General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mach Tenn Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-05-02 3:20 PM

User image

Murfreesboro
Subject: Mach Tenn Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread

Scheduled for Saturday, June 4th in Tullahoma, TN.

Anybody else doing this event? 

My first time doing OWS.  Any suggestions?

Edited by tgober 2011-05-02 3:22 PM

2011-05-04 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3478235

Subject: RE: Mach Tenn Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread
Woot! My friend and I will be driving up for this one as well.
2011-05-04 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3481498

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I'm doing this one.

It was my first ows 3 or 4 years ago. Fortunately it is a time trial start. However, there is still some bumping and swimming on top/next to each other, especially going around the first buoy.

It would be great if you can get some ows experience before the race. If not, you need to practice sighting while in the pool. You will only be able to see about 1 foot into the water. It is very murky. This is probably the biggest difference between pool and ows.

2011-05-05 12:03 PM

I'm not familiar with the area so forgive mah ignorance. But what are the chances of getting in some OWS practice the day before this event? Is it okay to just jump in and have at it?

This is also my first OWS so I'm contemplating driving up on Friday and spending at least a half an hour in the lake. Or any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Edited by BC4UA 2011-05-05 12:06 PM
2011-05-05 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3483779

Estill Springs
BC4UA - 2011-05-05 12:03 PM

I'm not familiar with the area so forgive mah ignorance. But what are the chances of getting in some OWS practice the day before this event? Is it okay to just jump in and have at it?

This is also my first OWS so I'm contemplating driving up on Friday and spending at least a half an hour in the lake. Or any other recommendations would be appreciated.

This will also be my first OWS. The swim is at a public recreation area so a swim on Friday would be doable. I live in the area and wouldn't mind some sort of meetup to give it a go.

2011-05-06 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3483779

User image

Murfreesboro

Not many people can get any OWS'ng in right now.  The lakes are so high, murky and full of debris.  I bought a new Vortex Wet Suit 3 weeks ago right before all the rain.  They have closed all the boat ramps and public recreation areas until Pearcy Priest Lake subsides.  I've been practicing sighting in the pool.  It is something to get used to.  I'm confident I'll get in a few OWSwims before this event....even if I have to take a vacation day!

2011-05-09 9:42 AM

Interesting info, thanks.

I'll talk to my friend, and as we get closer to the event we can nail down a time that we can meet up as a group and swim in the lake the day before. Not quite sure how my work schedule for that Friday is going to play out just yet.

2011-05-09 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3489042

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

It is a fun race. Getting ows experience before it is invaluable.

Edited by Blueraiderzone 2011-05-09 12:32 PM
2011-05-26 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Has anyone else signed up for this race?

I'm wondering what the water temp will be. It is supposed to be warm for the next 7 days. I'm wondering if it will be wetsuit legal.

2011-05-27 5:59 AM
in reply to: #3520089

User image

Murfreesboro
Blueraiderzone - 2011-05-26 11:52 AM

Has anyone else signed up for this race?

I'm wondering what the water temp will be. It is supposed to be warm for the next 7 days. I'm wondering if it will be wetsuit legal.

I'm registered but may have to back out of this event.  I injured my right foot 2 weeks ago during a long run.  Not healing quickly enough.  Currently not able to run.  Have till Tuesday to back out with a refund.  Going to the doctor today.  I imagine it will be close on the water temperature. 

2011-05-27 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3521277

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
I hate to hear that. I hope you get feeling better.

2011-05-30 11:54 AM

my husband and I are thinking of doing it - will be our first open water swim and only our 3rd Tri - heading down to Wood's this afternoon to check it out - rented some wetsuits and plan to swim a bit just to get some experience.  all are welcome to join us - leaving Murfreesboro around 2:00.

Sarah L

2011-05-31 4:23 PM

Given the unseasonably hot week we're going to have, I'm curious about the water temp. The plan was to drive up the night before, get some wetsuit practice in, and race saturday. But if wetsuits are going to be disallowed I might as well just drive up that morning.

Any other thoughts on if this one will be okay to wetsuit up?

2011-05-31 8:26 PM

we swam at Woods yesterday (Monday, May 30).  The water was very comfortable.  The ride director was there with her thermometer - and still very undecided about wet suit status.  We swam without wet suits around 3:00 p.m. and were quite comfortable.  Surface temps were probably low 80's, deeper was lower 70's.  This will be my first OWS and I do not plan to wear a wet suit - tho I spent the money to rent one and will take it with me just in case....Undecided
2011-05-31 11:19 PM
in reply to: #3526181

User image

New user

BC4UA - 2011-05-31 4:23 PM

Given the unseasonably hot week we're going to have, I'm curious about the water temp. The plan was to drive up the night before, get some wetsuit practice in, and race saturday. But if wetsuits are going to be disallowed I might as well just drive up that morning.

