster is more training

Event comments:

This was a big venue race and an incredible finish. But the finish was really bad for spectators. Very difficult to see the people crossing the finishline from where they were allowed to be.

Last updated: 2010-12-28 12:00 AM
Running
03:44:42 | 26.2 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 57/172
Overall: 433/2131
Performance: Good
Course: The course was a winding loop around the Champaign area. It was pretty flat with some rolling hills. Nothing major to climb though. The weather is the big factor at this race. You never know what your going to get in Illinois in late April. You can pretty much count on rain and wind this time of year. Luckily, the rain held off today. It was a bit overcast at times and the wind kicked up. Winds were about 25mph. It was at our backs for the start, but we did a winding loop. So there were definitely some spots it was beneficial to tuck in with the draft of other runners to stay out of the wind. On the course there seemed to be water and gatorade almost every other mile. There were volunteers everywhere, guiding us, giving us water/gatorade/oranges/bananna's, and spectators cheering us on. The half way point went through downtown Champain. There seemed to be spectators everywhere cheering us on. It was really great! The finish was incredible for the runners! We came down the main street of the University of Illinois campus and turned into an alley. There we went through a tunnel that led onto the U of I football field, where we crossed the finish line on the 50 yard line! There were volunteers there to give medals out, get us water, and aid if we needed it. They had ice packs, wraps and a feed station with pasta/pizza/fruit. It was truly impressive being finishing in the stadium. The only downfall was for spectators. They had to stay in the stands several yards away from the finish. It was hard to see and lacked that up close and personal finish I've had at most of my tri's and other events. It was even more difficult to find your family after the race. I guess they had an area in the stands for the runners to go find their family. I guess it's my fault for not reading through the 40 page race info packet! LOL I had a really hard time finding my wife. We ended up looking for each other for over an hour. Eventually, we both went back to the car and re-united. I was really happy she caught a glimpse of me at the finish. She had a picture of it, but had to zoom into it really far to make me out. I guess that's one way to force people to pay for the race pictures!! :)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-02 9:39 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: Christies Clinic Marathon

2011-05-02 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3477352

User image

Expert
Canada
Subject: RE: Christies Clinic Marathon

Brian,  Great race report!

Excellent effort.  Be proud, you are a fast marathoner!

Cool

2011-05-03 12:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA

You did great in your first marathon!  Congratulations.  It sounds like it was a fun venue.

Karen

2011-05-03 2:50 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Congrats!  Marathon completed.
2011-05-03 3:21 PM

User image

Elite