Overall Rank = 68/1657
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 13/152
Run
  • 3h 21m 42s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran the Full Marathon at the Orange County Marathon today and the plan called for me to run it @IM Pace. This translates to an 8:00 MPM Pace and would have given me a projected 3:30 Finish Time.

I ran the first half in 1:43:xx and was just a couple of minutes ahead of pace. This was a bit unnerving for me since I had taken in some pretty good hills on the first half and ran a couple of the downhills way too fast for my goal.

At the end of mile 14, I stopped at the Loo to drop the kids off at the pool. I have this routine down cold and was in and out pretty quickly and seemed to catch up to the group I was running with again pretty quickly.

Not long after the Loo was the Mile 15 Marker and I clocked an 8:10 for that mile. Heck, I will take it since I did have a stop in there. Then before I know it, I am at mile 16 and my watch split showed, much to my horror, A 6:38 Minute Mile

I thought maybe the MM was out of place and I asked someone with a garmin what he thought. He said it seemed to be off a bit but when I asked him his pace, he said a ~7:00 MPM and I was passing him eek:

I missed MM 17 and hit the next one in 14:20 and then a 6:05. Something was definitely wrong with the MM but I was definitely not running my target pace. No way I ran a 6:05 mile at this point in the marathon when my 5k PR is not even at that pace.

As I continued to run, I blew past so many folks, some who had passed me earlier in the first half, and by mile 18, I was running like a "dog with a bone in his teeth". Then I was running alone with only a couple of folks way ahead of me and I was catching up to them fast. (Now i was racing )

In the last 3 miles we were heading into the jaws of a steady Hot Dry Wind but I was not going to let this slow me down much. With so many runners wilting in the heat and the wind, I was blowing past everyone. I made up a lot of placement on the field in the last 10k. I passed my final runner right at the finish line.

The whole last half, I was getting lots of comments from runners and spectators for how strong I was running and I never felt bad. (Until I stopped in the finisher's chute when I gagged on some G'Ade)

Some stats that I am sure of:

Finish Chip Time: 3:21:42
First Half: 1:43:00
Second Half: 1:38:42

AG Place 13th
Overall: 68th

3rd fastest marathon (Missed 2nd fastest by 1 minute)

And... I now have a BQ for 2012. My time is between 5 and 10 minutes faster than the standard so I can register early. (I think on Friday rather than Monday) I am not going to even think about Boston until after IMCdA in the end of June.

As a tuneup race, I guess it was a success. I did ~14 miles @ IM Pace and more importantly, got a good read on my current fitness; in spite of the fact that I sandbagged the first half of the race. I don't trust some of the splits but I do trust my time for the second half.

The real test is going to be how many days of recovery is required. I was really putting on the damage late in the race but I feel pretty good. My plan was to train through it but I might need a day or two to recover. I have a ride planned for tomorrow (Commute to Work) and we will see how creaky I am.

I want to give a big thanks to IRFB for his encouragement throughout the day. He was riding from point to point on the course on a Mtn Bike cheering for some of his runners and he took every opportunity to cheer me on as well. (Thanks Man, I owe you one)

Also have an awesome run and lunch with IRFB, 395Guy and 261. I suspect that our little training run on Friday (On the Course) paid some huge dividends on race day because I got to see and feel what was coming. (Part of the course in Newport Beach was reworked this year)
What would you do differently?:

Run my target pace and maybe wear a garmin since the MM were obviously out of place.
Post race

Last updated: 2011-04-15 12:00 AM
Running
03:21:42 | 26.2 miles | 07m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/152
Overall: 68/1657
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-02 1:13 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: OC Marathon

2011-05-03 10:29 PM
in reply to: #3477950

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: OC Marathon
Nice work, Tim. That's one hell of a negative split!
2011-05-04 12:46 AM
in reply to: #3477950

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: OC Marathon

Congrats on the BQ!

(Careful on the training through it...I came off LA Marathon last year feeling really good and "trained through" to IMSG...ended up developing ITBS two weeks after the mary that was still an issue for the IM.  Be nice to yourself.)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » OC Marathon Rss Feed