Any other thoughts on if this one will be okay to wetsuit up?

Last year it was about like this and the water ended up being 80 deg race morning.  According to the rules, if the water is above 78 deg, but below 84 deg, you can wear a wetsuit, but won't be eligible for awards.  It was my first long open water swim and I'm not a strong swimmer, so I wore mine anyway.  I saw a few others who did the same.  If I have a really good day I may make top 10 in my age group so I may wear mine anyway this year.

Just make sure you drink plenty of water before the race and on the bike because by the time you get off the bike, it will be very hot.

2011-06-01 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3526767

User image

Murfreesboro
Had to pull out of this race.  I've torn my Peroneal Tendon and cannot run for a while.  Doctor said I can still swim and cycle since they don't impact my heal.  May need surgery.  I'm pretty disappointed.  The race director was very nice and agreed to refund my entrance fee.  Ya'll have fun and be careful.  Best of luck to everyone! 

2011-06-02 8:06 AM

Sorry to hear about your injury, hope you heal up quick!

Looks like wetsuits are out for those looking for AG awards. RD just emailed out that the water measured 81-82 on the 1st.

Any good pre-race dinner places to go in this area? Not real familiar with the Tullahoma/Winchester area.

2011-06-02 1:47 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

I'm signed up and will be there.  Sorry you can't make it.

The RD (Melissa?) is really awesome to have refunded your entry.  That's rare.

2011-06-02 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3485900

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
tgober - 2011-05-06 3:15 PM

Not many people can get any OWS'ng in right now.  The lakes are so high, murky and full of debris.  I bought a new Vortex Wet Suit 3 weeks ago right before all the rain.  They have closed all the boat ramps and public recreation areas until Pearcy Priest Lake subsides.  I've been practicing sighting in the pool.  It is something to get used to.  I'm confident I'll get in a few OWSwims before this event....even if I have to take a vacation day!

2 of the folks on my swim team did a swim at Percy Priest Tuesday night.  No issues.  The lake isn't 'closed' to swimmers....meaning they aren't prohibiting you from swimming...they can't legally.

The metro park division can close parks but not the water.  the army corps doesn't control swimming in any way.

I heard no reports from them about water conditions being negative in any way.  So swim away!

2011-06-02 2:12 PM
in reply to: #3529483

User image

Murfreesboro
JeffY - 2011-06-02 1:47 PM

I'm signed up and will be there.  Sorry you can't make it.

The RD (Melissa?) is really awesome to have refunded your entry.  That's rare.

I agree!  Can use the money!

2011-06-02 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3529507

User image

Murfreesboro
JeffY - 2011-06-02 1:57 PM
tgober - 2011-05-06 3:15 PM

2 of the folks on my swim team did a swim at Percy Priest Tuesday night.  No issues.  The lake isn't 'closed' to swimmers....meaning they aren't prohibiting you from swimming...they can't legally.

The metro park division can close parks but not the water.  the army corps doesn't control swimming in any way.

I heard no reports from them about water conditions being negative in any way.  So swim away!

Yep.  The water's good now but back in early May when I posted that it was entirely different.  I'm heading out to Anderson Road Beach in Nashville in the morning to do an OWS around 7am if anyone wants to join me.  Swimming doesn't hurt my injury. 

2011-06-02 8:35 PM
in reply to: #3528702

Estill Springs
BC4UA - 2011-06-02 8:06 AM

Sorry to hear about your injury, hope you heal up quick!

Looks like wetsuits are out for those looking for AG awards. RD just emailed out that the water measured 81-82 on the 1st.

Any good pre-race dinner places to go in this area? Not real familiar with the Tullahoma/Winchester area.

On the square in Winchester there are four choices. John T's (BBQ), Arezzo's (Italian), Reggie's (Fish and chicken), Scallywag's (burgers, wings and such). I've eaten at all, John T's the most, and like all of them. There is also The Steak House, good salad bar and steaks. It's located on the main road going into Winchester, can't miss it. Nothing else really except for fast food, Chinese, or Mexican. 

Tullahoma has Applebee's, Red Lobster, Ruby Tuesday's and fast food. Local stuff: Nicholas' (Italian), Gondola (a llittle bit of everything: steaks, pizza, pasta.), Bear's Pizza, and few Mexican and Chinese places.

Both towns also have a place called Raphael's, mainly pasta and pizza. But while I like the spaghetti, for me the sauce is a bit to spicy for the night before an event.

Hope this helps.

2011-06-03 7:59 AM

Cool! thanks for the info. I wanted to try a local place without fear of wrecking my body in the morning Laughing
2011-06-03 9:17 PM

Extreme Veteran

good luck to those racing tomorrow!

2011-06-06 12:38 PM

So how'd everyone do?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mach Tenn Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2